Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Islam - Religion Of Peace?

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    11:03 PM

Re: Islam - Religion Of Peace?

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Your idea of parallel evolution, however, assumes the starting point of any new religion as being in the same era as the oldest one began. I was born in 1960 - I grew up with 60s values. My Brother was born in 1971 - he grew up with 70s values. By your logic of parallel evolution, despite having been born in 1971, he would have been brought up with 60s values.
    Totally disagree with your analogy - you grew up in a western Christian society with 60's values, your brother grew up in a western Christian society with 70's values. What I'm talking about is the evolution of the values of the society, not the individual within that society - you cannot compare your upbringing with that of a tribesman in the Hindu Kush for example because the society in the Hindu Kush is fudalistic Muslim rather than western Christian.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    They've had time to catch up. There's no real excuse for the barbaric principles of fundamentalism in today's world- they've got to stop living in the past if they want to survive into the future.

It's easy for you to tell them how they have to live their lives but, in reality, societies cannot change that quickly - the children grow up as their parents grew up with a lot of inertia to changes in that basic society.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    It's easy for you to tell them how they have to live their lives but, in reality, societies cannot change that quickly - the children grow up as their parents grew up with a lot of inertia to changes in that basic society.
    'It takes two to tango', as they say. WE have to stop interfering in their native culture, and THEY have to stop trying to kill, maim, and blow people up!(The fundamentalists, that is...)

TBH, there is fault on both sides,(not helped by our corrupt political animals, or their militant Mullahs) and we all have to learn to settle these differences peaceably, rather than at gunpoint. Wishful thinking maybe, but I think that both sides need to move in this direction, otherwise vendetta and revenge will become the norm, and there'll be no sorting it. Yes, it may take time, but someone's got to 'start the ball rolling'....

It takes 1 to make a war, but 2 to make a friendship....
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    03:03 PM

I do not know much about the history of Islam but I can speak to Christianity. The western Christianity is not the Christianity of the first 300 to 400 years of it's existence. It is not the Christianity of the apostles. I can imagine the same thing for Islam.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I do not know much about the history of Islam but I can speak to Christianity. The western Christianity is not the Christianity of the first 300 to 400 years of it's existence. It is not the Christianity of the apostles. I can imagine the same thing for Islam.
    Islam is like christianity in that you can lok at the history of botyh religions and see how they have been taken on board and usd by the would ukling classes to manipulate and pursue their own agenda. Islam might have been a religion iof peace olnce but that lasted less than a generation but holy war is a great way tio get people to join with you and attack neighbouring tribes. Same with christianity if you want a lesson on how to cynically use a religion just look at the histpory of what was left in the bible.

Don't suppose you will though as if you had already you would no longer be religious. It's all made up.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

No-one can be forced to convert at the point of a gun. They can be made to go through the motions, but no amount of force will change what is really in their hearts - quite the opposite.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    03:03 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    The problem is judging the past based on the present. Many atrocities have been committed by all of the great faiths. But we must keep in mind the time and location of these events. For example the Christian crusaders for a good part thought was they were doing was correct. The inquisitors also thought at the time they were doing the right thing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing as long as we to not fall back into this atrocities in an effort to push one group to accepting one particular faith. Another example is the veneration of the relics of early Christian saints. They believed that God somehow was available to and his power resided in the saints. Thus they wanted these relics and felt that they to could gain some of God's power by holding or touching the relic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23