Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US Assimilation Article

Local Date
    02-16-2020
    Local Time
    03:23 PM

US Assimilation Article

Very interesting article on immigrants assimilating into the US society.
    LINK
    A new study out this week by the Manhattan Institute should dispel a few myths on immigrant assimilation. The study looked at a range of factors -- economic, cultural, and civic -- to assess whether today's immigrants are becoming part of the American mainstream. But it also compared this generation of immigrants to the Great Wave who came to America's shores in the early part of the 20th century. The good news is that today's immigrants appear to be assimilating at faster rates than those older generations of immigrants, even though they start out with more disadvantages.
    It hadn't occurred to me that we do nothing to facilitate assimilation, but the only thing we spend money on is, well, I almost said enforcement but that's not it.

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    02-16-2020
    Local Time
    03:23 PM

Re: US Assimilation Article

The "disadvantages" the more recent immigrants have are most likely due to how they have come into this country.......illegally. Which is, at least in part, the US's fault for allowing this to occur for so long a period of time.
    The Mexicans are welcome here. They bring a diversity of culture, a strong work force. They are our neighbors. But, I feel, if they want to live here, as opposed to just visit here, they need proper documentation. And although I believe the Mexican language is beautiful, they need to learn our language as well.
    Allowing a certain group of people to "assimilate" is fine, but that should come with certain responsibilites from their end.

Just IMO
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Jester2

Quote Originally Posted by along-for-the-ride View Post
    The "disadvantages" the more recent immigrants have are most likely due to how they have come into this country.......illegally. Which is, at least in part, the US's fault for allowing this to occur for so long a period of time.
    The Mexicans are welcome here. They bring a diversity of culture, a strong work force. They are our neighbors. But, I feel, if they want to live here, as opposed to just visit here, they need proper documentation. And although I believe the Mexican language is beautiful, they need to learn our language as well.
    Allowing a certain group of people to "assimilate" is fine, but that should come with certain responsibilites from their end.

Just IMO
    I just have two things to say abotu that AFTR...

I fully agree its the governments fault for not enforcing immigration laws, there is NO excuse for that.

Second, All Mexicans are not welcome here, we don't want Mexicans with a criminal back ground, we don't want anyone with a cirminal back ground period.

Jester2

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Very interesting article on immigrants assimilating into the US society.
    LINK
    A new study out this week by the Manhattan Institute should dispel a few myths on immigrant assimilation. The study looked at a range of factors -- economic, cultural, and civic -- to assess whether today's immigrants are becoming part of the American mainstream. But it also compared this generation of immigrants to the Great Wave who came to America's shores in the early part of the 20th century. The good news is that today's immigrants appear to be assimilating at faster rates than those older generations of immigrants, even though they start out with more disadvantages.
    It hadn't occurred to me that we do nothing to facilitate assimilation, but the only thing we spend money on is, well, I almost said enforcement but that's not it.
    But, what about Canadian and Indian immigrants? There's little clue why they don't join the military or become citizens at higher rates, but Prof. Vigdor does suggest that those who scored highest on civic assimilation, Vietnamese and Filipinos, come from countries that experienced recent U.S. military intervention in the past 100 years; but then so did the Dominican Republic, whose immigrants score in the middle range on civic assimilation.
    Interesting commentary here, I would say off the top of my head that the canadaians believe their country is socially superior than the US so they dont want to 'step down' and Indians have a deep religious philosophy vastly different than the US culture and don't leave it very often, those two cultures clash in other words.

Local Date
    02-16-2020
    Local Time
    04:23 PM

Canada officially doesn't encourage assimilation - we have an official multcultural policy, we pay people to be different doncha know.

================================================

Jester2

Quote Originally Posted by freetobeme View Post
    Canada officially doesn't encourage assimilation - we have an official multcultural policy, we pay people to be different doncha know.

================================================
    aha, got ya...

JAB

Register to remove this ad.
    Speaking from personal experience, the best thing any government can do to facilitate assimilation into any society is to learn the language by reading, reading and more reading.

When my family came over, I was a baby so I wasn't affected. My sisters, however, were of school age and struggled with the language barrier. The key thing stressed, not only by our parents but by their teachers as well, was to read anything at every opportunity. Math skills weren't a problem as they were 2-3 grade levels ahead of their classmates but until they were able to grasp the English language, they lagged behind.

+ Reply to Thread