+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Election

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    04:01 AM

Election

Well Mr Blur has announced our general election date , May 5th. Of course all the TV stations are on to it. BBC Newsnight has adopted a student house in Nottingham with 6 students in residence.

4 out of the six are not voting so they say because "they are not interested" in politics. So they can shut up when university fees go up, the price of beer is increased, tax, interest rates etc. When will people learn that you must exercise your right to vote. IMO you can even go to the pollling booth and spoil the paper or write "none of the above" because that at least tells me you were not just bloody lazy.

I think the Aussie system where as I understand it you have to vote or pay a fine is excellent. many thousands if not millions have given their lives for people all over the world to be able to exercise their rights, I would like the UK population to show that was not in vain.
    "I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"

Local Date
    03-29-2020
    Local Time
    08:01 PM

Re: Election

I 100% agree. If you don't vote you can't have a say. Simple.

Doctor Who

Thumbs down Re: Election

Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell
    I think the Aussie system where as I understand it you have to vote or pay a fine is excellent. many thousands if not millions have given their lives for people all over the world to be able to exercise their rights, I would like the UK population to show that was not in vain.

I must say that I don't like this idea. There seems to be nothing democratic about forcing people to vote. Ambivalence is still a legitimate standpoint. Also, to be honest the whole lot of them are a corrupt shower, and I don't see why I should hike down to the local polling booth just to write "none of the above" on a piece of paper. That's a waste of good trees. It's not about being lazy, if I thought something was worth voting for I'd be there at opening time to vote for it. Sadly, that's not the case though.

ArnoldLayne

My good Doctor you can't be on the electoral register surely
    How did you swing that

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

That is fine Doc, just don't moan about anything in your life that is brought about by politicians.
    "I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

posted by bothwell
    I think the Aussie system where as I understand it you have to vote or pay a fine is excellent. many thousands if not millions have given their lives for people all over the world to be able to exercise their rights, I would like the UK population to show that was not in vain
    I basically agree with you except about the compulsion bit. Biggest problem is I think i feeling that it makes no difference, our electiral system is heaviky weighted in favour of the bigger parties, even with his hige majirity most people did not vote labour just as most did not support Thatcher.

The tories can't complain too mush as they gerrymander with the best of them.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    05:01 AM

I was talking with my mum about the election today & asked her who she'd vote for & she said "No point voting because that smarmy little bugger'll get in again" (does'nt mix her feelings my old ma!)
    Thinking about it though i have to agree, he does appear to be the best of a bad bunch.

People of Britain seem so apathetic, all they do is moan on about who is in power, but do sod all when they get the chance.
    MY dad has been staunch Labour all his life, but flat out refuses to vote anymore as he feels it would be hypocracy, as he calls the "New labour" Conservative in drag!!.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

posted by abbey
    People of Britain seem so apathetic, all they do is moan on about who is in power, but do sod all when they get the chance.
    MY dad has been staunch Labour all his life, but flat out refuses to vote anymore as he feels it would be hypocracy, as he calls the "New labour" Conservative in drag!!

I wouldn't say apathetic so much as slow to anger and disposed to put up with a lot. I think i like your dad. Mind you a lot of old labour are or were a bunch of self seeking well you get my drift. be interesting to see what happens to godron Brown, his constituency is in the labour heartland.

ArnoldLayne

Hey GMC

what will happen in Scotland do you think?

Not a happy hunting ground for Tories. Does it mean a clean up for the SNP

(Jeez did you hear Mr Connery....pleeeze)

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    i was thinking of voting for the first time this year, was going to last year but there was a muddle with my voting card

except im not sure i know enough to make a educated choice..... gonna have to swot up on the news over the next few weeks......

at the mo my decision will simply be based upon what my parents used to do when i was younger.....
    life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! im engaged!! i have a fiance!!

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast