Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    10:38 PM

Re: Dog nightmares/sleepwalking?

Quote Originally Posted by valerie View Post
    Glucosamine is good for joint support, but it can be a little hard on
    older tummies so I would give it with a small amount of food. (And
    yes, you can give it in addition to the others)

Didn't realize that about the needing to "go" at night, but you
    definitely don't want to stop that, it is very good for her to be
    able to flush stuff through her system.

You sound like an experienced dog mom, sure glad that girl found
    you!!

What's her name?

Thanks for the advice about glucosamine, I'll hide it in a yummy piece of roast beef (her favorite people food). Does it come in different strengths, or just one strength?

Her name is Li'l Bit. I have no idea where I got that name, she just looked like a Li'l Bit to me. Her nickname is Pumpkin (all my critters have nicknames), and I think she likes that name better.

I can't remember ever not having a dog, so I guess I am experienced with them although I've never encountered anything even remotely like this before. Sometimes it's good to just step back and let someone not involved evaluate the situation, since others may think of things I may not see. I really do appreciate all the helpful advice I'm getting!

While I appreciate your kind words, between Li'l Bit and me, I think I'm the lucky one. She has enriched my life in so many ways, just by being my sweet loyal little buddy.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
    I think I would check with my vet on that just to be on the safe side before you get any. By the way welcome to FG, I hope you enjoy it.
    Good advice, I just left a message for the vet.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. This seems like a great forum with very friendly participants, maybe I should look around!

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    07:38 PM

Boy, do I ever know what you mean on the stepping back bit! It's
    happened to me before!! That's partly why I hope Red Glitter sees
    this. You never know. Even if she can only add moral support!

I think it's good you called your vet about the glucosamine. I
    gave my old girl human grade from Costco 'cause it was cheap,
    but her weight was about 65 pounds even in her old age. Your
    vet might be able to help you with dosage for your smaller girl,
    maybe break tablets in half or something if you need to! Or,
    might even suggest Cosequin, made specifically for dogs.

Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Welcome, Lady!

My dog does that howling thing when he is in a deep sleep. I have no idea why. It starts off low then gets higher and higher until it reaches it's peak. He will start all over again if I don't wake him up or he doesn't wake himself up.

The only other time I have ever heard him make that noise was once when the tornado sirens went off and he was outside. But that was just once. He never does it when he is awake. Scared the bejeesus out of me the first time I heard it, and in the middle of the night it can be quite unnerving. But when he wakes up he wags his tail and I tell him to go back to sleep and he's fine.

Has the vet checked her urine? She may have crystals (I know cats get them but I don't know if dogs get them) from too much protein. Or perhaps kidney stones. When my cat would get crystals, she would walk like that and not want to be touched. She would walk and then squat, walk, squat, walk, squat.

Cats are supposed to have a lot of protein, but not too much, but dogs should have more grains than cats. That's one reason dogs love kitty poop!

I hope you get it figured out. Best of luck and thanks for being there for all your babies.
    When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.
    Mae West

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    Welcome, Lady!

My dog does that howling thing when he is in a deep sleep. I have no idea why. It starts off low then gets higher and higher until it reaches it's peak. He will start all over again if I don't wake him up or he doesn't wake himself up.

The only other time I have ever heard him make that noise was once when the tornado sirens went off and he was outside. But that was just once. He never does it when he is awake. Scared the bejeesus out of me the first time I heard it, and in the middle of the night it can be quite unnerving. But when he wakes up he wags his tail and I tell him to go back to sleep and he's fine.

Has the vet checked her urine? She may have crystals (I know cats get them but I don't know if dogs get them) from too much protein. Or perhaps kidney stones. When my cat would get crystals, she would walk like that and not want to be touched. She would walk and then squat, walk, squat, walk, squat.

Cats are supposed to have a lot of protein, but not too much, but dogs should have more grains than cats. That's one reason dogs love kitty poop!

I hope you get it figured out. Best of luck and thanks for being there for all your babies.
    That's a good thing to ask my vet when he calls back. Li'l Bit doesn't squat or act like it's possibly a urinary problem, she just walks really fast all over the place. But, you never know, she might react differently than another animal. I know he checked her urine a while back, maybe it's time to check it again.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Dogs will walk like that when they are in pain.

My other dog had a bone spur on his spine and if he turned the wrong way he would let out a yelp that would freeze your blood and then act as if nothing happened. He was a tough old bird. God love him

Maybe it's her arthur and it bothers her when she sleep too long in one position. If the vet can't come up with anything else, perhaps you could try one of those heated beds. That would help with the arthur at night.
    When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.
    Mae West

AngelEyes82

You pretty much got the advice you need.. I just wanted to welcome you to FG. Hope everything turns out alright.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    07:38 PM

Mulling this over for a few hours... have you had recent bloodwork
    on her? Because thyroid probs came to mind...
    Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    Dogs will walk like that when they are in pain.

My other dog had a bone spur on his spine and if he turned the wrong way he would let out a yelp that would freeze your blood and then act as if nothing happened. He was a tough old bird. God love him

Maybe it's her arthur and it bothers her when she sleep too long in one position. If the vet can't come up with anything else, perhaps you could try one of those heated beds. That would help with the arthur at night.
    Sorry to hear about your dog's bone spur. Was the vet able to correct it?

She does walk very strangely when she sleeps too long in one position. I have thought about a heated bed for her, maybe I should go ahead and get one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes82 View Post
    You pretty much got the advice you need.. I just wanted to welcome you to FG. Hope everything turns out alright.
    Thanks for the welcome and the well wishes; you have a pretty cool forum here, and I very much appreciate the suggestions I have gotten, as well as the friendliness and kindness of your participants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast