Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Silence

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time
    02:53 PM

The Art of Silence

I'm reading a book right now about silence, both inner and outer. The author, a spiritual master with an unpronouncable name, claims that the amount of noise people make is a sign of their need for attention and disquiet in their soul.

Wonder how he feels about high heeled shoes? Torture devices that they are...

How noisy are you? Do you laugh exceptionally loud? Do you clatter your knife and fork on the table when you eat? Have you ever thought of it or paid attention? I notice. I cringe when I drop something, wear soft soled shoes, I even gave my daughter a pair of my jeans that make too much noise when the legs brush together. She doesn't mind.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time
    04:53 PM

Re: The Art of Silence

Well, young ones make more noise, and it is a natural part of growing up to need attention. As adults, I think we are atuned to what is around us, and bring our noise level up or down, whatever is appropriate. I have learned to be very quiet for me, since I can not talk alot at home, my husband has a few sentence tolerance for talking and understanding. I must make alot of noise at school.....

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

I talk a lot once I get started.

It's the little noises that I've noticed I have aversion to. I place pens down softly on the tables etc.

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

Some little noises are bothersome, and you have to filter out the background white noise all the time. I am one who like a quiet house, and prefer background noises off. I no longer even listen to the radio in the car, I prefer what quiet there is inside, until going into the roar of a busy school.

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

The book mentions that some people, even when they talk, have a silence about them. Do you know someone like that? When is the last time you spoke to someone that had a sense of silence and quiet around them?

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

Yes, I do. They have this serene quality to their presence, it is audible in their speaking which is never loud. What does the book say about things like music-an audible manifestation, but very soothing at times to people?

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

He promotes singing, which they do before every meditation as it creates vibrations in the body that increase spiritual awareness and attunement.

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

So positive reinforcement of specific noise, which is beneficial. But how do you block out negative noises, when you have no choice? It would be hard to be atuned to a specific level at all times, and function in a real world.

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

gotta go to work. I just started the book. I'm noticing noise more keenly though.

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time

Thumbs up Re: The Art of Silence

Register to remove this ad.
    I have very acute hearing some noises aren't my friend. I love quite and strive for it in my own environment at home. I could go for days without uttering a word if people would let me.

Now at work its a totally different world every piece of equipment I work with makes noise and lots of it. The servers make noise, the APC makes noise, the PC's make noise, Our Phone system makes noise, Scanner, Printers, faxes all make noise. I make noise you name it in my world it makes noise. That is one reason I buy Dell Computers and Laptops for the offices I'm in charge of. They are QUITE machines and I love that.

In my office at work I have soothing music on in the background to quite the noise of the machines. After a fashion I just can't take it and have to go outside and find quite for a bit.

I find most people are noise makers, they laugh loud, talk loud, walk loud. I can tell you who is coming down the hall by their walks.

QUITE IS A BLESSING FOR ME AND I LOVE IT...
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast