Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Family Names Research

All Human Life Is Here... capt_buzzard's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    10:50 AM

Post Irish Family Names Research

What's your name? What was your mother called? And her mother? What was your father's mother's name? Most of us know at least a few of the surnames that make up the heritage of our own families.
    And I know that many of you will not want to reveal such here, but for that - one can Pm me and I will do my best to help in any way I can.

Irish, Scots & English names.

There are many many Irish people now researching their own roots here in Ireland, and its just amazing what they have found, some have even discovered that their grandparents were English or even French. A new and very interesting world has opened up for many.

NO Messers Please
    Last edited by capt_buzzard; 01-29-2005 at 05:50 PM.

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    02:50 AM

Re: Irish Family Names Research

I come from Kennedy that married Connors that married Davison. Yikes the British wed the Irish. No wonder I want to blow myself up on occasion. (just joshing)

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    10:50 PM

Tanner------Hornbuckle------Mc Farland----Sterling

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

What makes it harder is that many of the names, especially gaelic ones when written down were spelled phonetically and the pronounciation altered to make them easier to say. ch for instance, most english speakers can't pronounce words like loch or lochaber properly. names like michael for instance, unless i stop and think about it i tend not to say it with the ch sounding like a k. The glottal stop is another regional aberration

Same with spanish and norman names, a lot were altered to make them easier to pronounce. It's when you start digging in to names you begin to appreciate what mongrel nations we all are. All the tribes mixing together. Makes extreme nationalism and ethnic cleansing even more silly than it is already.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    01:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc
    What makes it harder is that many of the names, especially gaelic ones when written down were spelled phonetically and the pronounciation altered to make them easier to say. ch for instance, most english speakers can't pronounce words like loch or lochaber properly.
    That's easy, it's pronounced "ch", *not* "ch"!

names like michael for instance, unless i stop and think about it i tend not to say it with the ch sounding like a k. The glottal stop is another regional aberration.
    Same in many places... the glo'al stop.

Same with spanish and norman names, a lot were altered to make them easier to pronounce. It's when you start digging in to names you begin to appreciate what mongrel nations we all are. All the tribes mixing together. Makes extreme nationalism and ethnic cleansing even more silly than it is already.
    The mixing is going on much, much faster now.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by koan
    I come from Kennedy that married Connors that married Davison. Yikes the British wed the Irish. No wonder I want to blow myself up on occasion. (just joshing)
    LOL,
    Kennedy, this name can be of Irish or Scottish origin. The name is very common here in Northern Ireland & Southern Ireland, in counties Antrim in the North, and Dublin and Tipperary in the South.
    The name in Ireland was originally O'Kennedy, Gaelic O'Cinneide(pronounced O'Kennada.). The O'Kennedys decend from Cennedig, a nephew of Brian Boru - King of Ireland. They were very important people at that time, and indeed some time later too as many became Lords and Ladies in County Clare and County Wexford ( John Fitzgerald Kennedy US President 1917-1963, descended from a Wexford family)

As we travel to Northern Ireland, We find that these Kennedy's came from Scotland, and were probably in remote times of Irish stock. MacKennedys, as the name is very common in Dunure in Ayrshire.

John Pitt Kennedy, 1796 - 1879, colonial engineer, was born at Carndonagh in County Donegal. The great road he built from Simla in India to Tibet.

Sir Robert Kennedy, 1880, was born at Culta, in County Down, He became governor of Gambia, Western Australia,Hong Kong and Queensland.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Davidson ( also Davison)

Davidson means, obviously enough 'Son of David', a personal name from the Hebrew Dawidh which meant 'beloved one'. Davison means son of Davie, a pet form of the name. The Clan Davidson or Clann Dhai (pronounced Dahe) descends from David Dhu.
    Some of the Donegal branch of the family Mac Daibheid, anglicised to Davison and MacDaid, can also be found in Counties Tyrone and Derry in Northern Ireland.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

Strange they have a seat in Scotland, yet the name clearly says they are Irish.
    Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by letha
    I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

Strange they have a seat in Scotland, yet the name clearly says they are Irish.
    Stay tuned

Local Date
    06-20-2019
    Local Time
    02:50 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast