Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: The Line

  1. #21
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,461
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    03:34 AM

    Re: The Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    We all have addictions of some kind. Its a part of being human.
    Mine, however, don't include alcohol. What you're missing from your attempt at a definition is "craving", preferably chemical-induced on the brain itself. We're back into dictionary definitions again and whether words can be unreasonably stretched by people who want to change the world.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  2. #22
    LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LOOK BEHIND YOU
    Posts
    25,797
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    08:34 PM

    Re: The Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    What you say is true, you are addicted. However, you are diciplined enough to keep your addiction from interfearing with your day to day life. Your self dicipline is what seperates you from what people consider an alcoholic because you are in control, instead of the alcohol.

    I was a functioning alcoholic. I would drink every night but only just enough to get drunk and still get up in the morning and function at work. The weekends starting at 5:01 pm were a free for all. Id get obliterated, pass out then start in again right away.
    Non stop for years on end.
    I was "disciplined" only because I knew I had to keep that particular train rolling which required keeping a job.
    Extremely convoluted existence if you could even call it that.
    I dont believe I ever thought I had things under control.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,324
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    07:34 PM

    Re: The Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I was a functioning alcoholic. I would drink every night but only just enough to get drunk and still get up in the morning and function at work. The weekends starting at 5:01 pm were a free for all. Id get obliterated, pass out then start in again right away.
    Non stop for years on end.
    I was "disciplined" only because I knew I had to keep that particular train rolling which required keeping a job.
    Extremely convoluted existence if you could even call it that.
    I dont believe I ever thought I had things under control.


    I agree, certain humans can still function in life with their additions well in place. Really the addiction is the moving and demanding urge, all other urges must serve it, or exist to support it. An additction then is a habit that you are supporting, that is really not a good habit for you. But you are getting something from it, that will maintain itself over the years, reguardless of how much of yourself is actually against it.

    Addiction then is a habit that a significant part of your own self is really against. Its a struggle, that you never seem to complettely be free of. Addiction then is the freedom you are taking to hurt yourself, and enjoying the freedom. But eventually the joy turns to pain. It is intentional suffering, as well as expectant suffering, that you must continually adjust your life too.

    Peace.

  4. #24
    Senior Member guppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,796
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    09:34 PM

    Re: The Line

    You have crossed the line when
    at the mention of any get together or social happening..you decide if you will go or not based on the fact ..can you drink there

    when you lie to your familly and friends so you can drink

    when you abandon your responsibilites at work..as a parent a spouse, or a son or daughter to your parents. so you can drink

    when you are only hanging out with other "drinking" freinds..when you cannot remember when you did anything with a nondrinking friend..

    when you drive while intoxicated..

    when you have blackouts or memory loss..or claim to have so as not to have to acknowlege your stupidy while drinking

    when you start picking fights with your spouse so as to get away so you can drink..and justify it..you have went to far

    when you cant keep a promise to appear somewhere at a certain time or do something with family or friends because you lose track of time or start drinking and cant stop..

    when you start missing work because you are too hungover to show up

    when you have unprotected sex or adultery because you are too drunk to care..

    when your family or friends start asking you to slow down drinking..you have went to far

    when you are agitated or hostile because you want to drink..you have went to far

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:34 AM

    Re: The Line

    I am no expert and will never pretend to be. I did have a serious addiction to 'Diazapam'. I am not blaming my GP for a moment but he would just write the script as and when i wanted them. Within a few months, i was taking double to what i had been originally prescribed. This was mixed with sleeping pills that i am still on.
    There was a lot of talk about refering me to dependency clinic's as the dosage was getting ridiculous but it never happened.
    In the end i decided to do it myself.
    I was horrified to find i had severe withdrawal effects and it was hell but i did do it myself and did it within a few weeks.
    As i said, i'm far from qualified to talk on the subject but i'd be happy to share this with anyone else if it helps in any way.

  6. #26
    Junior Member xxoakxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:34 AM

    Re: The Line

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    ....We're back into dictionary definitions again and whether words can be unreasonably stretched by people who want to change the world.
    This is an interesting idea, and I do believe there are those who want to see change in others and will use the label given a negative connotation, to express that. But to use the label about yourself is like drawing that line based upon your self honesty of where you are in life, and where you would like to be. You dont always get where you want to be, but the journey towards that horizon can be amazing.

  7. #27
    Few bricks short... Mystery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Louisiana
    Posts
    761
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    09:34 PM

    Re: The Line

    Nomad, that was an excellent answer regarding the motivation to quit. It's different for everyone, whether internal or external in nature.

    Oscar, Glad to hear you made it thru the withdrawal. W/D from Benzodiazepines is one of the most severe, actually.

    As for how you know if the line is crossed, I think there are threads around here that I posted to simplify the requirements for a technical diagnosis, and guppy's post covers a lot of it.

    But...

    To put it simply, being addicted means you have a need (it can be physical or psychological, contrary to popular opinion) for whatever your substance of abuse is in order to function properly. Problem with that definition is that many people believe an alcoholic or addict drinks/uses every minute of every day and that's not true. In fact, the vast majority of alcoholics/addicts are functioning in daily life, if for no other reason than to a. prove they can; b. support their habit; or c. continue in denial. (those are among others, of course)

    I use a complicated number of tools and assessments in my job to make accurate judgments on this, and still whether someone is an addict/alcoholic is ultimately up to them.

    I also wanted to address what Eric was saying - the underlying reasons for use of substances is generally related to emotions, or the manipulation of how one feels (i.e. trying to feel "normal", etc). I'm not sure if that's what you were getting at, but if it was, it's accurate. However, while it may start out that way, it becomes (sometimes quite rapidly) more a necessity than a choice.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,324
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    07:34 PM

    Re: The Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I agree, certain humans can still function in life with their additions well in place. Really the addiction is the moving and demanding urge, all other urges must serve it, or exist to support it. An additction then is a habit that you are supporting, that is really not a good habit for you. But you are getting something from it, that will maintain itself over the years, reguardless of how much of yourself is actually against it.

    Addiction then is a habit that a significant part of your own self is really against. Its a struggle, that you never seem to complettely be free of. Addiction then is the freedom you are taking to hurt yourself, and enjoying the freedom. But eventually the joy turns to pain. It is intentional suffering, as well as expectant suffering, that you must continually adjust your life too.

    Peace.


    Addiction is the continual pacification of the missing link in your life, and the abuse of trying to find it, by pacifying yourself. Rubbing your own ego, pating your feelings on the back, and gaining pleasure by pacifying your mind and body. Intentional indulgence, making your passions overweight. Making yourself King or Queen, being Lord over your desires.

    Addiction is a maze. It could be a Love Maze. Misdirection, but steady movement. Always moving but never really getting beyond your own pleasures. Its marching in place, and doing the same thing over and over again, while always expecting different results.

    Peace.

  9. #29
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,461
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    03:34 AM

    Re: The Line

    Not bad, Mickiel. The "continual" strikes me as a core aspect.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  10. #30
    Senior Member Tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    446
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    08:34 PM

    Re: The Line

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I was a functioning alcoholic. I would drink every night but only just enough to get drunk and still get up in the morning and function at work. The weekends starting at 5:01 pm were a free for all. Id get obliterated, pass out then start in again right away.
    Non stop for years on end.
    I was "disciplined" only because I knew I had to keep that particular train rolling which required keeping a job.
    Extremely convoluted existence if you could even call it that.
    I dont believe I ever thought I had things under control.
    I am a functional alchoholic. I'm down to about every other night now. I dont get sloshed. I do however crave more all the time. I've been justifying the fact that it's acceptable because I'm not a 'bad drunk'. I dont hurt anyone, drive or do anything really silly. I do know, however, the long term it has mentally, psychologically and financially.
    I know I have strength to get total control.

    Tan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. your new line
    By scholle-kid in forum Word Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
  2. What's the first line?
    By weinbeck in forum Christianity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 04:58 PM
  3. way Way WAY Over The Line!
    By Accountable in forum Current Political Events
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM
  4. I will be off line. . .
    By Tria in forum Members' News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 10:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts