Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diane The Mechanic...

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    05:52 AM

Diane The Mechanic...

Did you know that the taillight has two bulbs in it... at least mine does.. or did? If I want to turn right it blinks. If I want to turn left it stays solid. Last time it did this the guy that does all my minor repairs explained that the bulb that flashes was just out. He replaced it and said the seat or something for it was old and either keep another bulb handy in case it ever went again or I could pay for a new unit back there... I bought a spare 1.79 bulb.

Over a year later it goes out again and I actually remembered I had a spare bulb. I opened the trunk and took the covering off the light... and there were the two bulbs.. so i swapped out one and nothing. No big deal, just replace that bulb and swap with the other one, right? Well, apparently you have to put these things in a little firmer then I did because when I went to pull it back out, I heard this little clink noise and there was no bulb in the socket anymore...

Oh well, just put the old one back in and have the car fella give me another replacement bulb tomorrow right? Clink

Today I have to go see my mechanic and have him figure out how to fish those two bulbs out from whereever they are hidding inside the light thingy..(neither i nor the littleone can see them anywhere!)

I love cars...
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    04:52 AM

Re: Diane The Mechanic...

Sometimes its those little things that get the best of you. Dont go to your mechanic. See it through. Napa sells a neat tool. Its an extendable thin rod with a magnet on the end so when you drop a screw in a tight place you can fish it out. Its only a few dollars.
    The bulb has a metal end so you can do the same.
    When you retrieve it put the bulb in firmly then twist right.
    You can do it !
    Get some fuses while your there.
    And a little green tree, or go wild and get a blue one.
    And some wax.
    And an engine puller, and a hydraulic car jack on wheels and jack stands.
    Might as well get wheel chocks and a socket set, and wrenches and some vice grips and.............
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    06:52 AM

Unfortunately D, it can be a little tricky replacing the bulbs. Those bulbs have little tangs on their base that fits into the socket. The socket has spring loaded "contacts", that the bulb must push against with some force, and then the bulb must be "twisted" till it snaps into place. At that point, the bulb will slightly retract, and lock in the locking detent of the socket. If you can't see the lost bulbs, the unit may have to be taken apart. Good Luck, hope your guy can easily fix it for you!!!
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

I have a new car and the tail lights no longer have individual bulbs. Its one unit with a bunch of little LED lights, so if mine goes out I will have to replace the entire light assembly.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    02:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Patty View Post
    I have a new car and the tail lights no longer have individual bulbs. Its one unit with a bunch of little LED lights, so if mine goes out I will have to replace the entire light assembly.
    that's the auto industry anything to make it more complicated and$$$

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

He's really a sweetheart.. "I told you I'd do that for you, didn't I?" to which I replied "Yes dear" -so he laughed and is gonna see if he can snag them when I'm on my way back from lunch... when he's in between cars. He figures if he can't then he'll just throw another new one in there and we'll wait and see if these guys pop up in the future...
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    He's really a sweetheart.. "I told you I'd do that for you, didn't I?" to which I replied "Yes dear" -so he laughed and is gonna see if he can snag them when I'm on my way back from lunch... when he's in between cars. He figures if he can't then he'll just throw another new one in there and we'll wait and see if these guys pop up in the future...
    is he hot??

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny104 View Post
    is he hot??

He's very cute and very nice. unfortunately, he's played with my cars far to long for me to upset the balance of nature by considering having him play with me...

+ Reply to Thread