+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Politicians lying and getting away with it

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    08:06 PM

Re: Politicians lying and getting away with it

I'lll have a look at the Telegraph. Don't think I could digest the Economist though.

I worry that young people are put off politics by the reputation key figures have. I think they feel somewhat ignored but if they were at the table more then their interests could also be thought of.

I have always found our class system in this country to be divisive. I don't understand really how the two sides can be reconciled, although it happens more these days than days of yore I guess. I have no money and none in my family and Iwent to a disaster of a school, I can't honestly hate those who DO come from families with pots of the stuff and have already attended a school which will set them up with all the right contacts, but the help that was supposed
    to be set up to help children from poorer backgrounds get a first class education seems to not expand at much of a pace and the schools in my location make me sad, really sad, they don't seem any better than those in my day,. I just expect things to improve but as always money is given as a reason for standards slipping owing to not enough extra support teachers; and I read parents should unite to demand improvements but I think some parents feel excluded from the picture at the Secondary School stage. It doesn't feel like an even ground.

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    11:06 AM

I agree, sharedfastlane. Young people shouldn't be daunted by politics but should be encouraged to get involved - it is important that they realise they can make a change. Have you heard about the school lottery system? I think it is only used in certain areas but it basically means that final year primary school children are placed in their local schools at random (as opposed to being able to choose the school they want to attend) so as to lessen the problem of parents bying houses close to a certain school, house prices going up and excluding lots of potential students. I was lucky because my local comprehensive school happened to be quite good but I know lots of people who had no choice but to attend a bad school simply because it was the closest to them...it shouldn't be so hit and miss.

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time

Yikes.......the Lottery system sounds an awful solution to, admittedly an awful problem. I have known of people giving their child's Grandparents address, purporting to be where the child lives, to be considered for a good school. Speaking of lying; when I was visiting schools, I have 4 children now aged 15 to 24,, I was asked once by a " good" school if that school was to be my first choice and I lied and wasn't very pleased at that but if I'd said "No, you are my second" , my child would not have been considered for a place.I read a book by the now resigned Head of Ofsted, Chris Woodhead written I think soon after he had left the Post He seemed to have a lot of sympathy, if I remember correctly, (it was 3 years ago),with the pressures teachers are under and , whilst not damning his whole office , could see the pitfalls of the the system. He is now Professor of Education at Birmingham University and seems a little bruised by what he went through. He's here at http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...ticle_continue. I can't honestly work out if he is trying to recover from his maligned position in his previous job; or just being honest. It sounds a bit irresponsible to wish the system to collapse, but sometimes new is better than trying to restore something rotting from within. I feel for politicians who are lambasted in the press for electing to send their child to a private school. "I " say, what kind of a parent would they be if they knowingly sent their child to the school on the corner if it had less to offer than they themselves received as a scholar? Of course a free decent education for all is to be applauded but the reality is ....some schools are not places anyone in their right mind would either attend or work at. Home schooling is a choice for some.

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    11:06 AM

Thanks for the link to the article – it’s interesting to see that Woodhead is now chairman of a chain of private schools! Having been to both public and state schools I’ve seen the difference, and you really can’t blame parents for wanting the best for their children. My mother was a teacher, and has been a school governor for many years now: she’s seen the Labour government swamping primary schools with red tape and bureaucracy, even to the point that the local head master actually had a nervous breakdown!

What worries me almost as much as the school system is the pensions fiasco perpetrated by Brown. I was reading about it on the Ministry of Truth site the other day (http://mo-truth.blogspot.com/2007/04...ly-stuff.html), and found a good article about it in the Times by William Rees-Mogg (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...e1599770.ece):

“The desperation with which he has fought to prevent the publication of these papers is a sure sign that Mr Brown knows how damning they are… At every stage there has been prevarication and concealment… The damage that Mr Brown has done to the pension system was done by stealth — there appeared an attempt to conceal at almost every stage.
    That is not criminal, but equally it is not transparent. It would be cynical to suggest that this is just the normal practice of politics. As a consequence some £100 billion has been drawn out of the pension system. However one thinks that huge sum might have been distributed, it means that many millions of people have lost money, and that tens if not hundreds of thousands are likely to have imposed on them an old age of poverty.”

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Hey Burlesque,

So, this is PRIVATE pensions that have been, in a sense, devalued? The message has been going out for a decade or so now that we must not rely on a state pension alone to provide a living for us when we retire. The notion has even been floated that the State Pension cannot be thought to exist for ever. I got the sense though that the idea to wean people off the idea of a State Pension lost heat when we had one or two scandals such as The Mirror Pension part vanishing and the shock that rightly caused. I am not very comfortable with the aspect of news reporting that condenses the issues down into a damning headline when exposing people. " If " we are all members of the same human race, supposedly roughly aiming for the same things , I'd prefer less of a judgement day style of finger pointing but of " honest " evaluation of why bad decisions were allowed to be made and a concerted effort to avoid pitfalls in the future. I think truth is a shy little violet that gets trampled on when a person is attacked. If my character is insulted in an aggressive way and in front of others, I defend it and the important query would , I think , get lost in the quagmire of the fight. Having said that, I think I side with many in that I would put Politicians near the top of the list of being in a profession I would be least likely to trust and as being, for the most part, very skilled at lying and trying to patronize members of the public.

One off-putting thing I have read is that the very people who have a little extra from a works pension, not enough to be way above needing support, often are just a few pounds above the cut-off point for getting help so find their extra income having to pay for what others get free. Discouraging. But when I read the projections of how much a month people should be putting aside towards their old age I am staggered. Many people can barely get by on what they need to spend for THIS year never mind go without even more so they can live it up after retirement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4