Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: According To The Scriptures Who Are The Curse Seed Of Canaan ?

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    02:55 AM

Re: According To The Scriptures Who Are The Curse Seed Of Canaan ?

Cursed be Canaan: You have caused me to be incapable of begetting another fourth son (Gen. Rabbah , manuscripts, and early editions read: a fourth son) to serve me. Cursed be your fourth son, that he should minister to the children of these older ones [Shem and Japhet], upon whom the burden of serving me has been placed from now on (Gen. Rabbah 36:7). Now what did Ham see (what reason did he have) that he castrated him? He said to his brothers,“The first man [Adam] had two sons, and one killed the other so as to inherit the world, and our father has three sons, and he still desires a fourth son!” - [from Gen. Rabbah ibid. 5, 22:7]
    translated by scholar, Rabbi A.J. Rosenberg.
    In Hebrew if it helps,also found in from Sanh 70a] \b 23\b0
    ארור כנען: אתה גרמת לי שלא אוליד בן רביעי אחר לשמשני, ארור בנך רביעי להיות משמש את זרעם של אלו הגדולים, שהוטל עליהם טורח עבודתי מעתה. ומה ראה חם שסרסו, אמר להם לאחיו אדם הראשון שני בנים היו לו, והרג זה את זה בשביל ירושת העולם ואבינו יש לו שלשה בנים ועודנו מבקש בן רביעי:

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    10:55 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
    Cursed be Canaan: You have caused me to be incapable of begetting another fourth son (Gen. Rabbah , manuscripts, and early editions read: a fourth son) to serve me. Cursed be your fourth son, that he should minister to the children of these older ones [Shem and Japhet], upon whom the burden of serving me has been placed from now on (Gen. Rabbah 36:7). Now what did Ham see (what reason did he have) that he castrated him? He said to his brothers,“The first man [Adam] had two sons, and one killed the other so as to inherit the world, and our father has three sons, and he still desires a fourth son!” - [from Gen. Rabbah ibid. 5, 22:7]
    translated by scholar, Rabbi A.J. Rosenberg.
    In Hebrew if it helps,also found in from Sanh 70a] \b 23\b0
    ארור כנען: אתה גרמת לי שלא אוליד בן רביעי אחר לשמשני, ארור בנך רביעי להיות משמש את זרעם של אלו הגדולים, שהוטל עליהם טורח עבודתי מעתה. ומה ראה חם שסרסו, אמר להם לאחיו אדם הראשון שני בנים היו לו, והרג זה את זה בשביל ירושת העולם ואבינו יש לו שלשה בנים ועודנו מבקש בן רביעי:
    Interesting - a very different reading but one that make far more sense than ours which sounds more like an abusive father than anything else.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    02:55 AM

Translations ,though very good, lost a lot of meaning going from ancient Hebrew to Greek to what is now called the old testament (always disliked that name)
    Torah in Hebrew script has not changed but even Hebrew today is not the same as 2000 yrs ago.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    10:55 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
    Translations ,though very good, lost a lot of meaning going from ancient Hebrew to Greek to what is now called the old testament (always disliked that name)
    Torah in Hebrew script has not changed but even Hebrew today is not the same as 2000 yrs ago.
    This is where I have a big problem with the Bible as the Inerrant Word of God - too much human intervention on the way, too much self interest and frailty involved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6