Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:15 AM

Re: Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    here you go Spot... another typical yob culture Incident. Was this 'Just a prank'?

Thugs leave burnt girl, two, writhing in agony as they attack ambulance sent to help her | Mail Online

You should try getting out in the real world.
    Sad

Does this happen often?

Banned
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:15 AM

Re: Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    Sad

Does this happen often?
    Yes, It does but apparently not in Spot's world. Ambulence crews being attacked or ambushed is a regular occurence in this country.

A few weeks ago, I myself saw a yob throw a missile at a police car as it was arriving on the scene. I have myself seen public refuse to move their cars to get out of the way for police or ambulance. As Gill said, a selfish society we now have. Of course, when these morons need an ambulance or police, it's a different story all together.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Re: Fatal Cornwall blaze blamed on banger yobs

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Go on then, you can play the "name me a period and a place when you'd not have thought it was" game too.
    Can I play?
    I would say at least in the Victorian era, people were more worried about what other people would think!
    ~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    11:15 AM

I think it is down to media and marketing.

“Me” sells

The “I” culture is one that comes out of marketing that promotes the individuals to only think about what is good for them, what they need, and what they want. It sells products, and we are bombarded constantly by the media.

However, as much as we think this is generally true, I know many people, including teenagers and early twenties who are actively involved in their communities, charities and have not bought into to this.

In fact, many of them are angry us for the world that we have created for them.

If we do not agree with the ‘me’ society, then why do we continue to give them everything they ask for?

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:15 AM

I have myself seen public refuse to move their cars to get out of the way for police or ambulance.
    That's horribly nauseating, actually.

Banned
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    That's horribly nauseating, actually.
    The worst I ever witnessed was In the close that is next to my lane. Although the close is a dead end, we have to use It as It's the only access by car to our house. Being a dead end, you can not turn round once in It so many come Into our lane and turn round outside our house but we've stopped them now. At 3pm, masses of parents arrive in 4 X 4's and People Carriers to fetch one small child from the school in the close. For years, these selfish Idiots have parked across people's drive-ways, on the kerbs which force children to step into the road to get round them, and even turn their cars around in folks private drive-ways and paths to turn round to exit. Infact we recently had a meeting with the school and residents over the seriousness of this problem. They do this dispite the council laying on a car park at the top of the school for them.
    One afternoon, we came out of our house into the close and It was the usual bedlam of cars on kerbs etc in the close. A very old man who had been sick regually had, had a stroke. Parents cars were parked up on kerbs etc and we could not get through anyway. The ambulance had enough problems getting Into the close anyway due to selfish parents not moving their cars. They finally managed to get through and had to park in the middle of the road because they could not park next to the old mans house due to parents cars. They got the old boy on a stretcher and I have never seen anything as bad as those Paramedics trying to sqeeze that stretcher through parked cars and no-body moved out of the way for them. Even when they finally got the old boy in the ambulance, other parents were trying to sqeeze into the close so the ambulance could not reverse out again. I was so appalled that I got out the car and called them all a bunch of selfish bastards and one woman asked me what my problem was!!!! Perhaps Spot would like to come and witness this one day? By the way... the old boy died later in Hospital.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

In the bumph I have from the 'Restorative Justice Programme', It states that two thirds of violent crime are carried out by under 18's. You need to get In the real world Spot.
    What I've been doing in my fragmentary free moments is looking back to see how people in the past felt, as far as halcyon days goes. It's one thing to give an understanding, it's another to remember why one understands it.

May I deal firstly with "Mods, Rockers, Skinheads, hells Angels etc. Most violence was carried out between equally violent gangs and the football terraces", though? Turn it upside down and pretend for a moment that today's perception were true of then, and "Mods, Rockers, Skinheads, hells Angels etc" were today's reality. Would you not be bemoaning the good old days for different reasons? Howling at the dreadful gang-based hooligans now making England such a dangerous place? The style of antisocial behaviour changes from generation to generation, the criticism from the older generations are constant and unchanging regardless.

The truth is that, however far back I go, the same complaint about youth culture and the same solutions as you're offering here come out time and again.

Here, this is from an 1837 "Third report from the Commissioners on Criminal Law. Juvenile offenders": "Much advantage also might be gained from giving the police a more distinct authority than they now possess, to disperse or apprehend as vagrants, boys wandering in companies in the streets, or loitering around theatres or other places of public amusement, without any ostensible employment". I could quote reams from the reports between then and now, all focused on coercion and disgust at the state of modern youth.

As for the specific period you and Gill isolated as "a period and a place when you'd not have thought it was such a selfish, thoughtless society", Gill's teens through to your 1970s, here's a graph from a 1960 Home Office Report of the Committee on Children and Young Persons, and the commentary:

The story that these figures tell makes it difficult to believe that most of the problems which have arisen since 1938 have been entirely due to the disruptions of the war: for example, to evacuation, air raids, the break up of family life and the absence of the father; and that once the generation affected had grown up things would improve again. It is true that the generation with the largest rise is still the one likely to have been most affected by the war, but the war alone can hardly account for the sudden large rise at the older age, nor for that in the fourteen to seventeen age group. Fifteen years after the end of the war, far from improving, the situation is more serious than it has ever been. In view of this it is not possible any longer to feel sure that in spite of the temporary set back of the war years our methods of dealing with the problems of children in trouble (whether actually delinquent or not) are generally sound and sufficient and are necessarily developing along the right lines. We have therefore felt it necessary to reconsider our approach to the whole question.

[...] Parents vary in their capacity to live up to this ideal and children also vary in the degree to which they are a problem to their parents. Some families suffer misfortune, or are the victims of difficult circumstances, others are just inadequate. Whatever the cause there are children who seem incapable of behaving properly or of conforming to recognised standards of behaviour, and some parents who appear to give up the difficult task of controlling them. Few parents are wholly selfish and unconcerned, though some adopt a "couldn't care less" attitude in self defence. It is the duty of the community to provide through its social and welfare services the advice and support which such parents and children need ; to build up their capacity for responsibility, and to enable them to fulfil their proper role.
    What changes, from decade to decade, is who constitutes the Alf Garnetts of the day. They're always there. These days they even have the Internet to moan on.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Banned
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

What changes, from decade to decade, is who constitutes the Alf Garnetts of the day. They're always there. These days they even have the Internet to moan on.
    And that is the exact assinine comment that deters my even attempting to Indulge in Intelligent debate with you.
    I'd get a more Positive response from my Goldfish who appears to have a 30 second attention span.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

And that is the exact assinine comment that deters my even attempting to Indulge in Intelligent debate with you.
    I'd get a more Positive response from my Goldfish who appears to have a 30 second attention span.
    Would you like me to post some Alf Garnett clips to make my point even more explicitly? I speak as I find.

Here, this is an alternative as a compromise - read from "Each adult generation" down to Box 2.2 at Criminology: a sociological introduction - Google Books
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Banned
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Would you like me to post some Alf Garnett clips to make my point even more explicitly? I speak as I find.

Here, this is an alternative as a compromise - read from "Each adult generation" down to Box 2.2 at Criminology: a sociological introduction - Google Books
    Your over anaylising the thread. Gill and I have posted that our own experiences in today seem to show that the public are more selfish and Inconsiderate to other people that say, pre 1970's. I do not equate that with a Garnett rant who by the way, I am a great fan of.
    If you would like to start a new thread comparing violent crime stats pre 1970 to present day, I would be Interested however, here we are talking about the decline in morals, manners and consideration for other people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast