+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borderline retardation and low cognitive skills

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    09:25 PM

Borderline retardation and low cognitive skills

I was diagnose as low cognitive skills, borderline retardation. Most people don't want to be friends with me cause of this. I try not to let it bother me. My husband loves me unconditionally and he is perfectly normal person. I can make message boards so I do feel little bit better about myself that way. Sometimes I just get all depressed and sad at times.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    06:25 PM

Re: Borderline retardation and low cognitive skills

Hi Debra,

I think it took a lot of backbone for you to share that with us.
    I'm sorry to know some people treat you unkindly. I don't know why people have to be so petty. But not everyone is! FG has a lot of nice people. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. I admire how you've just jumped in and started posting to us!

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time
    01:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I was diagnose as low cognitive skills, borderline retardation. Most people don't want to be friends with me cause of this. I try not to let it bother me. My husband loves me unconditionally and he is perfectly normal person. I can make message boards so I do feel little bit better about myself that way. Sometimes I just get all depressed and sad at times.
    hey debra ,jimbo the moron here i can hardly read and write and i'm a total thicko compared to me your positively a genius if i can post here and make friends why cant you

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    05:25 PM

When I was about 13 or 14, my mother confessed to me that she and my father had been concerned that I was "slow". My mother was a good person, but that was perhaps not the kindest thing to tell a kid. It did bear out in the way other children treated me, however; I was socially awkward and in appearance bore a resemblance to that fat crew-cut kid with glasses in the Farside comic strips.

I only included the above to illustrate one essential and irrefutable fact: Some people are cruel, and all people are stupid at least part of the time.

Your writing ability belies the diagnosis, but in any case you have friends here, I think.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by I, Rob View Post
    When I was about 13 or 14, my mother confessed to me that she and my father had been concerned that I was "slow". My mother was a good person, but that was perhaps not the kindest thing to tell a kid. It did bear out in the way other children treated me, however; I was socially awkward and in appearance bore a resemblance to that fat crew-cut kid with glasses in the Farside comic strips.

I only included the above to illustrate one essential and irrefutable fact: Some people are cruel, and all people are stupid at least part of the time.

Your writing ability belies the diagnosis, but in any case you have friends here, I think.
    Just what I was thinking.

Welcome and have fun. We're a motley crew but get on well.

You can say just about anything here and if it doesn't offend Jimbo, you'll be just fine!
    When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.
    Mae West

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Debra, I am sorry that people can be so mean - why would anybody be like that. I know you will make plenty of friends here, everyone is so open and friendly. We have all shared our sad and happy times together here - its like one big family here. So, welcome to the family Debra.

Pheasy

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Hi there Debra
    I have worked with people with disabilities for about the past 25 years. The biggest thing I have learned is that you are capable of doing anything.

One thing we teach is Self Advocacy..standing up for yourself and not letting yourself be put down because you have a disability.

Look in your local phone book to see if you have an Advocacy Center. I would bet they can help you regain your self esteem.

By the way..your hubby sounds like a great guy.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Thanks all .... I am glad I got a new family of online friends... I feel like I belong here.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Debra...click on this link. It is for People First in Georgia..Self Advocacy. There is the number of a contact person there,

http://www.ihdd.uga.edu/main_menu.ph...2&CID=31&DID=1

Pinky

Register to remove this ad.
    Debra, nice to meet you, take a leaf out of my book - stuff what anyone else thinks! The people worth knowing won't dislike you.

Hope you're enjoying FG!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast