Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Astrology and all that.

Magenta flame

Astrology and all that.

Found out something interesting last night.

Astrological signs. The interesting bit?
    Well they were completley made up by the mesoppotanians (spelling) who stood around one night and invented the game "join the dots", to apparently explain their night skies. This understanding came down through the ages to the Egyptians who thought they could do a better job of the understanding the messoes' had, and built pyriamids etc. based on the skies. Added another important star Cyrius to the equation because it came up over the horizon about the same time as the Nile flooded, bringing new life and crops etc etc. ...they figured it had something to do with the star. (the star still came up during drought though... so go figure)
    Then we had the greeks who thought they could do an even better job and added a few gods and a couple more constellations.
    Then one day 'old claudie' (Ptolemy) came along and whilst in a mathmatical stupor decided the earth was the centre of the universe confirming all those who came before him were right. Churches everywhere began incorporating astrological signs on and around their alters etc etc.

And here we have the problem......THe astrological signs are based on the earth being the centre of the universe....Well, we know it isn't, so the constellations mean absolutely nothing...So to believe your horoscope to be true YOU also have to believe the earth is the centre of the Universe. .Plus over the passage of time the Constellations have moved one whole constellation so basically if you were born in Aquarius your actually a Capricorn if your an Aries you are most definately now a Pisces......

SO who believes in Horoscopes and Astrology?......Come over here......A little closer........Just a little more ........WHACK! ......Now go out and get yourselves a life you idiots!

Here endeth the lesson

anomaly
    Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    06:55 PM

Re: Astrology and all that.

I had to double check. I thought this might be in "Just for the fun of it". Too bad I was wrong.

Life is what you make it. So I've heard.

mrsK

The part about astology I have trouble with & I wish someone could explain it to me................here goes.

We all have a certain birthdate that we obviously share with a whole lot of other people.
    We have a big horse race in Australia The Melbourne Cup,I was reading all the stars when the race was on & the astrologers where giving lucky numbers out for each star sign.

If they knew the winning numbers wouldn't there only be 3
    1st,2nd,3rd??

This is a serious question,anyone who is into astrology ,can you explain for me?

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta flame View Post
    Found out something interesting last night.

Astrological signs. The interesting bit?
    Well they were completley made up by the mesoppotanians (spelling) who stood around one night and invented the game "join the dots", to apparently explain their night skies. This understanding came down through the ages to the Egyptians who thought they could do a better job of the understanding the messoes' had, and built pyriamids etc. based on the skies. Added another important star Cyrius to the equation because it came up over the horizon about the same time as the Nile flooded, bringing new life and crops etc etc. ...they figured it had something to do with the star. (the star still came up during drought though... so go figure)
    Then we had the greeks who thought they could do an even better job and added a few gods and a couple more constellations.
    Then one day 'old claudie' (Ptolemy) came along and whilst in a mathmatical stupor decided the earth was the centre of the universe confirming all those who came before him were right. Churches everywhere began incorporating astrological signs on and around their alters etc etc.

And here we have the problem......THe astrological signs are based on the earth being the centre of the universe....Well, we know it isn't, so the constellations mean absolutely nothing...So to believe your horoscope to be true YOU also have to believe the earth is the centre of the Universe. .Plus over the passage of time the Constellations have moved one whole constellation so basically if you were born in Aquarius your actually a Capricorn if your an Aries you are most definately now a Pisces......

SO who believes in Horoscopes and Astrology?......Come over here......A little closer........Just a little more ........WHACK! ......Now go out and get yourselves a life you idiots!

Here endeth the lesson
    While most of what you say is true............some of it isn't.
    Copernicus actually was the father of modern astonomy/astrology. He did believe the Earth was the center of the universe.

Modern astrologists are not so stupid. They use the Sun as the center of our SOLAR SYSTEM and use the tides of our solar system to do horoscopes. They account for the movement of the planets. The distant constellations have nothing to do with astrology other than they gave it some very cool names.

While I like to dabble in prediction..............life is what you make it. You best think on the positive side for a positive result.
    The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    02:55 AM

I think the thing to do in this case, is to have fun with astrology, and if you are into it, then enjoy it, as it is quite a fun thing, whether its the Chinese or our more commmon astrology, but you should remain aware that really, there is no proof that any of these ideas could actually be real at all, or based on anything tangible, certainly in strict scientific terms, there is no basis for astrology whatsoever, thats the reality, so its best to remain sanguine about such things, and don't live your life according to your stars, but to yourself. Again, it is fun though, and there always little intruiging things like character traits that seem to have an element of truth in them, though I think this (if it is true, and not just anecdoctal) is based on the idea that babies born at certain times of year might develop slightly similar characterisitics, I am not sure how this would actually work though. Interesting.
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Galbally View Post
    I think the thing to do in this case, is to have fun with astrology, and if you are into it, then enjoy it, as it is quite a fun thing, whether its the Chinese or our more commmon astrology, but you should remain aware that really, there is no proof that any of these ideas could actually be real at all, or based on anything tangible, certainly in strict scientific terms, there is no basis for astrology whatsoever, thats the reality, so its best to remain sanguine about such things, and don't live your life according to your stars, but to yourself. Again, it is fun though, and there always little intruiging things like character traits that seem to have an element of truth in them, though I think this (if it is true, and not just anecdoctal) is based on the idea that babies born at certain times of year might develop slightly similar characterisitics, I am not sure how this would actually work though. Interesting.

Agree and coolage.
    The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    02:55 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nvalleyvee View Post
    Agree and coolage.
    Whats "coolage" me dears?
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."