+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stupid TV

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    11:11 PM

Stupid TV

Ive always been determined not to have cable TV in my home. Firstly, to me..... its all worthless garbage. Secondly, I resent anyone having to pay for TV. Thirdly, I have always felt its more productive for me to do anything else BUT watch TV. Since coming to live up in my tree house, I have felt kind of lonely, so I crumbled like a cheap deck of cards, and told the Comcast man to hook up the TV when he came to hook up the computer. I figured it would be like paying 33.00 per month for a companion, and the voices would keep me company. Since I havent watched TV in years, I was pretty excited about it. Well, ITS ALL GARBAGE. It is an eye opener though, giving me a glimpse of what the public is entertained by, and what kids are watching.
    Reality TV shows are the worst. They actually make me ashamed for the public. I have to get the Comcast people to shut it off, before I become zombified, and mentally damaged. Last night, right before falling asleep, I watched someone cut off someone elses ear. Very uplifting, very nice, Thank God I didnt miss that.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    07:11 AM

Re: Stupid TV

Hi Weeder, we have Sky and it's great company but there is a lot of good stuff on the health documentaries and the history channels etc. There is also some rubbish on like talk shows and things but I don't bother with those. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you!

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    05:11 PM

I have got pay tv and love it. Havent seen any ears chopped off though
    Gives me something descent to watch in the early hours of the morning when I am feeding the babies. There are good movies, comedy shows, documentaries etc or is yours different to mine

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    01:11 AM

I'm a TV junkie. I've wondered what it would be like to go years without watching and then tune in a station. Then I got DTs and grabbed the remote.

With streaming TV, now we can watch almost everything we want online. As soon as I can find dependable live NBA broadcasts and Suze Orman, I'm turning my cable off and getting the fastest internet access possible. That will actually save me money.

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    10:11 PM

Talking Re: Stupid TV

Quote Originally Posted by weeder View Post
    Ive always been determined not to have cable TV in my home. Firstly, to me..... its all worthless garbage. Secondly, I resent anyone having to pay for TV. Thirdly, I have always felt its more productive for me to do anything else BUT watch TV. Since coming to live up in my tree house, I have felt kind of lonely, so I crumbled like a cheap deck of cards, and told the Comcast man to hook up the TV when he came to hook up the computer. I figured it would be like paying 33.00 per month for a companion, and the voices would keep me company. Since I havent watched TV in years, I was pretty excited about it. Well, ITS ALL GARBAGE. It is an eye opener though, giving me a glimpse of what the public is entertained by, and what kids are watching.
    Reality TV shows are the worst. They actually make me ashamed for the public. I have to get the Comcast people to shut it off, before I become zombified, and mentally damaged. Last night, right before falling asleep, I watched someone cut off someone elses ear. Very uplifting, very nice, Thank God I didnt miss that.

Holy Cow I am glad I missed that are you in the states lol... Up here in Canada the cable or dish doesn't matter which one are both the ****s, and no matter what you get they get the same channels just charge more for it!!!

We call watching t.v. Repeat City..... Like hubby says so are you playing on the computter or going to watch Repeat City!!! lol

I am so glad the nice weather is coming and we don't have to be watching as much when disabled you can't do a lot of things so the tube is one thing to do but geez what every happened to all them movies, that are being made and have been made in the last 10 years lol let along the last 30 years seems like if you don't want to watch a guy talk to a basketball, what another rerun of the matrix, or A Stevne Segal flick, or any of the numerous other actors that have pictures that have to be on frim Friday at noon til Sunday midnight over and over you are out of luck!!! My little rant for the day!!!

Good Morning to everyone lol!!!

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    01:11 AM

you're right reality shows are the worst! I hardly ever watch network tv anymore since i got cable.
    like Kay said it's great to have when your up with the baby, i have a baby too!
    and i find lots of interesting documentaries on the discovery channel and the history channel and i love the house and garden channel, and all the old tv shows on tv land but my tv spends a lot of time on noggin (that's a channel for preschoolers) since i've got a toddler. and i love watching the Fox news channel. we also have several great movie channels for old movies, Turner Classi Movies, American Movie Classics, they show some great older stuff and we have a westerns channel, I myself am in love with John Wayne, i have to stop on any movie of his i see!
    my one guilty pleasure is Law and Order, i can't get enough of all those Law and Order shows!
    anyway with a couple hundred channels there's usually something somewhere that's watchable.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    02:11 AM

I'm waiting for Verizon Fios to come into my area and when it does, I'm dumping my current company. My guilty pleasure is General Hospital & Grey's Anatomy. I like to have it on even though I'm not watching it. Background noise. Kids and hubby are gone all day and it's nice to hear whatever is on tv.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

I was working for a company in 1995 that sold the old 1950s style TV antennas you put on your roof.

Using employee discounts and sale prices, I bought everything I needed for $300, and installed it myself. I cancelled the cable at that point.

The rotor seized up about two years ago, and in July 2006, a windstorm snapped the cable. By that point, I just couldn't be bothered to fix it. I'd had my fill of TV.

The antenna system worked magnificently. Living on the shore of Lake Ontario means I have lots of Canadian and American channels, maybe three dozen or so in the summer, and about eight in the dead of winter.

I'd guess I saved about $3500 over those years, and I didn't feel deprived for a minute.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

I figured it would be like paying 33.00 per month for a companion, and the voices would keep me company.
    I like to listen to CBC Radio One. Commercial free, lots of great music, smart conversation and interviews, good public affairs and news programming, and great comedy shows.

You can also find excellent radio programming on the internet. Just don't torture yourself listening to commercial radio.

Oh, and you can also put that $33.00 towards getting a real companion from the animal shelter, like I did :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bathtub006.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	20267  

anomaly
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    11:11 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    television is mind numbing.

I agree with Accountable. Up your internet connection and you'll have far better use of your free time. Lots of free stuff to watch or listen too. The idea of people sitting alone at home watching tv every day gives me the chilling recollection of Ellen Burstyn in Requiem For A Dream

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast