+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Addictive Personalities

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:27 PM

Re: Addictive Personalities

All recovery programs do, is replace one addiction with another. Why do you think everyone in AA smokes like a chimney or drinks twelve cups of coffee or both. Think about it.

HBIC

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    08:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerGal View Post
    All recovery programs do, is replace one addiction with another. Why do you think everyone in AA smokes like a chimney or drinks twelve cups of coffee or both. Think about it.
    Yes I also heard this. So what do they do, just go and drink coffee and smoke? There must be more to those meetings than this.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    11:27 AM

if that is true then i want to exchange my diet mountain dew addiction for............................................... ...........................................
    sex.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    09:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    No, it's a compulsion...an obsession. "as you would think of" being the operative phrase. Once the line of dependence is crossed, it becomes a using to live situation rather than a recreational activity. Now, once they're made aware of the problem, and then offered an alternative and a solution, some may make the choice to go back to it, but that's part of the obsession as well. It's a vicious cycle, as I'm sure you're aware.
    GEEZ............I hate to agree with you........but I have have many addictions in my life.............most of them compulsive mental thoughts and not full blown chemical addictions.

When I drove a lot of miles I would play an alphabet game......finding any word on sign posts from A-Z. It took me months and months to stop playing that game in my head when I quit driving 800 miles a day. I find myself doing stupid stuff like that in my head all the time.............I accidentally see a pattern and then compulsively look for it. I have to stop myself!
    The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

Some addicts find the Lord. And they say that cures them. But does it really? Or do they then find another addiction and just get rid of the addiction that is killing them? I mean, there are a lot of things one can become addicted to.....gambling, sex, can anyone think of any other addictions? Heck even the Internet.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    05:27 PM

This is where I get so frustrated with what help is on offer at the moment. I feel progress is so slow in regard to mental health.

I have heard people say " oh the mother kicked the cat when he was a boy so this excuses anything that comes after" in a despising way, but it appears the childhood is crucial. I certainly don't want to be one of those bods who seem stuck in a time warp of some saddness from way back but it's hard to move forward when advice seems so dilute and there can be major disagreements within the profession. I liked Alice Miller for a while but even she turned her back on her therapist roots.

So I guess, in terms of addictions. We should be trying to achieve balance; which isn't easy in an unbalanced world.

Regarding ; playing games in the head with looking for patterns etc. I think it's because our minds are hungry and lively. Personally if I don't have a few library books knocking around I panic. I need to entertain my head.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cinamin View Post
    Yes I also heard this. So what do they do, just go and drink coffee and smoke? There must be more to those meetings than this.

Actually, those meetings are full of recovering alcoholics and addicts sharing their experiences, strengths, and hopes. Not all people smoke in them, and not everyone drinks coffee ( I haven't had a cup in months, although I don't know how I could get by without it!). In fact, come to think of it, at the meeting I went to last night there was one pot of coffee made, and half of it was left after the meeting.

To each his own. Not every program works for every person. But these programs have helped millions.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

Actually, those meetings are full of recovering alcoholics and addicts sharing their experiences, strengths, and hopes. Not all people smoke in them, and not everyone drinks coffee ( I haven't had a cup in months, although I don't know how I could get by without it!). In fact, come to think of it, at the meeting I went to last night there was one pot of coffee made, and half of it was left after the meeting.

To each his own. Not every program works for every person. But these programs have helped millions.
    Yes it would seem that the support there would be a good thing. But many of the people who go to those meetings are ordered by the courts.

I have known people who go to the NA or AA meetings and then stopped going saying that they "found the Lord". But do they really, or do they just find a new addiction? One that isn't as crippling to their bodies such as gambling or sex. I know that this happens. REplacing one addiction with another or newer or even older addiction. I guess maybe an addict can be addicting to lots of things. It's like they think this way.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cinamin View Post
    Yes it would seem that the support there would be a good thing. But many of the people who go to those meetings are ordered by the courts.

I have known people who go to the NA or AA meetings and then stopped going saying that they "found the Lord". But do they really, or do they just find a new addiction? One that isn't as crippling to their bodies such as gambling or sex. I know that this happens. REplacing one addiction with another or newer or even older addiction. I guess maybe an addict can be addicting to lots of things. It's like they think this way.
    Yes, there are many that are ordered by the courts to go, but sometimes the way you get there doesn't matter, if you embrace the idea of recovery, you can still get better.

As for finding the Lord, I suppose that's for each individual. The program of AA (or NA) is a spiritual program and nothing to do with religion. They term it finding a "higher power", which can be anything from God to a rock. It's based on each individuals' understanding of their own powers. Switching addictions is certainly something that happens. However, if you take those programs and work them the way they're meant to be worked, addiction of any kind is what you recover from.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    05:27 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    The term addictive personality is sort of redundent, because addiction itself is, in a way, a personality. One who is addicted to one substance has the predisposition to be addicted to anything. What you're speaking of above is switching addictions. That's, just as you described, when an addict finds another "outlet", if you will.

Addicts can't just stop. That's why they're addicts. It's not a personal decision or a choice, as you would think of.

It's not that the person wants to stay addicted. In many cases, the knowledge that they are addicted doesn't exist. Denial is extremely powerful. Added to that, it's difficult (speaking as an addict here) to put two and two together. My life wasn't bad at all, until my addiction progressed to a point where it became that way. I had terrific parents, a great family, etc. It was me that was different. Addiction affects your thinking, your livign, your everything. It's not just use of a substance. In fact, the substance used is just a symptom of the actual problem. For me, personally, I hid my addiction because deep down on some other level, I felt shame. But, no matter what, I still couldn't overcome that impulsive and compulsive behavior, and the obsession with getting just one more hit. Addiction is a disease, just like diabetes, or heart disease. It's a chronic and progressive illness that leads to death if left untreated.
    I hope I'm not being intrusive? Thank you for what you have shared.Would you say then that " the love of a good woman" couldn't do much? Also if an addictive personality is known about, why aren't we warned about this to look out for as parents? We are told how to spot possible dyslexia, shyness,drug taking, but what would an actual addictive personality look like as a child I wonder?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast