Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you dry yours?

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:57 PM

Re: How do you dry yours?

Crazy weird. I was reading this article today.

Hanging the wash has meaning
    Sasha Aslanian, Special to the Star Tribune

When the neighbors saw all the laundry flapping on the clothesline in my back yard, they politely asked if our dryer was broken. They seemed puzzled when I said I liked drying clothes on the line. Back in their native Vietnam, that's how everyone dried their clothes. America is a land of dryers churning in basements.

I've reclaimed line-drying. I like the sun on my face as I try to clip wet fabric in the wind.

The last day I ever spent with my grandmother we hung her wash. In her tidy yard in Seattle, under blue skies and a breeze from Puget Sound, I pinned her nightgowns and pink bedsheets between the tall metal posts. Then we settled in lawn chairs and put our feet up. I playfully tugged her sun hat over her face and sh! e giggled.

My grandmother was a champion of the domestic arts, with a rigorous schedule. Laundry on Mondays. As I took down the stiff clothes and bent them into squares, she watched me fumble with a fitted sheet.

"Sash," she called and slowly made her way to the line with her cane. She expertly nestled one corner inside another, then brought the last two corners inside. "Here," she said with satisfaction.

She died 10 years ago, and I've thought of her each week, as I tuck the four corners of my fitted sheets inside one another. My grandmother liked to line-dry the clothes. She liked the fresh smell of the sheets. Drying laundry in the sun was one of the few chores that hadn't changed since her girlhood on a tiny island in Norway. I know the view from that farm. She looked out at the sea. When I fold laundry or make her recipes, my hands repeat what hers had done.

But for me, line-drying clothes is more than a connection to my past. It ca! n be exotic.

When I was 20, Madame Furgé, my stern Pa! risian h ost mother, gave me an orientation to my wing of the apartment on Avenue Victor Hugo. She tsk-tsked about my long Americaine shower and gestured at how sloppy I had been, getting water on the floor. She reached to untie a rope in the shower and lowered a rack to show me where I would dry my laundry. One load per week.

Of course, in a Paris winter, in a steamy bathroom, laundry might take days to dry. The French were frugal with lights, appliances and leftovers, even wealthy people like the Furgés. World War II wasn't that long ago.

I came to associate the crunchy, linty feel of my line-dried black Paris street clothes with the Paris experience. Towels were stiff. What to Americans feels impoverished for me revives the thrill of Paris as a 20-year-old.

Today, hanging the wash doesn't fit my lifestyle at all. I work full-time and have two young daughters. My husband rolls his eyes at my insistence on doing things the slow way. What he doesn't ! know is that when I'm out back hanging clothes, I'm thinking about an old woman's girlhood in Norway and what Parisians do behind closed doors at the fanciest addresses.

Sasha Aslanian is a producer for American RadioWorks, the documentary unit of American Public Media.
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:57 PM

Good story, Nomad.
    I can relate to a lot of that.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    10:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Crazy weird. I was reading this article today.

Hanging the wash has meaning
    Sasha Aslanian, Special to the Star Tribune

When the neighbors saw all the laundry flapping on the clothesline in my back yard, they politely asked if our dryer was broken. They seemed puzzled when I said I liked drying clothes on the line. Back in their native Vietnam, that's how everyone dried their clothes. America is a land of dryers churning in basements.

I've reclaimed line-drying. I like the sun on my face as I try to clip wet fabric in the wind.

The last day I ever spent with my grandmother we hung her wash. In her tidy yard in Seattle, under blue skies and a breeze from Puget Sound, I pinned her nightgowns and pink bedsheets between the tall metal posts. Then we settled in lawn chairs and put our feet up. I playfully tugged her sun hat over her face and sh! e giggled.

My grandmother was a champion of the domestic arts, with a rigorous schedule. Laundry on Mondays. As I took down the stiff clothes and bent them into squares, she watched me fumble with a fitted sheet.

"Sash," she called and slowly made her way to the line with her cane. She expertly nestled one corner inside another, then brought the last two corners inside. "Here," she said with satisfaction.

She died 10 years ago, and I've thought of her each week, as I tuck the four corners of my fitted sheets inside one another. My grandmother liked to line-dry the clothes. She liked the fresh smell of the sheets. Drying laundry in the sun was one of the few chores that hadn't changed since her girlhood on a tiny island in Norway. I know the view from that farm. She looked out at the sea. When I fold laundry or make her recipes, my hands repeat what hers had done.

But for me, line-drying clothes is more than a connection to my past. It ca! n be exotic.

When I was 20, Madame Furgé, my stern Pa! risian h ost mother, gave me an orientation to my wing of the apartment on Avenue Victor Hugo. She tsk-tsked about my long Americaine shower and gestured at how sloppy I had been, getting water on the floor. She reached to untie a rope in the shower and lowered a rack to show me where I would dry my laundry. One load per week.

Of course, in a Paris winter, in a steamy bathroom, laundry might take days to dry. The French were frugal with lights, appliances and leftovers, even wealthy people like the Furgés. World War II wasn't that long ago.

I came to associate the crunchy, linty feel of my line-dried black Paris street clothes with the Paris experience. Towels were stiff. What to Americans feels impoverished for me revives the thrill of Paris as a 20-year-old.

Today, hanging the wash doesn't fit my lifestyle at all. I work full-time and have two young daughters. My husband rolls his eyes at my insistence on doing things the slow way. What he doesn't ! know is that when I'm out back hanging clothes, I'm thinking about an old woman's girlhood in Norway and what Parisians do behind closed doors at the fanciest addresses.

Sasha Aslanian is a producer for American RadioWorks, the documentary unit of American Public Media.

That was so lovely to read, thanks

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    09:57 PM

I try to dry my washing on the line in the garden weather permitting. If not it's all over the radiators indoors which I hate. I have so far gone without a tumble dryer!

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:57 PM

How do you dry yours?

Under the scrotum then up the shaft I spose...I dont know.

Freak !
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:57 PM

How do you dry yours?

Freak !
    Nomad! What the hell's in the water out in Minnesota!!?

Um..I think I'm actually a little turned on....stop doing that to me....

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:57 PM

oh my fellow Americans

I prefer to use a dryer. Because its quicker. The clothes are softer. and there is nothing like clothes straight out of the dryer on a cold winter day.

How ever, it isn't the norm in the UK to use a dryer, as one can figure out just from reading this thread. And I get a lot of slack about it. ALOT.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    oh my fellow Americans

I prefer to use a dryer. Because its quicker. The clothes are softer. and there is nothing like clothes straight out of the dryer on a cold winter day.

How ever, it isn't the norm in the UK to use a dryer, as one can figure out just from reading this thread. And I get a lot of slack about it. ALOT.
    Do you not find that everything shrinks when dried constantly in the drier? They do for me.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    oh my fellow Americans

From my experience, the clothes are softer when allowed to blow on the line.

The difference could be that it's not so hot and arid here as in some parts of the US.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:57 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    How do you dry yours?

Freak !
    *snort*

*choke*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast