+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Plenty

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    11:51 AM

Plenty

"It is easy enough to tell the poor to accept their poverty as God's will when you yourself have warm clothes and plenty of food and medical care and a roof over your head and no worry about the rent. But if you want them to believe you--try to share some of their poverty and see if you can accept it as God's will yourself!"

Thomas Merton

the awesomest one :) Omni_Skittles's Avatar
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    02:51 PM

Re: Plenty

I've been poor! i have felt the poverty. But i would still never say to accept your poverty~

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    02:51 PM

I think we must accept whatever our position is in life. Yes, I think many of us have been very poor at one time or another, and I would never tell them to accept it. I would assist them to try to make things better for themselves and their loved ones.

But some things you must accept-whether you like it or not. I must accept how my husband is, try to make some things better, but know most things will never be again.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Omni

Unfortunately some do. That is the attitude of many. Just accept your poverty as the will of God they are told.

Shalom
    Ted

Jester2

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    "It is easy enough to tell the poor to accept their poverty as God's will when you yourself have warm clothes and plenty of food and medical care and a roof over your head and no worry about the rent. But if you want them to believe you--try to share some of their poverty and see if you can accept it as God's will yourself!"

Thomas Merton
    I think you cant quite say that till you define poverty and wealth. They are relative terms.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    01:51 PM

I don't know anyone who goes around telling poor people they have to accept their poverty as God's will, although it's probable more difficult today for anyone to get out of poverty than it's been in the past, considering the high cost of living and education. It used to be that the working class was the middle class. Now the working class is the working poor.

Jester2

I met people who had nothing and were as happy as can be, they had no concept of poverty.

So someone better define poverty...

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

jester

What does the average human need to live a decent life in a peaceful society? What does the average person in Nigeria need. Shell takes the oil and returns little money for its natural resources. Corruption? Sure their is and Shell is helping it along.

What does the average human need? $10 000, 20 000, 30 000.

Shalom
    Ted

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

jester

If a child is born and raised in a pig pen he may be happy with that. Is it morally right that you or I can live comfortably and not show the child of the pig pen a better life? Is it morally right?

Shalom
    Ted

Jester2

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    jester

What does the average human need to live a decent life in a peaceful society? What does the average person in Nigeria need. Shell takes the oil and returns little money for its natural resources. Corruption? Sure their is and Shell is helping it along.

What does the average human need? $10 000, 20 000, 30 000.

Shalom
    Ted
    You now defined it by saying 'decent'.

Im not throwing up an argument, I'm just wanting to know what the cut off is?

To me poverty is not having your needs met, and being welthy is having more than your needs met.

Needs being , food and clothing.

If your saying its needs met plus 20 grand well then, then we need to talk comparisons of wealth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast