Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I get my dog to get used to his new house?

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    11:33 AM

How do I get my dog to get used to his new house?

I moved to a new house 4 days back and my puppy who is 4 months old seems to have trouble adjusting to it. He follows me around wherever I go; When I go out, he scratches at the door and whines and when left alone he chews all the stuff he can. Since I am working and staying alone, it is not possible for me to stay with him while he gets used to the house. I would like to train him to stay in the balcony of the house while I'm away at work. Can anyone help me about how I can get this done? Also, can anyone give me suggestions as to how I can stop him from chewing my things? Any suggestions you give me will be helpful.
    Thanks.
    [link removed]

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    07:33 PM

Re: How do I get my dog to get used to his new house?

I would definitely begin getting him used to the crate. However, your entire approach to the situation is what is going to make it or break it for you.

First, do not give in to him. If he whines, you can't go to him, pet him or even yell at him. Even negative attention is attention. Simply ignore the whining or get a spray bottle and correct him with that. By looking at him, talking to him, yelling at him, etc, you are essentially reinforcing the behavior. He needs to learn that whining does not get him any attention at all, negative or positive. If you go the spray bottle route, do not make eye contact and try not to look directly at him at all.

When you come and go, do not pay attention to him. Put him in the crate with a safe toy or treat (a Kong filled with frozen yoghurt or a tiny bit of peanut butter works GREAT!) and walk away. Again, don't look at him, talk to him, etc.. If you make a big deal about coming and going, so will he. If it's stressful for you to come and go, he will begin to feed off of that and it will increase the anxiety.

The biggest and most important thing is to not make a big deal out of the two of you being separated. Dogs are pack animals so it does take a lot of time for some to learn to be by themselves. Sometimes a radio playing in the background helps. At four months old, you can easily break this habit if you are consistent and dedicated to your training. If you let it progress, it is much, much harder to fix.

Another thing you can try, just to take the edge of during the initial stages of this is to add Chamomile tea to the dogs water. The chamomile tea is safe for dogs and does take the edge off of the anxiety without really drugging the dog like some vets might prescribe. You just brew a cup of it and mix it in with their water. It's just a relaxing herb, basically.

As for the chewing, crating will help when you are not home. For when you are home, a spray bottle or pet corrector will work well at stopping the pup from chewing. Once you correct the negative behaviour, give the dog something he is allowed to chew. The most important thing you can do is to keep things that you don't want chewed out of the puppies reach.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Excellent advice Spot! The whole trick is be consistant with the suggestions Spot gave you. Good luck and keep us updated please.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Sorry Spot but crates are an abhorant use and excuse for a bad dog owner who can not train their dogs.

The advice I would give is to buy a DAP ( Dog Appeasing Pheromone ). They are Inexpensive plug In's for your electrical sockets that slowly release Pheromome's that will calm the puppy.

I would also suggest taking some Item of your clothing Un-laundered and placing that on the balcony to re-assure him.

The toughest thing to work out Is If your Pup Is genuinely distressed or just pulling a stunt.
    When you leave the house, do not pet the puppy at all as It makes them worse. Just leave quietly and equally, do not make a fuss of the puppy when you come home, just walk in the house and Ignore him for a short while.
    Over the next few weeks, go through the process of leaving your house and returning many times. Although dogs live for the moment, they will remember If the last time you left the house, It was for 8 hours or so. Leave the house, making no fuss and return after 10 minutes with no fuss. Do this repeatedly and the Pup will then learn very quickly that you could be 10 minutes or 10 hours.
    When you come back Into the house, Ignore him totally If he Is making a fuss but give some praise and reward If he Is calm and quiet. I have used this method all my life and It does work.
    Let us know how It goes.

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Sorry Spot but crates are an abhorant use and excuse for a bad dog owner who can not train their dogs.
    John's a Texan. They break animals in Texas, it's all part of being manly.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

I have two Miniature Pinschers that were crate trained as suggested by the breeder. Here is a link for more information on crate training and may answer some questions as to why crate training works and may help you decide if you want to crate train your puppy:

About Dogs - Crate Training

The other alternative I would suggest is to contain the puppy to one area using a baby gate when you have to leave. Put plenty of chew toys and place a dog bed in that one area.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    John's a Texan. They break animals in Texas, it's all part of being manly.
    I do not have the dogs In my bedroom although the door Is always wide open. Rosie was approx 10 to 12 weeks old when she arrived at our home. Without a crate, she learnt within days that she was not to cross the line between the hall and the bedroom. Sometimes, she will sit outside the open door when I am In there, whinging, but never crossing that line... same with the other two. If they wanted to, they could walk right In.

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

It's a puppy it just wants to be in your company all the time. Stay with it as much as you can and have a place you can sent it to when you want peace-I work from home so I used to grab it by the scruff and put it in it's bed in the kitchen when it didn't settle. Now it knows to keep out my way when working and it also got used to the idea when there it was staying on it's own for a while. It also gives it somewhere to go if it wants peace. Why can't you just shut it on the balcony?

oscars right about not making a fuss when you leave just get it used to the routine. When I come in the dog sits and waits till I speak to it, it seems heartless but you need it interacting on your terms and adult dogs in a pack will ignore pups until they are ready as well.

It's probably also teething and will chew anything in sight it's not doing it just to be annoying or defiant so don't take it personally. Just remove anything you don't want chewed from the room if you are leaving it alone. Don't punish it for chewing unless you catch it actually in the act and then a firm no and a tap on the nose is all you need, same when it bites you say no and tap the nose-once or twice is all it takes. It's a dog so if you punish it after the event it won't know why it will just decide you are dangerous to go near. They do grow out of it it's just chewing furniture is more rewarding than a rubber toy if you are a dog. A dog chewing or not settling is not the problem it's how you choose to deal with it that is.

posted by oscar
    Actually I'm inclined to agree with you though my attitude is coloured by people who can't be bothered taking the dog a walk and lock it in a cage to prevent it wrecking the house. Why buy a big dog if taking it out for three or four hours a day is more walking than you can be bothered with?

Incidentally I can now leave my dog alone with a free run in the house all day if I need to and come back to no chewed furniture or piles of dog poo.

Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Just wanted to clarify when and why my dogs get crated. My dogs are ONLY crated when I have to leave the house. They, as a matter of fact, run to their crates as soon as they sense I'm leaving. I feel safe when I'm gone and don't have to worry that they might hurt themselves while I'm out. My dogs are both the size of cats and are also litter box trained. The only other time they are crated is at bed time. I work from home during the day and they have the run of the house but prefer to lay in their beds with me in my office. I also want to mention that my dogs have their own bedroom with a toy chest and a closet to store their sweaters, jackets and blankets. My dogs want for nothing and have not suffered from being crated. Is crating for every dog owner? No. It depends on how the owner wants to train their dog(s). I would also suggest puppy training classes if you don't have the time to properly train your dog(s). I also want to stress I NEVER use their crates as punishment.

May I ask what breed of puppy you have John?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    02:33 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Great advice, Spot! We've had a new Labradoodle for about 3 weeks now, We've been pretty much doing what you've written and the dog is doing great. This breed of dog learns quickly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast