+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saving Is Something You Should Do Every Day

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    01:57 PM

Re: Saving Is Something You Should Do Every Day

There is an old guideline from the book the A Barber which says to always pay yourself first.

Basically the idea is to pay yourself 10% of your net monthly income into savings before you start paying off your A as so forth. If you do not pay yourself, you will find that you will always have reasons to have nothing left at the end of the month.

These days this can be done by a direct monthly debit out of your main bank account into a savings account.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:57 AM

I am debit free and do own only one credit card. I use the card only when I know I can pay the full balance off when the bill arrives. I own a pre-paid cell phone and add minutes if needed. I have separate savings accounts set up for my animals and for my household expenses. I also do what mikeinie has suggested and "pay myself" at the end of each month. Times are tough but I believe that if you manage your money properly and don't over indulge, you can still save money.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
    Then I hope you plan to pay for EVERYTHING you buy in full up front - including a house and car. Otherwise you will likely pay higher rates due to a poorer credit score. PS I used to feel the same way ("debt free!") but have since found that, as stupid and illogical as it is, having and using a credit card just every once in awhile gives you a better credit rating than never using one.

FYI almost all cell plans now have it so you are charged minutes regardless of whether you instigated the call or not. You're also charged time when checking voicemail. Ridiculous, but there it is. Point being you probably aren't saving anything.

Unless you're growing them yourself, I'd think that would be a lot more expensive than having scented cleaners or candles or some such-?

Vinegar does like 100 things, it always amazes me

It's certainly cheaper but fans don't take the humidity out of the air - not an issue if you live in say AZ, but very much so if you live in say the South!

No offense, but gold is volatile and over the long haul a very poor investment to count on solely esp if you are saving up for retirement - and money under the pillow loses it's value every day.

Again no offense meant, just something to think about.......

Yep I've heard all these things before. ..................then the crash happened and I wasn't affected.. so I think it depends on wht your saving for .
    I'm working towards being self sufficient, and yes the flowers are from my own garden and the bush. Great way of defuming your house of nasty smells is grab a couple of gum leaves off a tree. put them in a pot and boil them ......house smells strongly of Eculyptus in no time. And yes i payed for my car up front and when I sell my other house I'll have enough to buy some land in the hills and and with the 'new home owners grant' build my own home.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:57 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Credit cards can be an advantage if used properly.Spending versus the amount you earn should be organize well.Personally,i make sure i spend less than what i earn.My earnings less the expenses and bills then what's left is divided into three parts.An emergency fund,stock market for investment and bank savings.
    <Advert Removed by Moderator>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2