Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    06:59 PM

This just about sums it up...

Keeping Their Eggs in Their Backyard Nests
    By WILLIAM NEUMAN
    Published: August 3, 2009

As Americans struggle through a dismal recession, many are trying to safeguard themselves from what they fear will be even worse times ahead. They eat out less often. They take vacations closer to home. They put off buying new cars.

And some raise chickens. Lloyd Romriell, a married father of four in Annis, Idaho, recently received seven grown chickens and a coop from a relative. The hens lay a total of about two dozen eggs a week.
    “It’s because times are tough. You never know what’s going to happen,” Mr. Romriell said. Although he manages a feed store, he had not kept chickens since he was a child. “If you lose your job tomorrow, you’ve still got food.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/bu...s.html?_r=1&em

“I see it as a sense of security,” Ms. Smith said. “If they don’t have the dollars that week to get the meat they need at the grocery store, they can go kill a chicken.”
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Re: This just about sums it up...

If I hadn't married such a city girl I'd have a larger spread with a cow & a few chickens. Ideally, I'd live "green" & not have any hardwire connections. *sigh* still, I got the better end of the deal.

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Re: This just about sums it up...

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    If I hadn't married such a city girl I'd have a larger spread with a cow & a few chickens. Ideally, I'd live "green" & not have any hardwire connections. *sigh* still, I got the better end of the deal.

Sounds a little like Hubby and me. I'm also a city girl and Hubby enjoys the outdoors and animals. In fact, we do have a few chickens in our yard. I have learned alot from him. I think I got the better end of the deal.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

+ Reply to Thread