Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Free Britain

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    04:15 PM

Re: Smoke Free Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Simple economics - no publican is going to turn away a significant proportion of his clientèle in the hope of getting an improved attendance from the rest.

Personally, I find the government's stance hypocritical - either smoking is a such a serious health risk to both smokers and to those around them that it justifies a ban or not. The current actions stink of a compromise determined by the existing tax revenue from the sale of tobacco.
    I agree to the bolded statement. Fortunately, we in the US still, mostly, have the right (at least for the time being) to life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness -- even if that pursuit is bad for our health.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    09:15 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    I agree to the bolded statement. Fortunately, we in the US still, mostly, have the right (at least for the time being) to life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness -- even if that pursuit is bad for our health.
    And when it is bad for the health of those around you?

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    10:15 PM

As do we. I'm not objecting to the persuit of happiness if that indeed is what smoking is to some people. My problem is the impact it has in public places, on those whose pursuit of happiness involves clean air, eyes that dont sting, clothes that dont reak of old dog ends and a decent ale untainted by stale smoke.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    And when it is bad for the health of those around you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    As do we. I'm not objecting to the persuit of happiness if that indeed is what smoking is to some people. My problem is the impact it has in public places, on those whose pursuit of happiness involves clean air, eyes that dont sting, clothes that dont reak of old dog ends and a decent ale untainted by stale smoke.
    No one has to patronise a pub that allows smoking.

Sorry ... No one had to patronise a pub that allowed smoking before activists that didn't want their particular pub to reek of tobacco forced all of them to ban smoking.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    10:15 PM

Sorry ... No one had to patronise a pub that allowed smoking before activists that didn't want their particular pub to reek of tobacco forced all of them to ban smoking.
    The difference now, is that both smoking and non smoking groups of friends - and lets face it , thats most groups - can now enjoy the same establishments and each others company. The only hassle is the occasional visit to a smoking area. Thats not a HUGE amount meddling in someones enjoyment of a quite pint down the local

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    09:15 PM

I go back to the point that was made about the driver's right to drive on the sidewalk - banning it restricts his rights but preserves the greater right of those who wish to pursue their life in health.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    05:15 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Ellen View Post
    I don't care if people smoke away from me as I don't want to breathe in their smoke.

I'm just so sick of people throwing their cigarettes on the ground. During the summer months I clean up about 50 or more cigs on my lawn.
    Granted, I do smoke KE, but would never throw it on your lawn. I have a little cachet thingy to throw them in for the beach. Very handy.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Ellen View Post
    I don't care if people smoke away from me as I don't want to breathe in their smoke.

I'm just so sick of people throwing their cigarettes on the ground. During the summer months I clean up about 50 or more cigs on my lawn.
    I am a smoker, but I respect the rights of anyone that I am around, if they don't want me to smoke.........I don't.
    It's common courtesy, respect and just the knowing why they do not want to be around smoke.

- I never throw my butts anywhere.....there are either in my car ashtray or if I go outdoors somewhere, I have a tiny tiny ashtray in my purse to butt them out in.......even driving my own car and in my own home..........I will not smoke if anyone asks me not to.

Everyone that does smoke must respect the wishes of others.

I do not smoke at homes where I visit if they are non-smokers...I take it outside and smoke it, and put it in an ashtray.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:45 AM

In my country, a proprietor can deny service to anyone not willing to play by the established rules (with the exception of ethnic considerations). Isn't it that way in your country?
    Not in the UK. Non-smoking pubs were never a success in themselves. Legislation forced all pubs to be non-smoking. This is a major contributory factor to the closure of these establishments.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    01:15 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    it's a good idea to have a smoke-free country like Britain. and eventually other countries will follow the same regulations. let us support World No Tobacco Day.
    On May 31, 2009, we are celebrating the annual WORLD NO TOBACCO DAY. This campaign will focus on both primary and secondary smoking, the right to clean air and prevention of addiction to nicotine. Let's join the cause as countries from all parts of the globe join hand in hand in promoting a future free of tobacco. You can get more information by going to this link < link removed >
    Last edited by Betty Boop; 05-27-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: suspect it's advertising

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast