Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: The Philosophy Of Faith

  1. #1
    anomaly
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,772
    Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    04:52 PM

    The Philosophy Of Faith

    I remember when I was about 18 I had an intellectual, spiritual crisis. I asked myself the question "What if I'm wrong?" about my religious beliefs. I put this under philosophy because, with faith, there is no chance of solid, irrefutable proof and it wasn't about whether or not I should just go with my intuition. It was about what it would mean to me, intellectually, if my entire concept of the world were false, whether I knew it or not.

  2. #2
    jimbo
    Guest

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    well koanie first let me say how nice you on fg

    the thing that i always thought was if you dont believe in god and you are wrong about it ... major mistake ouch

    but if you do believe in god and you are wrong so what you will hardly know about it will you and at least you have lived a good life doing good things not much wrong with that is there

    i know beyond any doubt in my mind that there is something after death by visitations and someone on fg had a vision of something belonging to someone that had died and there is no way she could of known that unless.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    12:52 PM

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    well koanie first let me say how nice you on fg

    the thing that i always thought was if you dont believe in god and you are wrong about it ... major mistake ouch

    but if you do believe in god and you are wrong so what you will hardly know about it will you and at least you have lived a good life doing good things not much wrong with that is there

    i know beyond any doubt in my mind that there is something after death by visitations and someone on fg had a vision of something belonging to someone that had died and there is no way she could of known that unless.....
    I have a real problem with this kind of thinking because of faith and belief based on fear. Fear of "What if I'm Wrong". Somehow that just does not seem logical to me. I am a non-believer and refuse to play the "What if I'm Wrong" game. To each his own however.

  4. #4
    jimbo
    Guest

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I have a real problem with this kind of thinking because of faith and belief based on fear. Fear of "What if I'm Wrong". Somehow that just does not seem logical to me. I am a non-believer and refuse to play the "What if I'm Wrong" game. To each his own however.

    jesus lives i tell you




  5. #5
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    12:52 PM

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    I am truly happy for you Jimbo.

  6. #6
    jimbo
    Guest

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I am truly happy for you Jimbo.

    thank you lon

  7. #7
    High Priestess of Cardis theia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,166
    Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    11:52 PM

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    I remember when I was about 18 I had an intellectual, spiritual crisis. I asked myself the question "What if I'm wrong?" about my religious beliefs. I put this under philosophy because, with faith, there is no chance of solid, irrefutable proof and it wasn't about whether or not I should just go with my intuition. It was about what it would mean to me, intellectually, if my entire concept of the world were false, whether I knew it or not.

    What would it mean to you, intellectually, if your entire concept of the world were false?

    It's something that's been going around in my mind for a while. For a moment or two it can seem liberating, alive and exciting...but, for the most part it terrifies me.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    12:52 PM

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    What would it mean to you, intellectually, if your entire concept of the world were false?

    It's something that's been going around in my mind for a while. For a moment or two it can seem liberating, alive and exciting...but, for the most part it terrifies me.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by concept of the world. Could you explain?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Odie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,118
    Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    06:52 PM

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    hmmmmmmmmmm if we don't believe in god, what will happen?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    12:52 PM

    Re: The Philosophy Of Faith

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmm if we don't believe in god, what will happen?
    If one believes that not believing in god will cause them everlasting pain and anguish, then their belief is founded primarily on fear, and that is wrong in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Swaminarayan Faith
    By celina12 in forum Eastern Religions
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
  2. Guiliani Mum About His Faith
    By RedGlitter in forum Presidential Elections & Campaigns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 09:23 PM
  3. What Faith are You? Quiz!
    By RedGlitter in forum General Religious Discussions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
  4. Faith in the President
    By spot in forum Presidential Elections & Campaigns
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 08:05 PM
  5. Faith and Knowledge
    By Tombstone in forum General Religious Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 06:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts