+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: using dripping in cooking

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:26 PM

using dripping in cooking

If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use? Googling led me to beef dripping, duck dripping etc but no mention of just combining it all into one dish to save. I know I used to have dripping sandwhiches as a child which were delish. But never questioned how to do this myself.

I'm interested because I've been reading that cutting out too much fat in the diet is not the best thing for mental health and conentration and that there ARE benefits in some of the old fashioned fats used. Mind you, it's contentious; one person will shun coconut oil and site heart problems - another will swear by its fatty fullness. Then there's the Innuit people who eat Seal and blubber and I think are quite healthy.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    08:26 AM

Re: using dripping in cooking

Quote Originally Posted by sharedfastlane View Post
    If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use? Googling led me to beef dripping, duck dripping etc but no mention of just combining it all into one dish to save. I know I used to have dripping sandwhiches as a child which were delish. But never questioned how to do this myself.

I'm interested because I've been reading that cutting out too much fat in the diet is not the best thing for mental health and conentration and that there ARE benefits in some of the old fashioned fats used. Mind you, it's contentious; one person will shun coconut oil and site heart problems - another will swear by its fatty fullness. Then there's the Innuit people who eat Seal and blubber and I think are quite healthy.
    I don't see why not, it will just add more wonderful flavors.

LIFE IS SHORT...LIVE HARD Nomad's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    07:26 AM

I dont know much about it but what one people eat may make another people very sick because its foreign to the bodies.
    I AM AWESOME MAN

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    08:26 AM

My mom used meat drippings to make gravy. Homemade gravy beats the canned stuff by miles. Too bad you carrot munching vegans. You don't know what your missing. And you are gonna die anyway.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

You don't 'make up ' dripping, it just happens.... it is what is left in the bottom of the roasting tray when the meat is cooked.
    The idea is to pour off and save the fat, in an old chipped cup, normally without a handle , then use the meaty residue left behind to make your gravy with the water you cooked your fresh veg in.

A lot of meat has been bred or trimmed to be low in fat these days, to be healthy.
    There are only two drippings for me, Beef and Pork,
    Pork dripping is unrefined Lard, you spread it thinly on white bread with a bit of jelly scooped from the bottom of the chipped cup and then lightly salted....my mouth is watering already.
    Beef Dripping is coarser, more rugged, than its pork equivalent, applied to white bread the same as pork, most unhealthy but delicious.

They used to cook chips in beef dripping in the old days, until the health police came along and spoiled it for everyone.....now it is bland Vegetable oil everywhere....and fat kids.....everywhere.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I dont know much about it but what one people eat may make another people very sick because its foreign to the bodies.
    Yes, my ancestors didn't eat seal!

Um. I meant "fix", prepare, for made uo.

Thanx all. I'm gonna do it. Mixey mixey.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

My dad used to make us eat dripping sandwiches in the 60s, i hated em. Chucked out of the school bus window, hid em under the mattress, shoved em down the loo, he was a twat he was. Even made me drink castor oil every night.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    05:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Barman View Post
    My dad used to make us eat dripping sandwiches in the 60s, i hated em. Chucked out of the school bus window, hid em under the mattress, shoved em down the loo, he was a twat he was. Even made me drink castor oil every night.

yuuuuuuuk i bet your were a regular guy though

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by farmer giles View Post
    yuuuuuuuk i bet your were a regular guy though

Yep, i regularly through them out of the bus window.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:56 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use?
    All you've gor to worry about are the relative strengths of the flavours, and (possibly) who's eatin'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast