+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing a little research....

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    04:16 AM

Doing a little research....

...and I thought this would be a good place to get some around-the-world opinions.

What are your opinions on the elderly? How do you believe society views them? Do you believe we live in a youth-oriented world? Do you believe the elderly have fallen on the social ladder? And, if so, how much does this bother you?
    It is better to have your mind opened by wonder
    than closed by belief.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    08:16 AM

Re: Doing a little research....

Quote Originally Posted by laneybug View Post
    ...and I thought this would be a good place to get some around-the-world opinions.

What are your opinions on the elderly? How do you believe society views them? Do you believe we live in a youth-oriented world? Do you believe the elderly have fallen on the social ladder? And, if so, how much does this bother you?
    Here in Britain, the elderly are treated appalling in my opinion. I get so angry about it. They have fought wars, worked all their lives, paid their taxes, contributed to their country and now our govenment seems youth orientated. Elderly on state pensions can barely pay their heating bills yet youths in criminal detenton centres go on trips to France.

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    06:16 PM

I was with my family over easter.
    I had a great time.
    I just sat & looked at my elderly parents,I felt very sad as they are starting to show their age.

My Dad started work when he was 14yrs old.
    He paid taxes till he retired at 70.

They are on a pension,my Dad gets a carers pension of $55 extra a week to look after my Mum.
    Big deal.

Our parents are lucky as they have children who put in to get them special treats & the little extras in life.
    They don't expect it,it is our way of thanking them for all they have done for us over the years.
    I do wonder how the pensioners who have no family,or whose families have abandoned them get on .

I am not sure how I would get on if I had to live on a pesion.
    Maybe I should try it for a month & see what happens,I probably wouldn't last a week.
    It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    01:16 AM

Society views the elderly as a bother and have been pushed them aside.

Society has become so high-tec the elderly are very confused with using their Bank cash card.

Does this bother me? yes, how so?

Society has isolated the elderly - confined them - limited them and that makes the elderly very dependent on family members & others.

It's sad really - since we will all be there eventually - how does society change/turn this around to where all
    Elderly are respected ...?

Patsy

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:16 AM

I work as a home help mainly with elderly people.
    Some of their views are quite surprising not what you would expect from white haired old ladies, many of them have lovely stories from their youth which are still very relevant today.
    Thier treatment varies the social pension and care system in this country is quite good.There is even a sort of old peoples union that helps them get what they need and warns of con men problems in health car ect ect.

Its families that gets me one lady worked two jobs,put her son through collage and uni so he could become a doctor, he lives 90km away thats a 40 minute drive.
    How often does he visit? Christmas and birthday if she is lucky.
    Then she runs about making sure the house is tip top buys the cakes he likes ect ect and the sod stays an hour if she's lucky.

We cannot put the blame on society and walk away WE are society and until WE as individuals start treating people better we cannot expect it of anyone else, so no tutting in the market today when the old person in front cant use her bank card.

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    01:16 AM

I didn't say I was frustrated with the elderly Bank Card or not..?

I stated the sad affair regarding the elderly in the High-Tec world - so please do not TURN MY WORDS AROUND.
    as I hope your statement wasn't a individual jab..

Since the question was HOW SOCIETY VIEWED - grouped/in general as I see around my community, which is 55 or older community.

I also have worked extensively with the elderly and still do.

alot of Elderly are sweet up front and Exorcist to others, perhaps the real person.??

Do the elderly have lovely stories - of course they do - that wasn't the survey.
    as far as family visitng or feeling obligated or who's taking advantage of who? - that's another thread. Very interesting too, I've seen all sides..

Interesting - In Hawaii the Elderly are Highly Respected..
    Patsy

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:16 AM

My comment was a general one although your vicious reply highlights a problem in general.

Lack of manners lack of patience and lack of understanding for others.

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    11:46 AM

Quote Originally Posted by laneybug View Post
    In "our" society, we hugely undervalue age. A youth-oriented world is an unstable one. Old people's social position has undoubtably fallen - in some instances, outrageously. This bothers me a great deal, because: a) of the inhumanity, b) one day I'll be old.

Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    09:16 AM

Unless they are loaded with cash, the elderly are not treated very well on society. I think part of the problem is that although medicine has done wonders in extending the length of life, we are somewhat failing in providing a quality of life to go with it.
    There are just too many people in old age homes hanging onto the hope of a visit. If you are elderly and healthy and able to continue with an independent life then all should be OK, but once the health starts to go it can be a real problem and society pushes them aside.
    I think that it has always been a youth oriented world. I don’t think that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, but we need to figure out how to manage the increasing average life span.

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    03:16 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    We cannot put the blame on society and walk away WE are society and until WE as individuals start treating people better we cannot expect it of anyone else,

Well said, Victoria. The buck stops here.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast