+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: What makes someone drink?

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    07:18 AM

Re: What makes someone drink?

I'm always inappropriate, drink doesn't come into the picture.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    06:18 AM

chuckle. Yeah, but drink takes away the choice (if it affects someone that way and for many it does).
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Arrow Re: What makes someone drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Princess View Post
    What pushes you to have a drink?
    A well-prepared meal of beef or fowl.
    Attached Images

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Wanting and needing are two different things.
    "Needing" anything, apart from the obvious.....food, water,etc.etc. is dangerous.
    I neither "want" nor "need" a drink. I am "inspired" to partake.

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

It's a thread that ought to be continued, I reckon. The question relates to addiction and I don't think society copes well with addicts.

I think there are two forms of addiction. One is a brain response to feedback and stimulation, where any behavior at all can become addictive. The difference with alcohol is that the external chemical itself creates that particular feedback, it's different to the behavioral cycle. Or I could be wrong, I don't think I've ever been chemically addicted to any external trigger.

Crack cocaine famously does the same thing.

On the other hand - and again I could easily be wrong - lots of recreational drugs traditionally accused of being addictive, like opium or nicotine, act far more as though they're the focus of behavioral feedback just like gambling. I would describe it as a hijacking of built-in mammalian drives. Alcohol and crack cocaine are not in the same category. The latter is a chemical entrapment, the former (gambling and drugs) is psychological feedback misusing the necessary hormonal feedback routes of brain function.

Whatever it is that makes someone drink is far harder to escape from. It just happens to be the historical trap which Western civilization has had since pre-history and now can't eliminate. Prohibition failed when it was tried, and Britain in particular is far too reliant on the tax revenue to abandon it as a golden goose. And yet it won't just add the recreational drugs to its revenue stream, which leaves all those profits to anyone prepared to break the law. I have a hard time understanding why.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    12:18 AM

I have been known to drink too much. However, it is mainly because I simply forgot to stop.
    I have finally learned when I have had enough, and have actually learned when to listen to that part of me that keeps track of when that point has been reached.

I do have some relatives who never learned that, and seemed to have a physical addiction to Alcohol. My cousin and I have been discussing the alcohol in our family. My father could simply turn away when there was a need to remain sober. My uncle, on the other hand, could not. he needed the the alcohol, and hid his addiction from nearly everyone.

My cousin, like his father, needed the alcohol. He is now in treatment, and has medicine that reduces the "need" for the stuff. He recognizes that he has to stay away from alcohol.

My brother may, or may not have had that addiction. Now that he has passed, we shall never know for sure. He never thought that he needed to stop drinking. He simply avoided the issue, until it destroyed his liver.

I enjoy a good Beer, or a good Whiskey now and again, but can take it or leave it. I never drink when "I need a drink" or when I have had a rough go, and need to "settle my nerves." I never drink when I am angry.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Premium Member
    Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    01:18 AM

I'm sure there are lots of reasons people become addicted. I think one is that those people are not challenged enough intellectually. When one engages themselves intellectually, any altered state of mine feels like a bad acid trip. If anyone knows what I mean by that. I guess that is more in line with the hijacking mentioned.

I've had to become familiar with all this in the recent past due to two people very near and dear to me succumbing to drugs and alcohol abuse. It can be very expensive and emotionally draining.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Right now, a wheezy chest infection is leading me to drink.

A Lemon & Ginger infusion, with a generous application of Brandy works wonders.

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Exclamation Re: What makes someone drink?

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Right now, a wheezy chest infection is leading me to drink.

A Lemon & Ginger infusion, with a generous application of Brandy works wonders.
    I'm taking notes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13