+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: the Jena 6 - this is horrible

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    12:40 PM

the Jena 6 - this is horrible

The Case of the Jena Six: Black High School Students Charged with Attempted Murder for Schoolyard Fight After Nooses Are Hung from Tree

Six black students at Jena High School in Central Louisiana were arrested last December after a school fight in which a white student was beaten and suffered a concussion and multiple bruises. The six black students were charged with attempted murder and conspiracy. They face up to 100 years in prison without parole. The fight took place amid mounting racial tension after a black student sat under a tree in the schoolyard where only white students sat. The next day three nooses were hanging from the tree.

Jena is a small town nestled deep in the heart of Central Louisiana. Until recently, you may well have never heard of it. But this rural town of less than 4,000 people has become a focal point in the debate around issues of race and justice in this country

Last December, six black students at Jena High School were arrested after a school fight in which a white student was beaten and suffered a concussion and multiple bruises. The six black students were charged with attempted second-degree murder and conspiracy. They face up to 100 years in prison without parole. The Jena Six, as they have come to be known, range in age from 15 to 17 years old

Just over a week ago, an all-white jury took less than two days to convict 17 year-old Mychal Bell, the first of the Jena Six to go on trial. He was convicted of aggravated battery and conspiracy charges and now faces up to 22 years in prison.

Black residents say that race has always been an issue in Jena, which is 85 percent white, and that the charges against the Jena Six are no exception. The origins of the story can be traced back to early September when a black high school student requested permission to sit under a tree in the schoolyard where usually only white students sat. The next day three nooses were found hanging from the tree

http://www.petitiononline.com/aZ51CqmR/petition.html

To listen to NPR coverage go here:http://pursuingholiness.com/2007/07/...-6-npr-update/

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

Re: the Jena 6 - this is horrible

you can also go to youtube to watch a clip about it:

http://www.youtube.com/v/YuoiZnr4jLY

(i couldn't figure out how to put a video on here)

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    01:40 PM

Double edged sword this one is!!!!!!

Maybe you might want to update your accusations as it has ALL changed?

Updated June 26, 2007, 8:54 a.m. ET
    Amid racial tensions, charges reduced against black student accused of beating white
    JENA, La. (AP) — Prosecutors reduced charges against a black high school student a day before he was to go on trial Tuesday in the beating of a white student amid escalating racial tensions.
    The district attorney on Monday reduced Bell's charges to aggravated second-degree battery, which carries a sentence of up to 15 years, and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery, which carries a maximum sentence of 7 1/2 years.
    "If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

I was not throwing accusations around. I was simply passing along something I had read. Kthnx.

15 years is still an awful long time to be sent away. Under the same oppressive circumstances, I might snap one or two times as well. I hope that they don't get the max.

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

From this link:
    Local activists say that this wave of problems started last September when Black high school students asked for permission to sit under a tree at an area of the high school that had, traditionally, been used only by white students. The next day, three nooses were hanging from the tree.
    The following week, Black students staged a protest under the tree. At a school assembly soon after, Jena district attorney Reed Walters, appearing with local police officers, warned Black students against further unrest. "I can make your lives disappear with a stroke of my pen," he threatened.
    According to many in Jena, tensions simmered in the town over the fall, occasionally exploding into fights and other incidents. No white students were charged or punished for any of these incidents, including the students found to have been responsible for hanging the nooses. Bryant Purvis, one of the Black students now facing charges, explained to me that, after the incident, "there were a lot of people aggravated about it, a lot of fights at the school after that, a lot of arguments, a lot of people getting treated differently."
    In the first weekend of December, a Black student was assaulted by a group of white students, and a white graduate of Jena High School threatened several Black students with a shotgun. The following Monday, white students taunted the Black student who was assaulted over the weekend, and one of the white students was beaten up.
    We've made tremendous progress against bigotry, but there are still pockets such as this one, which shows we still have a lot of work to do. Thank God it doesn't permeate our society like it used to.

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

I think I understand the impact they were trying to make. And that is an impact.
    Acts like this come from frustration.
    While I dont condone this I think I'm aware of its meaning.
    Certainly theres a bigger picture at hand than only the act itself.
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    07:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Irmin View Post
    So now ya know what I'm getting at, ladies?

Sending your children away to public school over there is like having them sent to prison - they're locked up all day in a building full of ni@@ers!
    imo you are a racist i have reported post

what is wrong with you

Head Gardener
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    11:40 AM

Quote Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
    imo you are a racist i have reported post

what is wrong with you
    Infraction was given to Irmin.

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Forumgarden View Post
    Infraction was given to Irmin.
    And he was the one supporting abortion for the mentally insufficient.

Scrat

Register to remove this ad.
    Under the same oppressive circumstances,
    What oppressive circumstances? Does this have anything to do with the fact that white students sit under a particular tree and the black students probably sit under another tree or another place of their choosing?

How do we know exactly what went on there? Maybe the Black kids have another tree to sit under and traditionally the 2 races segregate themselves. Maybe the bkack students decided they wanted to pick a fight and just to inflame the situation, to create a stir for their own reasons tried to provoke this whole mess by sitting under the tree.

Is anyone going to look at the fact that the black student "requesting" permission to sit under the white students tree one of the first steps in a concerted effort to inflame the community with racial tension? Is anyone here willing to consider this?

I find the request very interesting, it seems the only reason the student asked was to involve the school in the dispute.

I think that things like this are planned and orchestrated by the black community for gain, I wonder when the lawsuits will come at the school there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast