Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Line

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    06:34 PM

Re: The Line

Ah.

Get to it people, you didn't finish the thread yet.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    01:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Tan View Post
    The reason I asked is because Im interested in addictions (and people overcoming them) an thoght the post finished short.
    ..oh yeah, and Im an alcoholic.
    I have an addiction to cigarettes.

tis never easy to overcome addictions, I believe you really must want to quit and you must have the motivation to carry it out.

fuzzy butt

Yeah but what is "motivation" to quit something ? .....................what is the motivation factor?

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    07:34 PM

I dont have any addictions except maybe the internet

My hubby smokes and he drinks, he has tried to quit smoking but always fails but I dont think he tries that hard and also he is so bloody grumpy when he is trying to quit he is almost unbearable to live with.

He drinks everyday, he likes a rum and coke and usually has 1 to 3 glasses a night but I wouldn't say he was an alcoholic or dependant on a drink like he is on the cigarettes. He doesn't HAVE to have a drink, he enjoys having a drink, maybe that's when the line crosses to an addition, when its no longer just for enjoyment and at your leisure, when its necessity and forms a way of life.

I also believe some people have addictive personalities and if they beat one addition they get hooked on another, be it knitting, reading, sex, food, ect

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    12:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy butt View Post
    Yeah but what is "motivation" to quit something ? .....................what is the motivation factor?
    Im not trained in the field like Mystery is but I believe the answer to that can be as individual as the person, though I should think there are probably some fairly generic answers as well.

Hitting rock bottom for many is the motivation. When the choice comes down to do I choose to live or do I choose to die that can end up being the turning point.
    In my mind that brings up the question of choice. It appears to me that if in the end you choose sobriety then you had that option from the beginning.

Could be the threat of losing your family, killing someone, losing your job, health reasons, arrested for DUI....everyones rock bottom is different.
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    10:34 AM

Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    This was a good question from the Recovery Forums intro thread. Thought it deserved a thread of its own.

It crosses the line the moment you desire a drink because of how you feel.
    "Sometimes it's entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledgehammer"

fuzzy butt

See I don't get that understanding Erik. people have a drink for all different reasons, all different feelings are in emcompassed with reasoning.

See, we have "beer o clock" signifying the end of the working day and time to relax. But all those who do this are not alcoholics.............its just a way of ending the day . I also have a friend who finishes her day with a swim in the pool every single day no matter what the weather . this signifies in her mind "the end of the day " time to relax.
    I think being addicted to a trend or lifestyle in which certain habits need to be accomplished to feel whole and therefore living within a culture is evident but that is very different to needing a drink the mintue you get up in the morning .

I think there is a big huge gigantic difference between a physical biological need and a psychological need.

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    01:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy butt View Post
    - this time saying no!...and maintaining that.

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    06:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    It crosses the line the moment you desire a drink because of how you feel.
    On that extreme definition of alcoholic addiction I've been an addict since I left school and I still am. I've had two glasses of wine in the last month but I invariably drink when it suits my mood at the time. Two glasses of an interesting blend from Corbieres which, I thought, worked rather well with the chuck steak I'd braised in mushrooms.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    10:34 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    On that extreme definition of alcoholic addiction I've been an addict since I left school and I still am. I've had two glasses of wine in the last month but I invariably drink when it suits my mood at the time. Two glasses of an interesting blend from Corbieres which, I thought, worked rather well with the chuck steak I'd braised in mushrooms.

What you say is true, you are addicted. However, you are diciplined enough to keep your addiction from interfearing with your day to day life. Your self dicipline is what seperates you from what people consider an alcoholic because you are in control, instead of the alcohol. You become addicted to something the moment it becomes your way of dealing with your feelings or emotions. You get into trouble the moment your addiction starts taking priority in your life be it a drug or activity.

When you look past the stigma you can see that addiction is a matter of prospective. We have to decide for ourselves where the line is which requires us to understand our own addictive nature. The question to ask is "why",
    "Why do I need this thing to feel better?" knowing the answer to this question is vital to maintaining control and staying productive.

We all have addictions of some kind. Its a part of being human.
    "Sometimes it's entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledgehammer"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast