+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: St Johns Wort/Anti-Depressants

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    09:18 PM

St Johns Wort/Anti-Depressants

Does anyone have any experience of taking SJW? I am having a lot of trouble in my marriage currently and have not been coping too well so, upon a friend's advice, started to take 340mg per day (tablet form) but I've not seen any benefit yet. Will it take longer than this to start feeling a bit more 'up' from taking this?

I don't know what to expect but I don't know if I should go the next step and ask for anti-depressants from the docs. Will these have a bigger, quicker effect? I am loathe to start taking A/Ds but I can't cope much longer. My head is battered. Will the SJW kick in soon or am I expecting too much as it is a herbal remedy.

Any advice please.

Thank you.
    FGC x

Ruewen

Re: St Johns Wort/Anti-Depressants

HI,
    Sorry to hear of the difficult time you are going through. Before you seek a doctor have you tried to talk to someone outside the marriage? A good friend or even a stranger to help? I always like to deal with any problems with communication instead of coating it with meds. Of course sometimes its chemical and then their is nothing you can do but take meds.
    But you did state clearly it was a marital problem.

St johns has known to work with some ppl but not all. Sometimes meditation is also a nice alternative during "trying" times. Hope you feel better soon.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    12:18 AM

Hey FGC...
    Gotta agree with Ruewen here.. before you head for the pharmaceuticals, hit up a counselor or two.. talk to someone you trust... pastor.. dear friend..etc.. or even talk to the cause of your marital problems.. could be you guys aren't communicating on the same wave length.. Drugs ain't always the anwser.. (damn.. did I say that.. and aging deadhead... quick someone pass me the bong.. bwhahahahaha).. no serious side.. try alternatives before ya hit the hard stuff.. and even then I would look into holistic forms before chemical choices...
    good luck..
    be well....
    Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    11:18 PM

I've taken St Johns Wort on occasion but its been many years. I didn't take it consistently, just every once in awhile when I felt depressed. I was too proud to actually go in and talk to someone. I'm also not sure if it was actually SJW that was actually having any effect, or my mood just lifted and I felt better. At any rate, here's a pretty good info page about it:

http://www.hypericum.com/

At any rate, I would talk to someone in the field, especially if your still depressed. (I probably should have) People who do get great results from the meds they are prescribed, or so I'm told.

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    09:18 PM

Hi There

Thank you for all your replies.

Yes, I'm currently undergoing individual counselling and my husband & I are also attending Relate so, yes, I am communicating and talking my problems through but they are just so huge, I'm struggling desperately. I've also got a 2 year old son whom I'm not as patient with as I should be and I hate myself for that. I'm finding myself snapping at him for things he would normally do that I would laugh at, it must be very confusing for him. If anti-depressants can calm me down and get me on more of an even keel and give me more patience with my beautiful boy, surely it's got to be worth it.

The suggestion of meditation could help - do they "teach" you to be calm? At the moment, I'm screaming endlessly inside and can't imagine being able to stop my heart racing enough to try & meditate.

Thanks for replying.

FGC
    x

Ruewen

Try this link
    http://www.learningmeditation.com/

Start a journal up and write down all those crazy emotions.
    "When we direct our thoughts properly, we can control our emotions..."

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    01:18 AM

I have taken SJW as a mood stabilizer and it worked great. It took a couple of weeks for it to kick in, but it worked great. I ran into a problem when I started taking medication for ADHD, nothing serious, just very wierd dreams. Might I suggest a book that is helping me and my wife? The book is called, "Getting the Love you Want," by Dr. Harville Hendrix. The book is great and will really open your eyes to your relationship with your husband. Another thing I would like to suggest is something our marrige counselor told my wife. My wife is having the same problem with getting very upset with our three year old daughter. The counselor suggested that she tell our daughter that, "Mommy is very cranky right now and needs a time out." You might try this. It seems to be working for my wife. I hope everything works out for you and your family in the end and I hope you feel better.
    Semper Fidelis,
    Joe D. Myers
    JoeDMyers25@yahoo.com

anomaly
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    10:18 PM

The best natural mood stabilizer that I know of is a really good vitamin B complex. I know SJW was the craze but I have had huge success with vitamin Bs...specifically to increase my patience and reduce temper tantrums when I was moving and to lift depression a number of years ago. If the depression/moodiness has a cause then the best treatment is to deal with the cause. But vitamin B is good in the meantime.

Ruewen

Multi vitties in general are so good for us and yet how many really take them!

I blame the drug companies :P They would rather treat an illness then work on preventive awareness! No money in healthy people i guess!

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    11:18 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FGChatter
    Does anyone have any experience of taking SJW? I am having a lot of trouble in my marriage currently and have not been coping too well so, upon a friend's advice, started to take 340mg per day (tablet form) but I've not seen any benefit yet. Will it take longer than this to start feeling a bit more 'up' from taking this?

I don't know what to expect but I don't know if I should go the next step and ask for anti-depressants from the docs. Will these have a bigger, quicker effect? I am loathe to start taking A/Ds but I can't cope much longer. My head is battered. Will the SJW kick in soon or am I expecting too much as it is a herbal remedy.

Any advice please.

Thank you.
    FGC x

I have tried both, st johns wort first but it was not enough, (darn marital issues were my cause as well) then went to the dr and she put me onto extremely mild anti d's and for only 6 months she said. Well after things in my life leveled out, I went back after about 4 months and said get me off these now as I don't want to be dependant and it was a snap. And so worth the immediate aid they gave me
    As well my vitamines and iron were bumped up as I was suffering from anemia grossly and that made a huge difference. So as long as it is a short term fix go for it. the Anti d's are great.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast