+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Amputation

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:25 PM

Amputation

My poor sweetie has struggled with a blood clot in her leg for two years. She was airlifted to Denver seven times last year trying to fix it, but to no avail. Well, modern medicine has finally exhausted all its options and she had to make the decision yesterday to have her leg amputated.

Other than all the psychological comfort and good, old-fashioned love I can give her, I am at a loss to know what will be needed to take care of her when she returns home from the hospital. Has anyone here undergone this or knows someone who has?

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:25 PM

Re: Amputation

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    My poor sweetie has struggled with a blood clot in her leg for two years. She was airlifted to Denver seven times last year trying to fix it, but to no avail. Well, modern medicine has finally exhausted all its options and she had to make the decision yesterday to have her leg amputated.

Other than all the psychological comfort and good, old-fashioned love I can give her, I am at a loss to know what will be needed to take care of her when she returns home from the hospital. Has anyone here undergone this or knows someone who has?
    Oh Saint, I am so so sorry to hear this.

I really have no ideas, just to keep her warm and safe.
    Life is just to short for drama.

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time

Thanks Odie. I'm researching prosthetic feet right now. The dynamic ones look the best (Interestingly, it seems the military is the biggest buyer of these.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	feet04.gif
Views:	154
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	30927  

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time

I'm sure your love and support will mean alot to her.

I believe the most importants thing about a prosthetic device are comfort and manage-ability. Just have an honest discussion with her and her doctor. Physical therapy will no doubt be a must for her recovery and adaptation.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    05:25 AM

Saint, I'm so sorry to hear this awful news. My thoughts and good wishes are sent to you and your good lady.

In the UK there are several groups that help and give advice, comfort, practical help and guidance to amputees and their families. I'm sure you will find similar groups in your country if you do a bit of googling.

Somebody I know, who lives quite a way away from us, a diabetic, damaged his foot and he never really bothered to have it checked out properly. So inevitably, in time, he had to have his leg amputated below the knee. We knew nothing about this, as we had lost contact for about a year with him. I was so angry when I found out, partly with myself for not keeping in touch, and partly with him for not informing us of his plight. Peter lived alone, and he had to fend for himself, with failing eyesight due to his diabetes, and then the added problem of getting used to a prosthetic leg. By the time we found out about all this, he was very well used to his new leg, and he had very regular visits from a district nurse, and had organised a driver to drive him to the shops and into the countryside. If he had never told us about having a prosthetic leg, we would never have realised, as he was quite accomplished and it was very non-sus!

So don't be too down, your good lady will manage to cope, with your love and help. I'm sure she will be able to get used to a prosthetic leg, but it will take time and a lot of patience from everybody.

But please do check the internet about help you can get from these amputee groups, I'm sure they will surprise you with helpful stuff that you may not have thought of, yourself. They are also there to be a shoulder to cry on, if either of you find that things are getting on top of you. They will have gone through what you are going through, and can give you support.

All the very best to you and your good lady, and my thoughts are with you.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by along-for-the-ride View Post
    I'm sure your love and support will mean alot to her. Physical therapy will no doubt be a must for her recovery and adaptation.
    Thanks AFTR. What I'm most worried about is the psychological impact. I mean, with guys, if we lose a leg, we'd probably just get a peg leg, an eyepatch, and begin talking like a pirate. But with women it's different. It's a part of the whole body-image thing, you know?

The first thing she said to me was, "Will you still love me without my leg?" (Poor dear. If 14 years of illnes hasn't scared me off yet, I certainly wouldn't start now. )

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Thanks AFTR. What I'm most worried about is the psychological impact. I mean, with guys, if we lose a leg, we'd probably just get a peg leg, an eyepatch, and begin talking like a pirate. But with women it's different. It's a part of the whole body-image thing, you know?

The first thing she said to me was, "Will you still love me without my leg?" (Poor dear. If 14 years of illnes hasn't scared me off yet, I certainly wouldn't start now. )

Woman's emotions are much higher and once she comes home, that is when it will really hit.

I think she will need counseling and join a group.

Keeping her occupied would be the main thing, so she doesn't get depressed.

board games
    cards
    renting movies
    having friends/family over
    getting her out of the house.

when she is feeling stronger, then perhaps have her choose the proses-tics that make her feel the most comfortable, there is also help and guidance with this and they will come right to your home.
    Life is just to short for drama.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:25 AM

Oh Saint I am so sorry to hear this news.

Knowing that you're there to comfort, love and help her will mean the world to her.

They're doing wonders with prostetics now as you know.

Best wishes to you and family Saint. You have a long road in front of you.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    02:25 PM

I'm sending my very best wishes too, Saint!!!

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time
    08:25 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I agree that a support group is a good idea. Your sweetie is lucky to have you. Good luck to you both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast