Thread: Irish Family Names Research

All Human Life Is Here... capt_buzzard's Avatar
    Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    03:46 AM

Re: Irish Family Names Research

Quote Originally Posted by libertine
    Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland!
    Could it be Cameron?

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time
    07:46 PM

I have never seen CAMERON offered as an alternative spelling or surname. The only options I've seen are various spellings with the 'K'

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclancameron.htm

http://www.macbraveheart.co.uk/cameron/

The name is thought to be derived the Gaelic "cam-shron" meaning "crooked nose" but the earliest records show the name as "Cambron" which may indicate that it originated in Camberone (from the Gaelic "cam brun" meaning "crooked hill" - now Cameron parish) in Fife. However, there is also a Cameron placename in the outskirts of Edinburgh and in Lennox. To add to the confusion, there is a Cambron in Flanders and the Cameron coat of arms differ only in colouring from those of the family of Oudenarde, nobles in Flanders.
    posted by libertine
    I have never seen CAMERON offered as an alternative spelling or surname. The only options I've seen are various spellings with the 'K'
    Gaelic names spelled phonetically end up with all sorts of weird spellings.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/clans_index.htm

A word of warning. Don't assume this is a comprehensive or accurate list. there is a lot of pretentious claptrap and myth surrounding the clans.

posted by Letha
    I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

Strange they have a seat in Scotland, yet the name clearly says they are Irish.
    The Scots were a celtic tribe that invaded what was the land of the picts from Ireland. Irish gaelic and scots gaelic are very similar (not a native speaker so I don't know how similar) so don't be surprised at the name sounding Irish

Their name became synonymous with the country. In reality Scotland's people are a mix of pict, strathclyde Britain, anglo saxon, norman (E,G, Robert de Bruce), viking and nowadays poles, italians..

posted by libertine
    Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland!
    If you are curious there is a lot you can do on line

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/bdm/historic.htm.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by libertine
    That Carnahan or Kerohan. Many Irish people changed the spellings of their name when they first went to the New World - USof A. What about Callaghan or Kollogan? I'll keep checking them out here.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Thompson ( also Mac Comb & Thomson)
    This name is very common all over the 32 counties of Ireland, but even more so in Ulster in Counties Antrim & Down. Thomson is the prevalent form in Scotland and Thompson is the common spelling in England. However, the great majority in Southern Ireland spell it also this way. In Ulster, the name was altered from Thomson to its present English form.
    However, the personal name was early borrowed into Scots Gaelic as Tomas pronounced Tomhust. The name was also anglicised as Mac Tavish, Mac Thomas, Thompson, Thomson and MacThomais MacCombas and so on.

A William Thompson, 1805-52, was a naturalist born in Belfast, son of a linen merchant.

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Thanks. The Carnahans were a radical bunch, purported to be pirates in the north of Ireland. They eventually gained a little respectability, as soldiers against Mary Tudor's army. They were apparently strong Calvinists! They emigrated to Scotland and then back again. James Alexander Carnahan was reported to have 14 sons. three of whom came to the U.S. in the late 1700s.
    However, the aforementioned is all tradition..I don't have a shred of documentation, except for the emigration part! And the succeeding generations.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lon
    Tanner------Hornbuckle------Mc Farland----Sterling
    McFarland is Scottish

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kensloft
    Let's try O'Donoghue/Lynch. Kerry and Cork. Still lots of family in the region.
    Apparently they were the last clan to be subjugated under the English.

My grandfather was one of the first "Bobby Peele" Bobbies of Ireland. After the revolution the local church posted a sign on the church doors telling the parishioners not to bother him. They didn't.

My grandmother was a nurse and the community appreciated her work. Before they were married her family owned a pub in Dublin. They sold it and went to live in the country on a farm.
    Do you know the name of that Pub? or where in Dublin it was? O'Donoghues and Lynch is very Irish indeed. I'll check them out tomorrow and post some interesting stories for you.

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Try Crosby and Tippins. Although Crosby is a British name from County York, I believe, a group of Crosbys went to Ireland, and another to Scotland.

John Crosby is said to be buried in some famous "we think a lot of you" place. LOL. Also, there seems to be some connection with Crosby Hall in London, now a cafe? Is that right?

I know nothing about the Tippins line.
    Any information on any of these branches would be fun.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Kensloft,

Donohue (also O'Donohue and O'donoghue)
    Donohue, in Irish Gaelic O' Donnchadha (pronounced Donn-nah-ha), like Donaghy and MacDonagh, stems from the personal name Donagh. It is most common in every town and city in Ireland. But most common in Counties Cork,Kerry Tipperary and Cavan.
    O'Donohue Clan
    www.odonoghue.co.uk

www.dublinpubscene.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast