Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infants have a richer Xual* life than adults

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    09:07 PM

Infants have a richer Xual* life than adults

Infants have a richer Xual* life than adults.

*Freud defines sexual instinct as an energy or desire with which the human being pursues pleasure. The pleasure sought is the pleasurable activity of all aspects of the human body, including all internal organs. The organ may be the stomach, the genitals, the thumb, the eyes, the mouth, the toes, and etc. Infants are in love with all aspects of themselves.

It is clear from Freud’s definition of sexual instinct that he is aiming at something very general and something very fundamental. I suspect that much of the antagonism toward Freud throughout his historical presence is due to this word ‘sex’ that appears often in his work. This abhorrence of everything explicit regarding sex tends to be received with a good deal of antagonism by Christianity and perhaps other religions. But I think it is worthwhile to control this reaction in order to comprehend the message of this great thinker. To focus upon the thought of Freud rather than the inhibiting taboos of culture I will replace the word ‘sex’ with the letter ‘X’.

Xual instinct is the energy or desire that drives the human pursuit of pleasure. This is meant to include all organs of the human body whereby the individual finds pleasure or encounters pain. The pattern of normal adult Xuality, love between man and woman, is merely a specific organization of a general energy biologically generated in all humans.

Human Xual organization and his or her social organization are deeply connected; it is assumed that both organizations have evolved simultaneously. Parenthood, the prolonged maintenance of children, represents the important aspect of the ape to human transition that binds these two organizations. Family organization is the nucleus of all social organization is an accepted axiom Freud has built into his matrix of theories.

Adult Xuality, “in so far as it is restricted by rules designed to maintain the institution of the family and in so far as the desire for Xual satisfaction is diverted and exploited for the purpose of maintaining a socially useful institution, is a clear instance of the subordination of the pleasure-principle to the reality-principle which is repression; as such it is rejected by the unconscious essence of the human being and therefore leads to neurosis.”

Prolonged dependency of the human infant has far-reaching consequence. This prolonged infancy creates two major consequences: a subjective omnipotent indulgence in pleasure free from the confines of reality and on the other hand, and an objective powerless dependence on others. These conflicting forces constitute a trauma from which the child become adult never recovers psychologically. This conflict between actual impotence and desires for omnipotence is a basic theme throughout history.

Infants have a Xual life and adults have a Xual life but both are much different. For the infant this energy is directed at all aspects of the body while the adult has narrowed this energy thrust almost totally upon the genital activity. The infantile Xuality pattern evolves into the adult Xuality pattern. Therein we can see why Freud took this path for defining the infant pleasure-principle as he did because it provides an explanation for the adult pleasure-principle and shows both wherein there is constant conflict with the reality-principle. The adult Xual pattern, which is a perversion of infancy, is a well organized tyranny. Children explore indiscriminately all erotic potentialities of the human body; by adult standards this is a perversion and by the same token judged by infantile standards adult Xual behavior is a perversion.

Questions for discussion

Do you think, as I do, that Freud’s use of the s-word has made his thoughts repulsive to many fastidious people?

Do you have a problem in comprehending Freud’s concentration on the infantile pleasure-principal?

Do you think it is a good idea to do the ‘X for sex’ change?

Local Date
    01-21-2020
    Local Time
    01:07 AM

Re: Infants have a richer Xual* life than adults

Eh, I skim-read your post, (it's quite drawn out) but I get the general gist of what you're trying to say.

Let's see....

Why would the word 'sex' be repulsive? The word itself can't produce feelings in people that they don't already feel. To believe that sex, in and of itself, is repulsive, in my opinion, is a perversion in the same way that others believe promiscuity is a perversion. To deny our very instincts is unnatural. Yes, a certain amount of control over them is needed in order to be more "evolved" than the animals, but to deny them is merely control of the masses disguised as religion/politics/etc.

Second question: No, I have no problem comprehending any of Freud's concepts. And yes, they are concepts. Yet, it doesn't strike me as odd or unusual that infants would/do experience sexual pleasure. It is a fundamental human experience, and does not begin at the onset of puberty.

And, lastly, no, I don't think it's a good idea to exchange X for sex. What would be the purpose? Sex is not a dirty word. I believe it has become a dirty word to some because of their sexual immaturity or sexual confusion. Exchanging X for sex is further inciting that immaturity and confusion by making the very word itself unspeakable.

Anyway, what do you think??

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by laneybug View Post
    Eh, I skim-read your post, (it's quite drawn out) but I get the general gist of what you're trying to say.

Let's see....

Why would the word 'sex' be repulsive? The word itself can't produce feelings in people that they don't already feel. To believe that sex, in and of itself, is repulsive, in my opinion, is a perversion in the same way that others believe promiscuity is a perversion. To deny our very instincts is unnatural. Yes, a certain amount of control over them is needed in order to be more "evolved" than the animals, but to deny them is merely control of the masses disguised as religion/politics/etc.

Second question: No, I have no problem comprehending any of Freud's concepts. And yes, they are concepts. Yet, it doesn't strike me as odd or unusual that infants would/do experience sexual pleasure. It is a fundamental human experience, and does not begin at the onset of puberty.

And, lastly, no, I don't think it's a good idea to exchange X for sex. What would be the purpose? Sex is not a dirty word. I believe it has become a dirty word to some because of their sexual immaturity or sexual confusion. Exchanging X for sex is further inciting that immaturity and confusion by making the very word itself unspeakable.

Anyway, what do you think??
    I think that an understanding of psychology is a useful step toward understanding our self and our world. I think we badly need a population more intellectually sophisticated than it is now in order to help restructure our society.

I claim that the educational institutions of all Western democratic nations are very conservative. They are designed to foster the status quo. As such they are focused upon graduating individuals with the means to maximize production and consumption.

Our technology has provided us with the capacity to easily slip into a condition that will end human life.

We must provide a means for our citizens to quickly recognize this fact and to develop a new path for human enlightenment following the end of school days. Only with a significant advance in our general intellectual sophistication can we hope to develop a basis for restructuring society and thereby save humanity from a quick extinction.

I see no other vehicle than the Internet discussion forums presently available to provide that catalyst for change.

If you find merit in this claim I would like to discuss it further.

Local Date
    01-21-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    I think that an understanding of psychology is a useful step toward understanding our self and our world. I think we badly need a population more intellectually sophisticated than it is now in order to help restructure our society.

I claim that the educational institutions of all Western democratic nations are very conservative. They are designed to foster the status quo. As such they are focused upon graduating individuals with the means to maximize production and consumption.

Our technology has provided us with the capacity to easily slip into a condition that will end human life.

We must provide a means for our citizens to quickly recognize this fact and to develop a new path for human enlightenment following the end of school days. Only with a significant advance in our general intellectual sophistication can we hope to develop a basis for restructuring society and thereby save humanity from a quick extinction.

I see no other vehicle than the Internet discussion forums presently available to provide that catalyst for change.

If you find merit in this claim I would like to discuss it further.
    You're not stating anything that I don't already agree with, so there isn't much for me to say at this point. Yes, there is definite merit, and I'd love to discuss further with you.

As for the Internet being the only vehicle... eh, that's a stretch in my opinion. I do agree, though, that it's a good vehicle for the beginning of this catalyst you're talking of simply because of its vast reach. However, the major problem with the Internet is the lack of physical, tactile human contact, which is fundamental in psychology.

Yes, psychology is useful in understanding ourselves and the world. Be careful, though. Making a religion of it, as some do, can be dangerous. Psychology is not an exact science. It is not an exact anything. There is room for growth, interpretation, personal experience. The day everyone agrees about the principles of psychology is the day we cease to have independent personalities.

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by laneybug View Post
    You're not stating anything that I don't already agree with, so there isn't much for me to say at this point. Yes, there is definite merit, and I'd love to discuss further with you.

As for the Internet being the only vehicle... eh, that's a stretch in my opinion. I do agree, though, that it's a good vehicle for the beginning of this catalyst you're talking of simply because of its vast reach. However, the major problem with the Internet is the lack of physical, tactile human contact, which is fundamental in psychology.

Yes, psychology is useful in understanding ourselves and the world. Be careful, though. Making a religion of it, as some do, can be dangerous. Psychology is not an exact science. It is not an exact anything. There is room for growth, interpretation, personal experience. The day everyone agrees about the principles of psychology is the day we cease to have independent personalities.

What other vehicle is available for an effort to bring people together to discuss this moral problem, which requires a restructuring of our society?

Local Date
    01-21-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    What other vehicle is available for an effort to bring people together to discuss this moral problem, which requires a restructuring of our society?
    I don't truly know the answer to that. I'm afraid, even if we did know, society as a whole is far too dysfunctional and unorganized to bring about any real, substantial change. There is too much selfishness in man, at least, the modern, technological man. The supposed more "evolved" man. Perhaps there is hope among smaller communities where life is about how many gigabytes and how fast you can get from point A to B. I have a feeling those communities are a dying breed, though. My point is, what use is the vehicle if the majority of the people couldn't operate it, so to speak, because of their pursuance of their own personal agenda? Ah, and there's the Ego. We have, somewhere along the line, come to believe that the personal goals of one is more important than the greater goals of all.

It must seem that my outlook on humanity's future is pretty dim. It is and it isn't. There are, and have been, great people trying to bring about great change, and I applaud that. But I believe we are, as a whole, outrunning any progress made. Perhaps we are meant for extinction. After all, since we have done more mental and physical damage to others and the world than any other animal, why would we be above it?

+ Reply to Thread