Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

  1. #1
    Banned AA grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    bonjour my little frog legs.
    moiusor grumpy here wiz anoser story for you my little petit pois.
    ok i,ll drop the froggy accent now.

    THE French postal service yesterday launched the latest competitive threat to ROYAL MAIL.

    LA POSTE, owned by the French government, has bought a controlling stake, worth around £20million, in sorting firm BTB MAILFLIGHT.

    And it could lead to La Poste’s yellow vans, a familiar sight in France, hitting Britain’s streets.

    La Poste said BTB Mailflight — whose customers include publisher IPC, Harrods and Laura Ashley — was a platform for UK expansion.

    It has an operation in Slough, La Poste UK, that handles international mail for business customers.

    But the latest deal will let it compete directly with Royal Mail by providing collection and sorting before “final mile” delivery to households by Royal Mail itself.

    La Poste is the third major European competitor for Royal Mail after Germany’s DEUTSCHE POST and Dutch-owned TNT. Birmingham-based BUSINESS POST, owner of UK Mail, is Royal Mail’s other main competitor. La Poste managing director Raymond Redding said: “This acquisition fits perfectly into our growth strategy. It reinforces our position as a major player worldwide to ultimately become European leader.

    “We will be able to operate in the part of the UK mail process which precedes ‘final mile’ delivery. That will give us a deeper understanding of the UK market, developing what we offer to customers and letting us increase market share.”

    BTB Mailflight was founded in 1969 by Terry Kavanagh. Son Ian is managing director while daughter Lindsay Deardon is sales and marketing director.

    Last night a Royal Mail spokesman said: “We welcome competition but what we are seeking is a level playing field, as there is already a huge amount of competition for business mail in the UK.”

    SUN CITY COMMENT: This will be good for competition, but it is a disgrace that Royal Mail is barred from France, where La Poste has a monopoly. The EU’s fearsome competition commissioner Neelie Kroes, who does a good job for consumers normally, needs to get on the case.

    AAG
    this is the direct result of our joining the eec/ eu when previous governments then blair and his labour traitors sold us out to europe.
    once again this is another british institution under threat from foreign competition.
    first we had the dutch and the jerries now the froggies are entering into the fray.
    we have industries owned by the yanks japs and chinese and goodness knows who else.
    with so many british industries falling into foreign hands is there anything left that is still owned by us that has not been sold off to the highest bidder because this is what may happen to the royal mail one day (the royal mail owned by the froggies?????.)
    we once led the world in industry and employment we are now bringing up the rear.
    AAG

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Under the duvet
    Posts
    306
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    FFS froggies? What decade do you live in?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,471
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    Quote Originally Posted by AA grumpy View Post
    bonjour my little frog legs.
    moiusor grumpy here wiz anoser story for you my little petit pois.
    ok i,ll drop the froggy accent now.

    THE French postal service yesterday launched the latest competitive threat to ROYAL MAIL.

    LA POSTE, owned by the French government, has bought a controlling stake, worth around £20million, in sorting firm BTB MAILFLIGHT.

    And it could lead to La Poste’s yellow vans, a familiar sight in France, hitting Britain’s streets.

    La Poste said BTB Mailflight — whose customers include publisher IPC, Harrods and Laura Ashley — was a platform for UK expansion.

    It has an operation in Slough, La Poste UK, that handles international mail for business customers.

    But the latest deal will let it compete directly with Royal Mail by providing collection and sorting before “final mile” delivery to households by Royal Mail itself.

    La Poste is the third major European competitor for Royal Mail after Germany’s DEUTSCHE POST and Dutch-owned TNT. Birmingham-based BUSINESS POST, owner of UK Mail, is Royal Mail’s other main competitor. La Poste managing director Raymond Redding said: “This acquisition fits perfectly into our growth strategy. It reinforces our position as a major player worldwide to ultimately become European leader.

    “We will be able to operate in the part of the UK mail process which precedes ‘final mile’ delivery. That will give us a deeper understanding of the UK market, developing what we offer to customers and letting us increase market share.”

    BTB Mailflight was founded in 1969 by Terry Kavanagh. Son Ian is managing director while daughter Lindsay Deardon is sales and marketing director.

    Last night a Royal Mail spokesman said: “We welcome competition but what we are seeking is a level playing field, as there is already a huge amount of competition for business mail in the UK.”

    SUN CITY COMMENT: This will be good for competition, but it is a disgrace that Royal Mail is barred from France, where La Poste has a monopoly. The EU’s fearsome competition commissioner Neelie Kroes, who does a good job for consumers normally, needs to get on the case.

    AAG
    this is the direct result of our joining the eec/ eu when previous governments then blair and his labour traitors sold us out to europe.
    once again this is another british institution under threat from foreign competition.
    first we had the dutch and the jerries now the froggies are entering into the fray.
    we have industries owned by the yanks japs and chinese and goodness knows who else.
    with so many british industries falling into foreign hands is there anything left that is still owned by us that has not been sold off to the highest bidder because this is what may happen to the royal mail one day (the royal mail owned by the froggies?????.)
    we once led the world in industry and employment we are now bringing up the rear.
    AAG
    Blame Maggie Thatcher- she was the one that privatised everything and sold it off to the highest bidder. I didn't vote for her along with most of the british voters yet we got stuck with her just as I didn't vote for Tony Blair along with most of the British voters. we badly need electoral reform to make parliament truly reflective of the way people actually vote. Proportional representation even if it does mean we get a BNP member in the house, no doubt he will find kindred spirits in the tory party.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Galbally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,813
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    I think the salient thing to remember is that the British government is the one that privatized everything and allowed institutions such as the Royal Mail, the NHS, Public Transport, and even the Home Office to fall into dissary. All the time telling British people how much better they have it than on the horrible continent, where they still have excellent public services and state sector companies in power generation, telecoms etc. These same companies are now offering the British consumers better services than their national ones are able to provide because they have been ransaked by private capital, and the public sector ethos is dead in a lot of the old institutions. So the fact that the French will provide British people with a decent postal system is better than allowing the hard pressed Brits no options at all. I would suggest that you look at the way you have allowed the country to be run for the past 25 years by your own very British politicians, before you blame the French or the EU, the usual British reaction for the national problems they encounter, its all the foriegners' fault.


    As usual my comment about that Anti EU thing is, if you don't like it, just leave, stop whining, and let the rest of us get on with it, we are monumentally bored having to listen to ye anyway.
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

    Le Rochefoucauld.

    "A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

    My dad 1986.

  5. #5
    Banned AA grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    Quote Originally Posted by Galbally View Post
    I think the salient thing to remember is that the British government is the one that privatized everything and allowed institutions such as the Royal Mail, the NHS, Public Transport, and even the Home Office to fall into dissary. All the time telling British people how much better they have it than on the horrible continent, where they still have excellent public services and state sector companies in power generation, telecoms etc. These same companies are now offering the British consumers better services than their national ones are able to provide because they have been ransaked by private capital, and the public sector ethos is dead in a lot of the old institutions. So the fact that the French will provide British people with a decent postal system is better than allowing the hard pressed Brits no options at all. I would suggest that you look at the way you have allowed the country to be run for the past 25 years by your own very British politicians, before you blame the French or the EU, the usual British reaction for the national problems they encounter, its all the foriegners' fault.


    As usual my comment about that Anti EU thing is, if you don't like it, just leave, stop whining, and let the rest of us get on with it, we are monumentally bored having to listen to ye anyway.
    as you live in the irish republic by rights you live in a different country and in no real position to slate the uk.
    however my point being that too many british industries have gone abroad to foreign competition and british jobs lost because production is moved to say india because its cheaper.
    foreign competition is fine as long as the field of play is level and not in their favour after all everyone is entitled to choice but not at the cost of british jobs.
    and if you are bored with listening to me then go elsewhere i do not force the aa grumpy column down your throat you have a choice.
    finally was it the british troops fault then when they where in southern ireland during the bloody sunday riots and other secterian violence?
    i do this volunterally nearly every night and try to find some snippet to amuse and debate about which is what the fg is all about. AAG

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,465
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    Quote Originally Posted by AA grumpy View Post
    as you live in the irish republic by rights you live in a different country and in no real position to slate the uk.
    however my point being that too many british industries have gone abroad to foreign competition and british jobs lost because production is moved to say india because its cheaper.
    foreign competition is fine as long as the field of play is level and not in their favour after all everyone is entitled to choice but not at the cost of british jobs.
    and if you are bored with listening to me then go elsewhere i do not force the aa grumpy column down your throat you have a choice.
    finally was it the british troops fault then when they where in southern ireland during the bloody sunday riots and other secterian violence?
    i do this volunterally nearly every night and try to find some snippet to amuse and debate about which is what the fg is all about. AAG
    The playing field is level, both in this case and in the case of the Indian call centres.

    The GPO could just as easily set up in France.

    Our call centre workers could equally settle for £0.50p / hour. If we insist on a better standard of living then we have to earn it - to justify our higher labour cost we have to provide better labour. Trouble is we believe that the world owes us a living.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Galbally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,813
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    Quote Originally Posted by AA grumpy View Post
    as you live in the irish republic by rights you live in a different country and in no real position to slate the uk.
    however my point being that too many british industries have gone abroad to foreign competition and british jobs lost because production is moved to say india because its cheaper.
    foreign competition is fine as long as the field of play is level and not in their favour after all everyone is entitled to choice but not at the cost of british jobs.
    and if you are bored with listening to me then go elsewhere i do not force the aa grumpy column down your throat you have a choice.
    finally was it the british troops fault then when they where in southern ireland during the bloody sunday riots and other secterian violence?
    i do this volunterally nearly every night and try to find some snippet to amuse and debate about which is what the fg is all about. AAG
    Firstly, its not called the Irish Republic or Southern Ireland, its the Republic of Ireland, and I may be Irish but I was born in England in Birmingham, so I have a close link to England and I'm therefore not being anti-English and I'm also not slating the UK, I am countering your argument which seems to be basically blaming the French or the EU for the problems in the British postal service.

    I don't think anyone is sugggesting that British people should lose their jobs so that French companies can make more profits, what should happen is that the Government in the UK should invest more time, money, and effort in getting the country's basic public institutions working properly, they they would be equally as capable of competing in other EU states in a deregulated market, there are several examples of very sucessful British companies operating within the EU and further afield, so its not like it can't be done.

    As for the issue of jobs going to India and China, I agree that its unwise for European countries like the UK or France or other western nations such as the USA to allow themselves to become de-industrialized, thats all been done in the name of the profits of high financiers (you know, those dudes that Maggie Thatcher made such a fuss about in the 1980s while destroying the British Car industry), but I think the trend will reverse actually, when the real implications of turning ourselves into economic dependencies of the People's Republic of China becomes more clear.

    I am not bored listening to you at all, I was refering to the British Anti-European (or the "all ***s start at Calais") argument in general, which we have all had to listen to incesantly for the last 30 years. Sometimes I really wonder why Britain bothered joining the EU (or EEC) at all, as obviously it still hasn't come to terms emotionally with not having an Empire any more, and reverting to its traditional position as a still powerful and important European state, but no longer being a global superpower, I suppose its understandable in a way. Its my thesis that British politicians have done their people a massive disservice by totally misrepresenting what the European thing is all about, and allowing this reactionary, populist argument to develop over the years, and pandering to people's basic xenophobia which might go down great in the fish market in Croydon, but whether its in the country's long term interest to be so hostile to its own continent is another thing.

    As to your last question, are you referring to the Bloody Sunday riots and subsequent mass shooting in Derry in 1972, (as of course there were no British troops south of the Border at this time, or any time since 1923) or perhaps the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1922 in Croke Park, in which British troops were most certainly south of the Border? Also, in terms of the sectarianism question, are you referring to life in the Republic or to events in the North, I don't mind answering your question but you need to be more specific.
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

    Le Rochefoucauld.

    "A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

    My dad 1986.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,471
    Local Date
    10-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:17 PM

    Re: French move into UK mail or hop it royal mail

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by AA grumpy View Post
    as you live in the irish republic by rights you live in a different country and in no real position to slate the uk.
    however my point being that too many british industries have gone abroad to foreign competition and british jobs lost because production is moved to say india because its cheaper.
    foreign competition is fine as long as the field of play is level and not in their favour after all everyone is entitled to choice but not at the cost of british jobs.
    and if you are bored with listening to me then go elsewhere i do not force the aa grumpy column down your throat you have a choice.
    finally was it the british troops fault then when they where in southern ireland during the bloody sunday riots and other secterian violence?
    i do this volunterally nearly every night and try to find some snippet to amuse and debate about which is what the fg is all about. AAG
    No you don't. You just want to have a wee rant and not discuss anything at all. You get upset because You're talking a load of rubbish and can't actually argue your case. If you don't like being disagreed with then why are you posting on a discussion forum? Our malaise has got very little to do with the EU and everything to do with our politicians and when it comes to the sell off of british industry most of it can be laid at the door of bad management and maggie thatcher-she was the one that said britain should be a service economy and manufacturing didn't matter. Without the EU britain would be in a far worse state it's fairly certain westminster wouldn't have been regenerating all the areas helped by the eu regional development fund.

    We weren't sold down the river we had a referendum and joined the EEC, an inconvenient fact the BNP and ukip like to overlook.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Royal Mail is to blame for our broken society
    By gmc in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 04:53 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 04:18 AM
  3. web E-Mail
    By Lene in forum Computers & Internet
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM
  4. no mail
    By lady cop in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 08:50 AM
  5. need e-mail help
    By tornado in forum Computers & Internet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts