Thread: Bill of Rights for Animals?

Hybrid View

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    04:05 PM

Question Bill of Rights for Animals?

Bill of Rights for Animals

1. All animals are born with an equal claim on life and the same rights to existence.

2. All animals are entitled to respect. Humanity as an animal species shall not arrogate to itself the right to exterminate or exploit other species. It is humanity's duty to use its knowledge for the welfare of animals. All animals have the right to the attention, care, and protection of humanity.

3. No animals shall be ill-treated or be subject to cruel acts.

4. All wild animals have the right to liberty in their natural environment, whether land, air, or water, and should be allowed to procreate. Deprivation of freedom, even for educational purposes, is an infringement of this right.

5. Animals of species living traditionally in a human environment have the right to live and grow at the rhythm and under the conditions of life and freedom peculiar to their species. Any interference by humanity with this rhythm or these conditions for purposes of gain is an infringement of this right.

6. All companion animals have the right to complete their natural life span. Abandonment of an animal is a cruel and degrading act.

7. Animal experimentation involving physical or psychological suffering is incompatible with the rights of animals, whether it be for scientific, medical, commercial, or any other form of research. Replacement methods must be used and developed.

8. No animal shall be exploited for the amusement of humanity. Exhibitions and spectacles involving animals are incompatible with their dignity.

9. Any act involving the wanton killing of the animals is biocide, that is, a crime against life.

10. Any act involving the mass killing of wild animals is genocide, that is, a crime against the species. Pollution or destruction of the natural environment leads to genocide.

My Question: Do you agree or disagree with this Bill of Rights for Animals? Why, or why not?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    07:05 PM

Re: Bill of Rights for Animals?

This is an interesting thread, Jazzy, where do you come down on the question?

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    04:05 PM

As an animal lover this is a difficult question for me to answer. I agree with the Bill Of Rights for Animals but it brings up questions for me as well: What gives me the right to own an animal? Do I own an animal for selfish reasons? I own an Amazon parrot that I rescued. Did I really rescue her only to place her from a dirty cage to a clean one? I don't believe birds should be locked up in cages, they should be free to fly. I don't believe any animal should become "pets" as that's not what they were placed on earth for. As you can see, I'm having a hard time with this since most of my life I have devoted to rescuing and taking in abused animals. I know I have given them a loving home and provide to their every need but something deep inside just makes me wish they were free to be. I love my "zoo crew" and wouldn't give them up for anything but does that make what I'm doing right?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

It is indeed a very difficult subject to reconcile on many levels. I've often felt very much like you regarding pets, and there are many other thoughts that come to mind.

Good thread! Thought provoking!

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    05:05 PM

Lightbulb Re: Bill of Rights for Animals?

We should always take care of those who can't speak for themselves, or protect themselves it is our responsibility to do so.

I will admit I draw the line at some instects I have been know to kill a spider or 2.
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Premium Member
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    We should always take care of those who can't speak for themselves, or protect themselves it is our responsibility to do so.

I will admit I draw the line at some instects I have been know to kill a spider or 2.
    Yeah, I have several issues with the content of the "bill" itself as a whole and also in individual places.

If it goes too far, it doesn't go far enough - the balancing act of fairness.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    As an animal lover this is a difficult question for me to answer. I agree with the Bill Of Rights for Animals but it brings up questions for me as well: What gives me the right to own an animal? Do I own an animal for selfish reasons? I own an Amazon parrot that I rescued. Did I really rescue her only to place her from a dirty cage to a clean one? I don't believe birds should be locked up in cages, they should be free to fly. I don't believe any animal should become "pets" as that's not what they were placed on earth for. As you can see, I'm having a hard time with this since most of my life I have devoted to rescuing and taking in abused animals. I know I have given them a loving home and provide to their every need but something deep inside just makes me wish they were free to be. I love my "zoo crew" and wouldn't give them up for anything but does that make what I'm doing right?
    Wow... How did you rescue your parrot?

Do you really mean this?
    "I don't believe any animal should become "pets" as that's not what they were placed on earth for."
    Any Animal? Including cats and dogs?????

So they should be "Wild"?
    The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Premium Member
    Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

1. All animals are born with an equal claim on life and the same rights to existence.

2. All animals are entitled to respect. Humanity as an animal species shall not arrogate to itself the right to exterminate or exploit other species. It is humanity's duty to use its knowledge for the welfare of animals. All animals have the right to the attention, care, and protection of humanity.

4. All wild animals have the right to liberty in their natural environment, whether land, air, or water, and should be allowed to procreate. Deprivation of freedom, even for educational purposes, is an infringement of this right.

5. Animals of species living traditionally in a human environment have the right to live and grow at the rhythm and under the conditions of life and freedom peculiar to their species. Any interference by humanity with this rhythm or these conditions for purposes of gain is an infringement of this right.

6. All companion animals have the right to complete their natural life span. Abandonment of an animal is a cruel and degrading act.

7. Animal experimentation involving physical or psychological suffering is incompatible with the rights of animals, whether it be for scientific, medical, commercial, or any other form of research. Replacement methods must be used and developed.

8. No animal shall be exploited for the amusement of humanity. Exhibitions and spectacles involving animals are incompatible with their dignity.

9. Any act involving the wanton killing of the animals is biocide, that is, a crime against life.

10. Any act involving the mass killing of wild animals is genocide, that is, a crime against the species. Pollution or destruction of the natural environment leads to genocide.

My Question: Do you agree or disagree with this Bill of Rights for Animals? Why, or why not?
    One of the problems I have with this "bill" is the fact that its a bit contradictory and redundant in some places. For the purpose of this post I'll take #4 specifically.

It is incorrect to say that dogs today are the "natural" creatures they were before humans began breeding them. Believe me, you would not want nor would you survive a wild dog living in your home.

The Fact that we have these domestic animals living as they are is in fact a violation of rule #4. We have taken them out of their natural environment and even their natural state for our own self serving purposes. Every dog owner is violating rule #4.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Nice discussion.
    I have several thoughts about this.

1. We already have too many un-enforceable laws to deal with.

2. Until we can work out the same kind of thing for our fellow humans, the animals stand no chance.

3. I am heartily against wanton mistreatment of ANY life form.

4. How far do you take this? Do you allow mice and rats to infest your home?
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

I posted this on a rural board to see what the good ol' boys thought of it. You don't want to read the responses I got.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast