Thread: beware of birmingham car auction in moseley

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:59 PM

Re: beware of birmingham car auction in moseley

Quote Originally Posted by Dtruth
    it seemed ok except the battery was flat
    Oh my. I think we have our Quote of the Month.

And "they had switched the engine management light off so that they could sell the car", had they?

Having a flat battery doesn't switch the engine management light off?

Go on, think about it.

It's an auction, not a car dealership! The warranty on what you buy is exactly what it says in the terms and conditions. Of course they can sell a car in that state, you're buying exactly what you see, no more and no less. It's a car auction. Good lord.

In what way do you claim the car was misrepresented?

If people needed a competency certificate to step outside their own doorstep, you'd be housebound.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    06:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with the car that you have bought from our auctions. However we did give you ample opportunity to check the car over, both during the auction and when you came back later and were given the keys. Unfortunately we are not mechanics here and do not have the capabilities to check each car over, which is why we sell the cars without a warranty and offer the opportunity for the buyer to check they are happy with the car.

All cars that are sold here, are sold on behalf of other sellers, and we do not make any adjustments to them, but simply sell them in the state they arrive to us.

As pointed out below, when buying from an auction you are getting a cheaper deal than retail but all cars are without warranty.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:59 PM

I'm sorry if this thread's causing you any bother, given that it keeps popping back into life every couple of years with these comments.

If you'd like my opinion, as an observer who sees a lot of posts, I don't think these are separate independent dissatisfied customers. I think you have someone raising accounts here and pushing on with a grudge against your firm. The posts are too much alike in tone and grammar. It would suggest you had at least one annoyed customer in the beginning but every trader has some, I expect. The one I deleted in 2012 isn't visible to the public but it has exactly the same tone as the two that are.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:59 AM

I have been in and around the car business all my life.
    I have bought a number of cars through various auto auctions in the States.
    If you know what you are doing, you can find a great bargain, sometimes. If you don't, you should stay away from the auctions.
    As the guy states, the auction company is basically a broker.
    And, Auctions have become far worse these days, due to the number of ignorant bargain hunters who are convinced that they can find the car of their dreams at the auction. They have no real idea of the value of a car, and they will lock in on a car and run the price up far beyond what it is really worth. Then when they get it home and it fails their expectations, they want to blame everyone else for their stupidity.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    06:59 AM

I have found & bought some real Gem's from birmingham car auctions in moseley over the last 10 or so years, good cars at bargain prices.. but this was only after gaining vital experiance from buying some not so nice examples from varies different auctions around, including BCA, SMA & Manheim (much larger national auction brands). All cars at any auction are sold as seen, you buy them as you see them, simple as that. Having a lack of motor knowledge proved to cost me in my early days, but you live & you learn quickly especially in auctions! There are some great cars to be bought, and my advice to any first timer is take someone who knows: (A) How the auction game works (B) Has a generally good knowledge of cars OR (C) Go pay the reatail price and get a warranty.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:59 AM

I am faced with the need to "put down" a car that I purchased at an auction.
    The Transmission failed on it, and it is not really worth the $3000+ cost of the repair.
    I bought this car at a auction, in 2000. It was 4 years old and had 56k miles on it. I paid 10k.
    It now reads 259k on the odometer. I spent about 4k on repairs over the last 14 years.

I think I got my money's worth.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    02:59 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I am faced with the need to "put down" a car that I purchased at an auction.
    The Transmission failed on it, and it is not really worth the $3000+ cost of the repair.
    I bought this car at a auction, in 2000. It was 4 years old and had 56k miles on it. I paid 10k.
    It now reads 259k on the odometer. I spent about 4k on repairs over the last 14 years.

I think I got my money's worth.
    I would have said you got good value there, overall. I would agree with not buying a car at auction unless you, or someone with you knows what faults to look out for, and those that can be ignored safely.
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2