Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Star SPangled Banner" replaced with "Black National Anthem," Upsets People

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    04:40 AM

Question "Star SPangled Banner" replaced with "Black National Anthem," Upsets People

I have mixed feelings on this. What do you guys think?

DENVER - Mayor John Hickenlooper's annual State of the City address may get more attention for what wasn't included than what was.

At the start of the event Tuesday morning, City Council President Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.
    Instead, she performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which is also known as the "black national anthem."
    When she finished, the audience responded with mild applause. The national anthem was never performed.

Governor Bill Ritter (D-Colorado) discussed the incident on The Mike Rosen Show on 850 KOA on Wednesday morning, calling it "inappropriate."
    "I don't think it's fair artistic expression," said Ritter.
    Ritter went on to say he felt Marie's actions were "wrong" and "outside the bounds."
    "It certainly is operating as a distraction," said Ritter.
    Marie told 9NEWS she kept her plans to switch songs quiet until the very last moment. She says only she, her husband and a friend knew she was going to sing something other than the "Star-Spangled Banner."
    She says she wanted to express her love of her country by mixing the lyrics of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" with the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner."
    "When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" said Marie.
    Hickenlooper's staff picked Marie to sing the national anthem. The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement.
    When asked if he was offended, Hickenlooper said, "You know I was more confused and I think I was more – what I was, was disappointed and confused and that's why I wanted to talk to her."
    "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1899 and set to music by his brother in 1900.
    City Councilman Charlie Brown took to talk radio Tuesday afternoon to criticize the absence of the national anthem at the State of the City proceedings.
    "There is no substitute for the national anthem, period," Brown said. "And that's what really bothered me. You know when we fly the flag, the American flag, it's always the highest flag, as it should be. And that didn't come across today, that didn't happen today."
    In hindsight, both Brown and Hickenlooper say they should have stopped Marie or began singing themselves.
    Marie says if she had the benefit of doing it over, she would sing the same song.
    When asked if she would apologize for what happened she said, "No I do not."
    Marie has been singing professionally for 10 years.
    Brown says he doesn't have a problem with people expressing their views, but he says Marie chose the wrong venue.

Below are the full lyrics to "Lift Ev'ry Voice & Sing"
    LIFT EV'RY VOICE AND SING
    Also known as "The Black National Anthem"
    by James Weldon Johnson

Lift ev'ry voice and sing,
    Till earth and heaven ring.
    Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
    Let our rejoicing rise,
    High as the list'ning skies,
    Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
    Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
    Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
    Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
    Let us march on till victory is won.
    Stony the road we trod,
    Bitter the chast'ning rod,
    Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
    Yet with a steady beat,
    Have not our weary feet,
    Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
    We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
    We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
    Out from the gloomy past,
    Till now we stand at last
    Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.
    God of our weary years,
    God of our silent tears,
    Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
    Thou who has by Thy might,
    Led us into the light,
    Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
    Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
    Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee,
    Shadowed beneath thy hand,
    May we forever stand,
    True to our God,
    True to our native land.

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    01:40 PM

Re: "Star SPangled Banner" replaced with "Black National Anthem," Upsets People

A few weeks ago someone posted on here about singing the Baptist anthem before the national anthem and wondering if that was treason.
    But then.... I guess this is PC

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Angry Re: "Star SPangled Banner" replaced with "Black National Anthem," Upsets People

If nothing else she was hired to sing the "National Anthem" she didn't she lacks integrity and broke her contract. If she was getting paid they owe her nothing.

Is this the story where she sang the "Black Anthem" to the melody of the "National Anthem". If so that was even worse in my opinion.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    11:40 AM

Doesn't the National Anthem accuse African Americans of cowardice? Perhaps I'm reading it wrongly but it might seem that way to those who are sensitive to the use of the word "slave" in a song written in 1831. Even so it would be more polite for her merely to refuse to sing it rather than to make a substitution without prior agreement.

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Exclamation Re: "Star SPangled Banner" replaced with "Black National Anthem," Upsets People

I See Your True Color's Are Showing Or Is That Your True Nature Showing ?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Daniyal View Post
    I See Your True Color's Are Showing Or Is That Your True Nature Showing ?
    Me?

I have true colours and you can distinguish them?

I have a true nature you can observe from such a distance?

You surprise me. What are my true colours? Can you put my true nature into words for us?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Exclamation Re: "Star SPangled Banner" replaced with "Black National Anthem," Upsets People

I Have A Question ,

Can Any One Here Type Out The PledgeOf Allegiance , And Its' Overstanding / Meaning ?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Daniyal View Post
    I Have A Question
    You have far too many questions. Do you have no answers to questions put to you?

What are my true colours? Can you put my true nature into words for us?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    07:40 AM

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    ...broke her contract. If she was getting paid they owe her nothing.
    I agree with this...

However,..I think it's still important to understand what "freedom of speech" truly means and this incident shouldn't go down as anything other than her breach of contract...

It's far more concerning to allow a nation to demand what's said of it's people than someone who has admitted to her motives being primarily the emphasis of preference towards her singing "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" as opposed to her obligation to her contract...Her intention was to voice her enthusiasm for what she believes means alot to her people as opposed to her feeling her people wish to conspire against their belief in what the true implications are behind the "Star Spangled Banner"...

I can see alot of people take offense to her preference to sing "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" over the "Star Spangled Banner" but all I see is a woman singing a song that she knows full well means something great to those to whom she can relate to...

I see freedom of speech...

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    You have far too many questions. Do you have no answers to questions put to you?

What are my true colours? Can you put my true nature into words for us?

You spoke them in the above post didn't you ! Stop acting like you don't know what you say and meant , One thing for sure to late to clean it up . Now your trying to flip it LOLOLOLOLOL Talking about tell US . The Us you were talking about already know what you said .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast