Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    08:06 PM

Re: FGs' Favorite Recipes

oscar

Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe
    Ingredients
    2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb), stems removed, finely diced
    1/2 red onion, finely diced
    1 jalapeƱo chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced
    1 serano chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced
    Juice of one lime
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Optional: oregano and or cumin to taste
    Method
    1 Start with chopping up 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes. Prepare the chilies. Set aside some of the seeds from the peppers. If the salsa isn't hot enough, you can add a few for heat.

2 Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Taste. If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato. If not hot enough, carefully add a few of the seeds from the chilies, or add some ground cumin.

Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine.

Makes approximately 3-4 cups.

Serve with chips, tortillas, tacos, burritos, tostadas, quesadillas, pinto or black beans.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

tabby

This isn't my favorite recipe but I made it last weekend for the first time and the tacos were so good! I was concerned over how they would stand up to comparison with traditional meat filled tacos and while obviously not quite the same, they were excellent and I'll definitely be making them again. I fiddled with it a little, using regular tomato salsa instead of salsa verde and using shredded cheddar cheese instead of queso blanco. I don't even know what that is! I pulled the recipe from a Family Circle magazine a few months ago. Try it sometime!

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Here's a link I've stumbled upon to what sounds like a nice pork loin recipe... http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/ki...pork-loin.html

We do something similar but it's far less work...

Pork Loin

3lb pork loin
    1 medium onion
    garlic(when in doubt throw an extra one in there!)
    2 cans crushed pineapple in syrup
    Brown Sugar (I'd say about a tablespoon)
    whole cloves (probably need around 20 whole cloves

Pork doesn't really need much to add to it

First, place whole cloves throughout the loin being sure to insert the cloves down inside the loin as well. Puree the onion and garlic then generously coat the loin and let marinate for at least an hour. Mix cans of pineapple (with syrup) and brown sugar together and then coat the loin with only 1/3 of mixture. periodically coat the loin with the remaining pineapple mixture while roasting.

For a 3lb loin I'd say you need to bake it at 350 degrees F for at least 2 hours(I believe the loin internal temp of 165 degrees F is ideal but if you're using a meat thermometer I would double check that!). The onion and pineapple mixture will ensure that it doesn't become too dry. A meat thermometer is ideal.

When it's done make sure you save the drippings in the pan as a table top sauce for the meat!

We eat it with a tangy potato salad. I'll have to get back with you on that one...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6