Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Death

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    08:54 PM

Re: Death

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasy View Post
    My mum was on life support before she died. I often wonder when she truely died - when she went.
    I always remember a member of the nursing staff telling me that the last thing to go is a persons hearing. Firstly how do they know that? Secondly I hope they were wrong, cos her last memories would have been hearing me beg her to stay, and that she was not allowed to leave us. Selfish big time!

Well in my case the hearing has been steadily going for the past 10 years. I wear aids in both ears.

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Well in my case the hearing has been steadily going for the past 10 years. I wear aids in both ears.
    Actually thats a good point! As we age our eye sight and hearing deteriote, so where did this hearing is the last to go come from

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    08:54 PM

Actually thats a good point! As we age our eye sight and hearing deteriote, so where did this hearing is the last to go come from
    My hearing loss is probably due to two things. I was in the Air Force and around jet engines before ear covers became mandatory, secondly, I have always liked my music loud, particularly percussion.

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    02:54 AM

i was gonna start a thread tonight about how we never know when a day is gonna be our last, but i think i will put it here!

my cousins ex wife, they have 3 small children, they are divorced and she is remarried. it was her 40th birthday yesterday, she got a birthday gift, a sky diving lesson.

her husband went too, he jumped and all was fine, she was connected to the instructor, they jumped together, there chute didn't open, both of them were killed!

i know that sky diving is a dangerous undertaking but whenever i hear of anything like this, it makes me think about how we never know when our time is gonna be up!

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    02:54 AM

Even tho I have Christian beliefs, sometimes death scares me. I watched my dad get eaten by cancer for 8 years...I'm afraid that will happen to me. I want to be able to watch my youngest (16) graduate both high school and college....I want to see her married. I'm afraid that my grandsons won't remember me. I'm afraid of getting alzheimers and not remembering my family...or having a mind that is still sharp, but my body won't work. I guess it's more fear of the way of dying and what I'll miss out on.

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Grimm subject isn't it? Life and death are a part of the cycle and yet many have this abject fear of death. Some of us do not really fear death as much as the process, pain, lingering on, burden on others. Animals will die, not very many of old age. Some will die in test labs, some will be killed by hunters. Most will be killed and eaten by other animals as they grow old and weaken. Aren't you glad that's not the case with we human beings.
    Hunters will kill animals and this disturbs many, I don't know why. Empathy for fuzzy critters maybe.
    At 74 I should kick off way before most on this FG site, and yet statistically that will not be the case, as there will be some on FG that will precede me in death. Disturbing? Then there are those that fear death because of the HEREAFTER and whether or not they will be admitted to some Magical Kingdom.
    What thoughts do you have on death and dying or is this a subject you fear to discuss?
    Lon, our sense of self-awareness that we are mortal and will die at some time in the future makes us unique in the animal world -- although I should add a caveat there because some research indicates that chimpanzees and elephants have at least some awareness of death. Both animals grieve when family members die: elephants even linger over the bones of long-dead relatives. Combine that with the evidence that higher mammals share a full range of emotions with us, such as happiness, sadness, anger, fear, love, and hate, and it's a lot harder to make a clear line of demarcation between us and the animal world -- so I'm not going to object to hunting, as long as they know what they can shoot straight and do not cause unnecessary pain and suffering.

You are correct that in nature, animals do not have the luxury of living in comfort and dying of natural causes; most prey and predator animals are going to succumb to a violent death or die from starvation or disease. But just because that's the law of the jungle in nature, it is no excuse for us to cause unnecessary animal suffering because we have the capability to prevent it.

Looking at the big picture, the realization that our world is full of suffering and death, has been the primary motivation to create religions and try to wish the Problem of Evil away -- either by imagining a supernatural world up above the stars, where everything is perfect and never dies, or the other option is usually apocalyptic religions that try to square the circle of a perfect, loving creator and the present state of the world by telling us that it is only a temporary aberration; and a new, perfect, immortal world will soon replace it.

Death is a hard enough concept to accept; but now that cosmologists are discovering that our universe itself is mortal, and many astrobiologists are beginning to suspect that the conditions necessary to support complex intelligent lifeforms is extremely rare -- if we are a fluke, and the universe was not created with us in mind, and will carry on with or without us, that's another blow to our sense of purpose and place in the cosmos! And that's where some people might find themselves wishing they could believe in things they no longer find to be plausible!

Personally, what bothers me about death, has already been mentioned in other comments -- hitting middle-age and having to watch some of the people I have been closest to become sick and die. And I am hoping that I do not face a future of suffering from some form of sickness or another! Death itself isn't as scary! I didn't miss this place before I was born, so I don't think I will miss it after I am gone.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    11:54 PM

I don't fear what will happen to me when I die. I figure that one of two things are likely, either there will be nothing, or there will be something better.

If there IS a bad place for evil people and I end up there, then that means that I got the difference between good and evil completely wrong and deserve to be there

Unless of course pissing a few people off counts.

If this is true then I will see you there ....lol. So will everyone on the planet.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    11:54 PM

My mum was on life support before she died. I often wonder when she truely died - when she went.
    I always remember a member of the nursing staff telling me that the last thing to go is a persons hearing. Firstly how do they know that? Secondly I hope they were wrong, cos her last memories would have been hearing me beg her to stay, and that she was not allowed to leave us. Selfish big time!
    Better to hear someone by your side....than to die alone. I am sure she appreciated your presence and sentiment very much.

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    01:54 AM

My impending death is what keeps me motivated now.
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    02-20-2020
    Local Time
    01:54 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    I lived with and helped my grand parents the last few years of their life , my grandpa 's mind never 'aged' he could remember this morning or any certain day 60 years ago ,he passed at 89. it was really very sad to watch his anger and fustration at knowing how to do and what to do but having a 89 year old hard worked body that just refused to let him 'get up and go do. One eveing he was feeling 'yucky' and my uncle called 911 against grandpa wishes, the call was made at 10pm my grandpa drew his last breath 11 minutes beforw the EMT's got there, His greatest 'fear' was to die in a hospital
    my grandma on the other hand,her mind and body aged equally and that was sad to watch this wonderful woman that had raised me all my life need assistance to do some of the simple basic everyday things, she passed 3 years after my grandpa she was 83 .That is my 'fear' either one of these condictions , as hard on the family as it is to watch what the years do to our loved ones it doublely hard on our loved ones that are living with 'what the years are doing to them.
    My dad on the other hand was affixeated by carbon gas while working on a truck without proper ventaletion , no he did not plan to or want to go ,it was an un fore seen accident , my daughter was killed instantly in an car wreck , she died as quick as a human being can be die, haveing been a by stander and seeing these different ways a human can go I would like to go the way my daughter did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast