Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Today's DOW

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 PM

    Today's DOW

    As of this posting the DOW is down 373 points and it's anticipated by some that it will continue it's downward spiral as indicators suggest a recession deeper than originally imagined. Things look pretty normal on the streets of mid America, with giant SUV's going about their daily trips to Starbuck's and the Mall for indications that every thing is OK and we'll all be fine.
    Imported grapes of the seedless variety, both red and green have hit the produce departments big time. This is surely a indication that trade agreements are still in play and all is well with agricultural imports. Tomatoes however, seemed to be outrageously priced and where the hell do all those bananas come from?

  2. #2
    Senior Member QUINNSCOMMENTARY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    916
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    12:51 AM

    Re: Today's DOW

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    As of this posting the DOW is down 373 points and it's anticipated by some that it will continue it's downward spiral as indicators suggest a recession deeper than originally imagined. Things look pretty normal on the streets of mid America, with giant SUV's going about their daily trips to Starbuck's and the Mall for indications that every thing is OK and we'll all be fine.
    Imported grapes of the seedless variety, both red and green have hit the produce departments big time. This is surely a indication that trade agreements are still in play and all is well with agricultural imports. Tomatoes however, seemed to be outrageously priced and where the hell do all those bananas come from?
    I have come to the conclusion that the stock market is an irrational gambling hall.

    I agree with your observations.

    For the most part we are talking ourselves into a bigger crisis. Sure there are pockets of real problems, but for the great majority of Americans it should be business as usual. I was in a Mall in North Jersey last Saturday, the place was crowded like on a holiday and while one might conclude people were just looking, the fact is that the vast majority of people had more than one package and many from upscale stores like Brooks Brothers, Nordstroms and the like. And this mall is not in a high rent district and half of the shoppers were minorities.

    As cynical as this may sound I am coming to believe that we are being set up for a mind set that will blindly accept more government involvement in all areas of our lives and for higher taxes that will now be seen as justified...and no I am not some right wing nutcase.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

    "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

    Quinnscommentary


    Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty.

    Quinnscommentary Blog

  3. #3
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    36,848
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 AM

    Re: Today's DOW

    So surprise me Quinn, how much difference will there be on the street if the national unemployed total increases by, say two million over the winter?

    http://www.blogmybrain.com/stock_app...ent/n00/00ue/a has the history. At the start of the Bush years it was around 6 million, it's currently around 8 million. Imagine it at 10 million for me.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  4. #4
    Senior Member Galbally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,813
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 AM

    Re: Today's DOW

    No, don't be fooled, this is a very real situation, and its going to get a lot more real a lot quicker than you realize. Like climate change, this isn't something dreamed up by these dastardly liberals who are constantly scheming to take away your bill of rights and replace it with the Soviet Constitution.

    By the way, where do these "liberals" hang out, because all your politicians are fairly right wing, as is the media, as is the judiciary, as is the population, even the ones who think they are lefties. I can't wait to see who these real liberal guys are, they are better at hiding than Osama (or is that Obama).

    Its funny because all of this has happened on the watch of one of the most unilaterialist, reactionary, anti-welfare, pro-corporate, pro-big money, pro-gun, pro-wall street, pro-war administrations in recent US history, so where do the liberal conspiracies fit in? Do you think that Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, and Paul Wolfowitz are closet communist party functionaries? Unlikely sir, to say the least.

    What you are watching in the US and European economies at the moment are cars whose tanks are empty but is coasting in neutral due to momentum. In the next month or two, that car is going to coast to a halt (if your lucky), or the power steering will fail and you will go over that 600 foot cliff on your right (we all better hope its number one and not number two).
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

    Le Rochefoucauld.

    "A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

    My dad 1986.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 PM

    Re: Today's DOW

    Quote Originally Posted by Galbally View Post
    No, don't be fooled, this is a very real situation, and its going to get a lot more real a lot quicker than you realize. Like climate change, this isn't something dreamed up by these dastardly liberals who are constantly scheming to take away your bill of rights and replace it with the Soviet Constitution.

    By the way, where do these "liberals" hang out, because all your politicians are fairly right wing, as is the media, as is the judiciary, as is the population, even the ones who think they are lefties. I can't wait to see who these real liberal guys are, they are better at hiding than Osama (or is that Obama).

    Its funny because all of this has happened on the watch of one of the most unilaterialist, reactionary, anti-welfare, pro-corporate, pro-big money, pro-gun, pro-wall street, pro-war administrations in recent US history, so where do the liberal conspiracies fit in? Do you think that Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, and Paul Wolfowitz are closet communist party functionaries? Unlikely sir, to say the least.

    What you are watching in the US and European economies at the moment are cars whose tanks are empty but is coasting in neutral due to momentum. In the next month or two, that car is going to coast to a halt (if your lucky), or the power steering will fail and you will go over that 600 foot cliff on your right (we all better hope its number one and not number two).
    Left Wing and right Wing don't really tell the story. In the U.S. it is acknowledged that the Media is quite LEFT OF CENTER (most weekly magazine publications, newspapers and the major new channels). The courts? Depends on the jurisdiction. Check out the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (San Francisco), they drive the rightists crazy with their decisions.
    Politicians------there wishy washy and reflect the sentiment of their district as long as it does not conflict with their favorite lobbyists. Left and Right have entirely different meanings here compared to the rest of the world.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 PM

    Re: Today's DOW

    I think that Spot will win the DOW prediction readily and the big prize that goes with it. 350,000 shares of ENRON stock.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    36,848
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 AM

    Re: Today's DOW

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Left and Right have entirely different meanings here compared to the rest of the world.
    You should have that printed at the top of the US customs declaration form, then every visitor will see it before they arrive. There must actually be a fraction of the USA which espouses socialism though. What would you call them? You seem to have run out of spectrum. Ralph Nader's as close to socialism as any American I've read, for example.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  8. #8
    Scrat
    Guest

    Re: Today's DOW

    What you are watching in the US and European economies at the moment are cars whose tanks are empty but is coasting in neutral due to momentum. In the next month or two, that car is going to coast to a halt (if your lucky), or the power steering will fail and you will go over that 600 foot cliff on your right (we all better hope its number one and not number two).
    I agree. I can see things slowly changing, I see people taking any job they can get, I see people buying things that are not of the highest quality and there are stores having specials on things the normally wouldn't, often times simply to get rid of stock that is just sitting because it will rot if they don't.

    This Christmas will be telling. I don't think it will be good.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildhorses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    653
    Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time
    08:51 PM

    Re: Today's DOW

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    As of this posting the DOW is down 373 points and it's anticipated by some that it will continue it's downward spiral as indicators suggest a recession deeper than originally imagined. Things look pretty normal on the streets of mid America, with giant SUV's going about their daily trips to Starbuck's and the Mall for indications that every thing is OK and we'll all be fine.
    Imported grapes of the seedless variety, both red and green have hit the produce departments big time. This is surely a indication that trade agreements are still in play and all is well with agricultural imports. Tomatoes however, seemed to be outrageously priced and where the hell do all those bananas come from?
    Most of the bananas come from Equador.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wildhorses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    653
    Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time
    08:51 PM

    Re: Today's DOW

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    I agree. I can see things slowly changing, I see people taking any job they can get, I see people buying things that are not of the highest quality and there are stores having specials on things the normally wouldn't, often times simply to get rid of stock that is just sitting because it will rot if they don't.

    This Christmas will be telling. I don't think it will be good.
    I think that people are doing their Christmas shopping before the Christmas season.....to save money ....before the prices go up. That is what I have done. I got some really good deals. And other shoppers were buying Christmas type items. Like red or green sweaters....matching scarf/gloves/hat...stuff like that. Some were buying those gift packages at the Body Shop. I hope I am wrong...because if this ends up being a poor Xmas shopping season...it will freak people out. Especially after what has been happening with the stock market lately.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Today's DOW
    By Lon in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
  2. Today's Posts
    By AussiePam in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM
  3. Today's Breakfast
    By Lon in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 08:51 AM
  4. Today's Weather UK
    By Bothwell in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM
  5. Today's Birthdays
    By Peg in forum Members' News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts