Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme conditions of Australia

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    12:47 PM

Extreme conditions of Australia

At the moment Queensland now has more land under water than above, and now the crocs have moved in. Victoria is about to face it's most nightmarish day since Ash Wednesday tommorow, and everyone is on alert. The South Australian government has opened emergency morgues to handle the death rates due to the extreme heatwave they are having.

At the moment Australia is facing a really crap time. To all the other Australians on the board: Keep a check on your elderly neighbours and if possible organise some kind of fan or airconditioning . If the power goes out, have some ice prepared for some kind of sustenance.

Put wet towels over the doors or windows where the breeze is likely to come through. Drink lots of water, and for gods sake don't go to the beach if your state is having extreme UV conditions. Now the hosing down of children and sprinklers is illegal, fill a bath up and put some toys in it for the little ones.

If you are able to get a little wading pool don't forget to sit in it yourself.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:47 PM

Re: Extreme conditions of Australia

not looking forward to today and the weekend lets hope we dont lose power, besides the heat the humidity is awful

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Mildura will be 46c tomorrow, we got to 48 last week for a short period .

Anyway here are the official warnings

Victoria

Heatwave return puts Victoria in its worst danger ever | Herald Sun

South Australia

Heatwave set to return | The Australian

New south Wales

Hot, windy weekend has NSW crews on edge

Queensland

Australian sugar farmers wait for floods to recede | Reuters

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kayleneaussie View Post
    not looking forward to today and the weekend lets hope we dont lose power, besides the heat the humidity is awful
    We're only getting 30 something today, I don't envy your humidty though. tomorrow is the bad one one for us. last week arsenists were targetting power lines ...barstards.

Local Date
    08-20-2019
    Local Time
    08:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Mildura will be 46c tomorrow, we got to 48 last week for a short period .

Anyway here are the official warnings

Victoria

Heatwave return puts Victoria in its worst danger ever | Herald Sun

South Australia

Heatwave set to return | The Australian

New south Wales

Hot, windy weekend has NSW crews on edge

Queensland

Australian sugar farmers wait for floods to recede | Reuters
    OMG................how are you people surviving there in the heat? Here in Winnipeg if it reaches 30 C we are sick.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:47 AM

Scientists predicted several years ago, that the Australian continent would be the first country to be severely and obviously effected by climate change, due to its already fragile and unique ecosystem and the nature of it already harsh and extreme climate.

In the same way that a miner's canary was an indicator that something is wrong, its predicted that one of the earliest signs that climate change is entering a new and deadlier phase would be the destabililzation of the Australian continent's climate and its ecosystem. The basic assessment being that if current trends continue, then some parts of Australia that are currently habitable may not be habitable in 50 years time.

Saying that, what has happened to Australia in recent years may be simply the result of normal fluctuations in climate and the always unpredictable weather; I sincerely hope this is the case. However, I think that the world should be looking carefully at what is happening in Australia and whether a pattern is developing there, as it may be an indicator of things to come for the rest of us.

In any case, you guys look after yourself, I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad over there at present.
    "We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Nah 30 something is normal ...it's the 40 plus that get ya. Power goes, so therefore public transport, airconditioning, traffic lights etc.

Australia is running out of water as well after an 8 year long drought. It's a tinder box out there at the moment.

Up at Boolarra they ran out of water to fight the fires .........when I say we're in the s'hit? I mean it. We dont' have enough water available to fight any fires in my area. God help anyone in the more remote areas.

The specific problem for my State is the drought we've had. Usually there is moisture in the larger trees but the drought has even dried them out.

There was a B.O.M spokesman on the radio yesterday and she said she was shaking during their briefing because this is going to be bad. If the meteorologists are shaking we're in deep. Maybe we'll get over tomorrow but we've got all of Feburary and March to get through yet.

Local Date
    08-20-2019
    Local Time
    10:47 PM

Our news here in the States showed film of your flooding. They said you needed to watch out for snakes as well as gators. That's a triple whammy you have to contend with. My heart goes out to all of you.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"
    - William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1

Local Date
    08-20-2019
    Local Time
    09:47 PM

We constantly hear on the news just how bad it is there and I keep thinking of all my Aussie friends here and the ones that have lost their lives in this severe heat-wave.

I pray for everyone that this will end soon, I know its easier said than done to say try and keep cool, for some do not have air conditioning or even fans, not that fans would help, as they now only blow hot air around.

-and for all the animals that are losing their lives do to lack of water.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))) ))))

take care of yourselves the best way you know how!
    Life is just to short for drama.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbally View Post
    Saying that, what has happened to Australia in recent years may be simply the result of normal fluctuations in climate and the always unpredictable weather; I sincerely hope this is the case. However, I think that the world should be looking carefully at what is happening in Australia and whether a pattern is developing there, as it may be an indicator of things to come for the rest of us.

In any case, you guys look after yourself, I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad over there at present.

I think your last paragraph is more the truth . Australia's climate is severe but it is cyclic. Every twenty or so years we have this Bush fire situation and the drought as it stands happened at the turn of the last century also. .......problem is we forget. Then someone gets out their grandfathers weather records from a century and half ago and it all makes sense.

We're ready and every one knows (and hopefully) has their fire plan ready . My children have their "fire" bag packed and if i'm called away they are to go to the boat ramp and stay there until someone comes to collect them. They're pretty switched on but both their parents are going to be busy.......good time to understand self resilience. My children didn't experience Ash wednesday so they are going in green ...they wont' be afterwards if the **** hits the fan . But I suppose it's like those who live in tornadoe areas, your children have to learn sometime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast