+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Zimbabwe votes

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time
    05:58 PM

Zimbabwe votes

Now my impression is that Mugabe has run the country into the ground, blamed everyone but himself, rigged all the elections hitherto and probably salted away a hefty retirement fund in a Swiss bank account. What chance is there for the country

1) Getting a free and fair election this time?

2) Recovering?

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

Re: Zimbabwe votes

Has Zimbabwe been under international external sanctions recently?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

I think that in the end it was felt sanctions would mostly hit the innocent. I believe that the ruling elite were put under some sort of travel sanctions and there were attempts to limit them taking money out of the country, but I don't know how effective they were. Must admit I've rather ignored Zimbabwe recently. Iraq, Afganistan etc have rather distracted me.

guilt. Knew some Zimbabwean refugees a few years ago through a writers' group, but I've lost touch. This thread is my rather feeble attempt to redress the balance.

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time
    01:58 PM

Heard an interesting interview on CBC Radio with some Zimbabweans living in Canada.

The annual inflation rate in Zimbabwe is 150,000 %.

One of the interviewees said his nephew recently took the bus to work in Harare one morning. The fare was Z$25,000,000 .

When he returned home in the evening, the fare had doubled to Z$50,000,000.
    (yes, those last two numbers are millions of dollars.)

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

Richard: Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was talking about. I gather Zimbabwe was an beautiful jewel and a functioning country andthen Mugabe drove out the middle class (which was 90% white) and the country collapsed . It may not be pc but it does appear to be true.

Before anyone has a go at me for racism, it's not a matter of colour, it's a matter of education.

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

It's also a question of fact, presumably. I do realize you're voicing a popular impression but I doubt whether it could be justified by the actualite.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    It's also a question of fact, presumably. I do realize you're voicing a popular impression but I doubt whether it could be justified by the actualite.

Yeah, my ignorance is fairly extensive. Was hoping there might be a few people out there who knew about this issue. Most of what I know is based on what refugees told me, and of course their viewpoint is not neutral. Did see an interview with a Zanu/PF supporter who was disillusioned with Mugabe - he'd believed what Mugabe told him in the past, but no longer.

Nonetheless the fact remains that under Mugabe the country has been trashed. Perhaps beyond the point of no return?

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    the fact remains that under Mugabe the country has been trashed. Perhaps beyond the point of no return?
    That we can definitely agree on. And Mugabe has doubtless been bloody-minded and intransigent.

Can you, out of interest, think of a single instance where external international sanctions did anything other than pull a country closer to supporting its ruler instead of pushing them into ditching him?

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    That we can definitely agree on. And Mugabe has doubtless been bloody-minded and intransigent.

Can you, out of interest, think of a single instance where external international sanctions did anything other than pull a country closer to supporting its ruler instead of pushing them into ditching him?
    Nope, but my lack of knowledge doesn't mean much.

In the case of South Africa it might be that the sanctions were effective in the sense that they gave the international community somethig to focus on that they could do, and the important fact was the focus of disapproval rather than the effect of the sanctions per se.

Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    The UK, I think, was allowed carte blanche to impose its bullying on Zimbabwe from the moment Mugabe went ahead with his promise to redistribute land, which had been a pledge throughout the struggle for a colour-free independence. Mugabe didn't back down, the UK has been "in charge" internationally and we've crushed the entire economy in a misguided refusal to admit defeat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast