Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Down With The Dalai Lama

anomaly
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    11:13 AM

Down With The Dalai Lama

I read an article today with that title.
    link

I found the article because I recently had a rant about the Dalai Lama and wanted to see what other critics exist.

I was greatly affected, in a negative way, when the big L said he wanted to rule Tibet but have China deal with all the inconvenience of owning and defending the land. Wishy washy, irresponsible, ....

Then I got to wondering what this Lama has added to the wisdom of Buddhism since his time here on Earth. He is supposed to be the embodiment of compassion but has he really suffered, himself? Was he not pampered and trained to be the Dalai Lama? He hobnobs with movie stars, advertises for computer companies and the poor man can't take it. He's threatening to retire. What the **** is that all about?

Favourite line from the article: "The Dalai Lama has effectively been turned into a cartoon good guy."

I haven't read anything this Dalai Lama has said that couldn't have been quoted from any other Buddhist literature. He is well read but is he enlightened?

Banned
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    06:13 PM

Re: Down With The Dalai Lama

He came over here recently for an audience with Pope St Brown of England and his loyal subjects.
    There was a live show of him being asked some questions by leading jobsworths over here, so exciting, their names escape me, but Spot will know. Anyway he had to have a translator and after the first hour, Mr Oscar and i fell asleep in the chairs and missed evrything he said.
    So he does have his uses as in cure for insomnia

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    07:13 PM

Sounds like Britain to me. The Prime Minister does all the ruling while the Queen does all the owning and defending.

Banned
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    06:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by OpenMind View Post
    Sounds like Britain to me. The Prime Minister does all the ruling while the Queen does all the owning and defending.
    Spot on.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    07:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Spot on.
    He must have set himself 'invisible' cos he's not on the Who's Online list.

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:13 PM

The Dalai Lama is not chosen, he is found. The current Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of the previous Dalai Lama. He was born two years after his last incarnation ended. Senior Tibetan monks recieve information during meditation which helps them track down the new Dalai Lama. They have a secret set of criteria which they use to determine whether the child they have tracked down is the Dalai Lama. Although, Familiarity with the possessions of the previous Dalai Lama is considered the main sign of the reincarnation. The search for the reincarnation typically requires a few years.

Perhaps theres a flaw in their secret criteria, perhaps they got the wrong guy and this Dalai Lama just wants to have some fun.
    I AM AWESOME MAN

anomaly
    Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    11:13 AM

He's like a claymation dude who was trained to ask a question in response to a question and can spout back passages from previously written Buddhist literature.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Look would you rather sit on top of a mountain all day or ride around with Richard Gere in his Mercedes and have lunch at Spago's ?
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

The world is a colossal **** fest

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (CNN) -- South Africa has refused the Dalai Lama a visa to attend an international peace conference in Johannesburg this week, a presidential spokesman said.

The Dalai Lama fled China in 1959 after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

The Tibetan spiritual leader and Nobel Laureate did not receive a visa because it was not in South Africa's interest for him to attend, said Thabo Masebe.
    South Africa thinks that, if the Dalai Lama attended the conference, the focus would shift away from the 2010 World Cup -- the global soccer championship it will host next year.
    "We cannot allow focus to shift to China and Tibet," Masebe said, adding that South Africa has gained much from its trading relationship with China.
    The Dalai Lama's fellow laureate, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, said he would boycott the event.
    Former president F.W. De Klerk, another laureate, backed Tutu, saying in a statement that he would also not participate in the conference if the Dalai Lama remained excluded.
    De Klerk said that the decision to refuse the visa made a "mockery" of the peace conference.
    "The decision to exclude the Dalai Lama is irreconcilable with key principles on which our society is based including the principles of accountability, openness and responsiveness and the rights to freedom of expression and free political activity," he said.
    "South Africa is a sovereign constitutional democracy and should not allow other countries to dictate to it regarding who it should, and should not admit to its territory - regardless of the power and influence of the country."
    A representative of the Dalai Lama said he was not surprised by the decision. The Tibetan government in exile thinks that China has pressured many countries to refuse a visit by the Dalai Lama, according to Chhime Chhoekyapa, an aide in Dharamsala, India.
    The Dalai Lama fled China in 1959 after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.
    The peace conference was billed as an opportunity to showcase South Africa's role as a human-rights champion ahead of its hosting of soccer's World Cup next year.
    It was to bring together Noble Laureates and top soccer officials. In addition to Tutu and De Klerk, laureates Nelson Mandela and Martti Ahtisaar, Sepp Blatter, president of soccer's international governing body, and actress Charlize Theron were invited to attend. The event had the blessing of the Nobel Committee.

Local Date
    12-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:13 AM

Register to remove this ad.

I am new to FG and have just read these posts.

Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering and brings negative consequences. None of you seem to have met the Dalai Lama, but all of you are willing to take a swipe at an incredible Being. Yes, I have met H.H. Dalai Lama several times and I have stayed in his (deceased) mother's house for some months. He is remarkable and has brought the Dharma to the west by fleeing Tibet and now stands as the representative that China likes to attack as he does all he can to help the Tibetan people still in brutal rule in Tibet.

How small minded it is to comment about a car and Richard Gere?! The Dalai Lama is way beyond any ordinary person, of that I have no doubt, but then again, so was Jesus and look what was done to him, in ignorance!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast