Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obama was welcomed today in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada!

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    06:57 PM

Obama was welcomed today in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada!

On the news tonight, Ottawa had thousands come out and brave the cold to get a glimpse of Obama, this was his first official trip.

Also seen was Air Force One landing in Ottawa, what a site to see!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 19, 2009 03:54 PM
    Comments on this story (1)
    Sue Bailey
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA – A flash of smile and a wave through a window were enough to electrify Barack Obama fans as they lined slush-covered streets to watch the U.S. president's motorcade speed by.

That fleeting brush with high-voltage charisma Thursday left schoolgirls screaming and moved strangers to hug one another.

"He waved at us!" four teenaged girls squealed in unison after the president's armoured limousine turned a corner near Parliament Hill under the close watch of a hovering police chopper.

The teens said their parents allowed them the day off school to witness the first African-American U.S. commander-in-chief making his first foreign visit. They were among hundreds of supporters – many waited for more than two hours – who stood bundled against a damp cold that was just over freezing.

"We love Obama!"

Even game-faced police officers got caught up in the rare moment, including one who posed for a snapshot after the line of bullet-proof black vehicles had passed.

"My son will like a photo," he said.

It was an unforgettable day for Carrie Kristal of Ottawa. She and her husband Henry took their one-year-old niece, Ines, to a corner along the Rideau Canal where they hoped Obama's motorcade would pass. They waited with about 50 other people as the flashing lights and 50-car parade approached.

For a split-second they had a clear view of Obama himself, she said.

"You could very distinctly tell it was the president. He was on our side and he waved at our group. There was just such delight. People who didn't know each other were hugging each other."

Kristal began watching Obama's campaign more than a year ago as it first began to build steam.

"His whole campaign for election was on hope. We see so much here of politicians who want to divide and conquer. There's so much cynicism. And this man was all about hope. He inspired the whole world.

"I'll be telling my one-year-old niece that she got to wave at the president and he waved back. She's a good waver."

The crowd vibe along the motorcade route was one of excitement and easy rapport as strangers swapped stories of why and how far they came.

Marie Schofield and her friend Dagmar Weinert caught a bus at 4 a.m. for the five-hour trip from Kitchener, Ont.

"I think this is special," Schofield said. "It's unique, it's once in a lifetime."

Colin Schultz, 22, who's studying physical science and philosophy at University of Guelph, thinks Canada could use a shot of Obama-style politics.

"It's different from what we've got here. I think if a character with that sort of charisma came into the light in Canadian politics, people would just eat it up. They would just love it.

"You can see it in the way he ran his campaign. He brings a different approach – more about getting people involved, getting people involved to help out themselves. ...

"You can see that he's a different kind of person," Schultz said. "He seems a lot more honest."

Banned
    Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    11:57 PM

Re: Obama was welcomed today in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada!

Congratualtions canada :d:d

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

They had a marvelous day together and spoke on so many issues.

Obama expects Canada to become even closer in neighbours in a few years than they are now!

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    07:57 PM

Thank you so much Odie...it's good to hear positive events about my country and Canada

I love Canada, but unfortunately haven't travelled enough in your country. I've only been to Montreal and Quebec because they're nearer to Noo Joisey than other parts...one day ~sigh~

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Ellen View Post
    Thank you so much Odie...it's good to hear positive events about my country and Canada

I love Canada, but unfortunately haven't travelled enough in your country. I've only been to Montreal and Quebec because they're nearer to Noo Joisey than other parts...one day ~sigh~
    -always positive thoughts here Kathy, our two countries have helped each other out for ages....and will continue to be best neighbors.

You could tell they had a warm welcoming meeting for the first time, and as said, Obama is muchly welcomed here.

I strongly believe, the reason why other countries have never liked some of the Presidents....is because they are jealous of our two, being so close.

more shocked that our Canadians here have not posted, as everyone saw this on tv. yesterday......all day.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    04:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    -always positive thoughts here Kathy, our two countries have helped each other out for ages....and will continue to be best neighbors.

You could tell they had a warm welcoming meeting for the first time, and as said, Obama is muchly welcomed here.

I strongly believe, the reason why other countries have never liked some of the Presidents....is because they are jealous of our two, being so close.

more shocked that our Canadians here have not posted, as everyone saw this on tv. yesterday......all day.

It is good news isn't it. I hope the 2 leaders can keep up a good raport hammer out some of the issues they talked about.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    It is good news isn't it. I hope the 2 leaders can keep up a good raport hammer out some of the issues they talked about.
    It was awesome!

+ Reply to Thread