+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: toxic irish sausage

jimbo

toxic irish sausage

no i'm not on about gallbladders love wand

somehow oil has got into the irish pork farming industry

Contaminated Irish pork recall: 'very high levels' of toxic substance

"Very high levels" of a toxic substance led to the recall of Ireland's pork products, the country's Europe Minister has disclosed.

By Chris Irvine
    Last Updated: 1:03PM GMT 07 Dec 2008

The recall of contaminated pork could cripple Ireland's 400 pig farmers Photo: Claire Lim

The "precautionary" recall came after tests showed products from nine Irish farms contained harmful dioxins at up to 200 times the safe limits.
    Dick Roche said: "This is something we're very concerned with because, of course, we pride ourselves on having one of the best, highest quality food production processes in the world, certainly in Europe. This is a shock to the system."
    Mr Roche told Sky News: "The reality is that very high levels of dioxins were found in a number of samples that had been taken. It has been established that comes from a contaminated food process for the animals, so we've had to literally shut that entire process down."
    He said that one sample had turned up in France and it was important to deal with the situation "robustly".
    The Irish government ordered the recall of pig meat products from September 1, with bacon, ham, sausages, white pudding and pizzas with ham toppings withdrawn.
    The feed tainted with a toxic substance came from one farm and the source has now been contained, according to government and industry officials.
    Ten farms had been using the tainted feed, affected with dioxins, environmental contaminants that can have serious health effects, including causing cancers, if exposed over a long-term period.
    The FSAI said the levels in the pork were "in the region of about 80-200 times above the safe limits."
    A spokesman for the UK's Food Standards Agency had earlier said consumers were not at "significant risk" from the pork products.
    The spokesman said: "People shouldn't be too concerned. It's not an immediate toxic risk. With dioxins it's a problem when you have exposure at high levels over a long period of time. We are only talking about a problem since September."
    He said the FSA was waiting for information from Irish authorities about the UK end destinations of Irish pork products and would then "identify if any specific action is required to protect UK consumers".
    It is feared the recall could cripple Ireland's 400 pig farmers in the run up to Christmas.
    Defra said they were monitoring the situation and keeping in close contact with the FSA.
    Padraig Walshe, president of the Irish Farmers' Association (Ifa), described the move as "an absolute disaster" at an important time of the year for the pig sector.
    He stressed less than 10 per cent of the products currently for sale on the market had been processed since September 1.
    Labour Party spokesman on agriculture and food, Sean Sherlock, said the government's priority had to be consumers but action had to be taken to "save the Christmas pork and ham market".
    He said: "The announcement amounts to a threat to the overall viability of our food industry as great as, if not greater than, the outbreaks of BSE and of foot and mouth.
    "The authorities must give a full and frank account of the full extent of the risk to human health."
    The FSA was due to meet later to assess if Northern Ireland's pork products were affected.
    Joe McDonald from the Ulster Farmers' Union said clear guidance was needed.
    "This is a very, very important time of the year for pig farmers and it is very important the public are confident about the produce they are buying," he said.
    "We want to make sure that this situation is dealt with very vigorously, and that there is clear guidance given to the public and that we deal with this a quickly as possible so that in the coming days we can restore normality."
    About 7,000 people are employed in Ireland's pig industry, including about 1,200 on farms.
    The Irish Association of Pig meat Processors said the industry had an annual turnover of 500 million euros (£431 million).
    Ireland provides around 8 per cent of the UK pig meat market. Tesco said it does not import fresh pork from Ireland.
    A spokeswoman said: "We do not believe it is contained in any other products but we are checking as a matter of urgency.
    "If any product is found to contain Irish pork, we will, of course, take immediate action to remove it from sale."

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    02:03 AM

Re: toxic irish sausage

Well cant be into reading all that Winkle but tell you this.......I had a sausage sandwich earlier and it was bleedin handsome
    Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.

Banned
    Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    01:03 AM

I have to admit that the first thought that came into mind when i heard 'Toxic Irish sausage' was galbally

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

My sausage and bacon is as pure as the driven snow. I am totally organic.

No, seriously though, its a bit of a disaster alright. Well, they will just have to recall everything and sort it out, whatever has happened, its not good enough

They are trying to work out how the hell this happened, but I am afraid its not going to be good for a lot of Irish Farmers. I guess it all goes back to industrial farming, and the problems that seem to arise from that. Oh well, its not like our economy is in ribbons already, our banks are broke, or our government are running around like headless chickens is it?

Incidently, I love sausages.
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I have to admit that the first thought that came into mind when i heard 'Toxic Irish sausage' was galbally
    Oscar....do you want to share this fing you have about the geezer who lives at number 10

GOD REST YOU MERRY GMC, LET NOTHING YOU DISMAY
    FOR GORDON BROWN'S YOUR SAVIOUR, TO WORSHIP ON THIS DAY
    TO SAVE YOURSELF FROM GETTING SKINT, WHICH OTHERWISE YOU MAY,
    OH TIDINGS OF DARLING AND BROWN, DARLING AND BROWN,
    OH TIDINGS OF DARLING AND BROWN
    Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Galbally View Post
    My sausage and bacon is as pure as the driven snow. I am totally organic.

No, seriously though, its a bit of a disaster alright. Well, they will just have to recall everything and sort it out, whatever has happened, its not good enough

They are trying to work out how the hell this happened, but I am afraid its not going to be good for a lot of Irish Farmers. I guess it all goes back to industrial farming, and the problems that seem to arise from that. Oh well, its not like our economy is in ribbons already, our banks are broke, or our government are running around like headless chickens is it?

Incidently, I love sausages.
    Organic.....if only we could buy just that and indeed a happy pig makes better meat anyway apart from being safer.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

said in the paper today that apparently stale loaves have been mulched together with the plastic wrapper still on them for use as food for the pigs. Its the plastic thats causing the toxins. they still havent got a list of exactly what to avoid but are suggesting we check labels for irish souced pork,, even on pizzas? anything that could have pork meat in or on.

FOC THREAD PART1
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kazalala View Post
    said in the paper today that apparently stale loaves have been mulched together with the plastic wrapper still on them for use as food for the pigs. Its the plastic thats causing the toxins. they still havent got a list of exactly what to avoid but are suggesting we check labels for irish souced pork,, even on pizzas? anything that could have pork meat in or on.
    Well I didnt check the sausages I had as most of what I eat according to facts is going to kill me anyway fgs

Banned
    Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Carolly View Post
    Oscar....do you want to share this fing you have about the geezer who lives at number 10

No carolly, i'm never telling anyone

Although Mr Oscar has become used to his face on my screensaver and the 6 ft poster of him in the lounge

Banned
    Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolly View Post

THE GEEZER WHO LIVE'S AT NO 10

I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast