Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Genetic Link Tied to Smoking Addiction

Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time
    08:36 AM

Genetic Link Tied to Smoking Addiction

I was reading the thread yesterday about homosexuality being genetic...now this:
    http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/...02163709990001

I submit that all sin is genetic! God created us with a free will to make choices, good or bad. He did not want more angels who had to serve Him. He wanted humans created in His own image that were able to make their own choices, that would chose to serve Him.

I am a simple person ( I know a lot of you will say Amen to that), but I think the things that convict us as being wrong we try to excuse. We spend millions on research trying to prove that we cannot help the sinful deeds we do. It is genetic....it is a sin gene, but we are not bound by it's power. I know that has been able to do gene manipulation therapy since time began and it is FREE!

It is like Flip Wilson used to say "the devil made me do it" and he is right, but that's not an excuse for it.

We all need our genes adjusted and Jesus can adjust yours if you will allow Him to.

God Bless!

Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:36 PM

Re: Genetic Link Tied to Smoking Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by BHughesNC View Post
    I was reading the thread yesterday about homosexuality being genetic...now this:
    http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/...02163709990001

I submit that all sin is genetic! God created us with a free will to make choices, good or bad. He did not want more angels who had to serve Him. He wanted humans created in His own image that were able to make their own choices, that would chose to serve Him.

I am a simple person ( I know a lot of you will say Amen to that), but I think the things that convict us as being wrong we try to excuse. We spend millions on research trying to prove that we cannot help the sinful deeds we do. It is genetic....it is a sin gene, but we are not bound by it's power. I know that has been able to do gene manipulation therapy since time began and it is FREE!

It is like Flip Wilson used to say "the devil made me do it" and he is right, but that's not an excuse for it.

We all need our genes adjusted and Jesus can adjust yours if you will allow Him to.

God Bless!
    Excuse me, but since when has smoking been a sin?

Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time
    09:36 AM

Some people are so multi-talented. Can he take in a skirt for me too - I am useless at that sort thing

Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are a couple of principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us to not allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. The apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me" - but I will not be mastered by anything." Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive.

I believe this principle applies to drugs of any kind When we surrender to addiction, we are no longer our own, but a servant to the addiction.

God Bless
    Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sharing-christ.gif
Views:	114
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	20233  

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    That was my first thought too. LOL

OK. So if I decide to smoke a set number of cigarettes in a day and stay within my determined goal I have mastered the addiction and have nothing to worry about with God.

Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BHughesNC View Post
    The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are a couple of principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us to not allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. The apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me" - but I will not be mastered by anything." Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive.

I believe this principle applies to drugs of any kind When we surrender to addiction, we are no longer our own, but a servant to the addiction.

God Bless
    Bobby
    Dictating what science can find according to your particular interpretation of religion is not an option - determining a response to it maybe but not the truth of the findings themselves.

You appear to be so intent on using the research to push your religious views that you are completely mis-representing the contents of the paper.

There are undoubtedly people who are pre-disposed to addiction (whether that pre-disposition is psychological or physical is another question) but nobody is suggesting that anyone if forced into addiction through their genetic make up, no "Satan made me do it", no "I had no choice, my genes made me smoke", no-one is spending million on research to prove we cannot help the sins we commit - the research is to find better ways to help people break the addiction and stop the self-harm involved. It repeatedly emphasises the damage caused by smoking and that they are looking for ways to help current smokers quit - indeed, they make the point that their research should not be taken as a green light to smoke by people *without* the genetic variations they've found.

Preach away all you like but this plays the members here for fools and does more harm to your cause than good.

Local Date
    06-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    That was my first thought too. LOL

OK. So if I decide to smoke a set number of cigarettes in a day and stay within my determined goal I have mastered the addiction and have nothing to worry about with God.
    I believe personally, as an alcoholic and smoker (although by the Grace of God I have done neither for over 20 years now). The only way you master an addiction is to be able to say today I am not going to smoke, drink, get high, etc.

And as for worrying about God, that has nothing to do with addictions. That is all about surrendering your life to Him.

Bobby

+ Reply to Thread