+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ~confused in florida~

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    06:20 AM

~confused in florida~

some of you may know i had a heart attack a few days before Christmas...it was out of nowhere and a huge shock! i had worked 12 hours the night before and had been in some action , no problem. (i had no heart history, always been very strong and healthy.) it required surgery... now i am doing cardiac rehab, otherwise known as medeival torture. i am the youngest person in these sessions with the rack and iron maiden, etc. soooooooo today i see my doctor, who is excellent, he DID save my life. my MI was deemed job/stress-related and i am out on workers' comp. ~there is no way i can do my 12-hour a day job at this time, even though i feel well. i tire easily. but i was totally shocked today when the Dr. said i cannot go back on my job for at least 3 more months! i am getting many emails from fellow officers/friends saying "stay out, don't come back, we miss you a lot but don't want to see you have a fatal one on the job." (we are subject to all hell breaking loose anytime.) so i am wondering if my career, which i love, is over. whether i should just wait and see what happens in the 3 months, or take an early retirement? i had quite realistic plans for advancement! i am upset and my job is a big part of my identity. *sigh*

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Re: ~confused in florida~

Wow LC, what a tough decision. I think you should absolutely follow doctors orders, and wait and see. Isn't it a bit early to be worried about what your physical condition will be 3 months from now? Your job isn't in jeopardy if you don't go back right away, is it? And when you do go back, can't you do light duty for a while? It sounds to me a bit premature to be talking early retirement, especially if it's not what you want...
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

From reading many of your posts it is apparent that being an officer is very important to you and pervades many areas of your life. Not so many people are lucky enough to find a job/career that they enjoy and in that respect you are very fortunate. However, if the doctors have told you that your heart problems can be attributed to job related stress, I would suggest you consider a new line of work. From what I understand, once you have suffered from a heart attack you are more susceptible to future attacks. No job is worth dying for. On the other hand you do put your life on the line each day on the job anyway. Either way, I guess I'd just wait the three months, see what the doctor says, and then make my final decision. In the meantime, take care of yourself and try to enjoy your time off.
    "A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle." -James Keller

Say what you mean but don't say it mean.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Hey Babyrider, i am a type AA...i have to worry RIGHT THIS MINUTE! maybe why i had the heart attack huh? there is no such thing as light duty, either i can put on my uniform and gun or not. desk jobs are civilian jobs on my Dept. you and Enigma are wise, wait it out i guess.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Hey, it sucks waiting, I know. I'm still waiting to hear about my job. But Enigma has a good point. Enjoy the time off, use it to get strong again, and make sure you take care of yourself. We are all pulling for you!
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

anomaly
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    04:20 AM

Some of the most amazing things have happened to people when they became ill or injured. It seems like a horrible thing when it was really an opportunity to accomplish something else. I would try and think, while you wait, of what you could accomplish because you are at home that you would never have had the time or inclination to do if you were busy at work. There is opportunity in everything. Write a book. Learn to paint. These are things I would do. Think of yours.

Local Date
    12-15-2019
    Local Time
    12:20 AM

Sorry to hear about your heart attack. Lot's of folks don't know that women are actually more prone to heart problems than men. Lady Cop, I think I would be inclined to retire on a disabilty pension (stress related) and if you need additional income, find something way less stressful than law enforcement.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Koan and Lon , sage advice as always...i have meant to write a book for years, was going to wait until i moved to England. and i used to paint, a la Gauguin. but not in a long time. avid reader too. just get restless easily, need some stimulation, i.e. the job. cops tend to be adrenalin junkies. have been all my life, skiing, SCUBA...it is very difficult to feel debilitated all of a sudden after a lifetime of adventure. i think coming to terms with that is the hardest thing. as i said, it's an identity thing, i turn into wonder-woman when i put on my uniform! LOL... suddenly finding oneself in a cardiologist's office is hard to absorb since i was never sick in my life. i suppose i have to get my mind wrapped around a new reality i don't like. i do know i have three months to figure it out and hope i don't go mad! thankyou for your considered replies!....Lon, most women die with their first one! i had first-class care or i would have.also was in A1 condition. i had to call my own 911, make a couple phone calls, and turn on my scanner waiting for ambulance...i knew i was in terrible trouble. my LT. heard about it before i got to hospital and was there waiting for me. rescue guys had called the Sheriff when they recognized me.

Local Date
    12-15-2019
    Local Time
    12:20 AM

Quote Originally Posted by lady cop
    Koan and Lon , sage advice as always...i have meant to write a book for years, was going to wait until i moved to England. and i used to paint, a la Gauguin. but not in a long time. avid reader too. just get restless easily, need some stimulation, i.e. the job. cops tend to be adrenalin junkies. have been all my life, skiing, SCUBA...it is very difficult to feel debilitated all of a sudden after a lifetime of adventure. i think coming to terms with that is the hardest thing. as i said, it's an identity thing, i turn into wonder-woman when i put on my uniform! LOL... suddenly finding oneself in a cardiologist's office is hard to absorb since i was never sick in my life. i suppose i have to get my mind wrapped around a new reality i don't like. i do know i have three months to figure it out and hope i don't go mad! thankyou for your onsidered replies!....LOn, most women die with their first one! i had first-class care or i would have. i had to call my own 911, make a couple phone calls, and turn on my scanner waiting for ambulance...i knew i was in terible trouble. my LT. heard about it before i got to hospital and was there waiting for me. rescue guys had called the Sheriff.
    I am sure that your cardiologist will confirm that stress is bad and exercise is good for recovering heart patients. No reason that you should curtail diving or any other physical acitivities that you enjoy. I'll just betcha that one year after turning in your badge, you will be in the best shape of your whole life.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    they are going to have to pry my badge off my cold dead body!! (thankyou Lon!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast