Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Election overkill?

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    04:04 PM

Question Election overkill?

This applies to all readers in all countries at different times, but particularly to British readers at present. Next week is a general election yet despite the largest amount of time and money ever being spent on the campaign, it is predicted that fewer people than ever will bother to vote.

I am just opening this discussion up to ask WHY? Is it because people consider the 3 main political parties over here to be SO out of touch with public opinion (if one considers, for example, well-publicised opinion poll results on topics like EU unity, immigration. law and order, etc.)? Is it because of the worry about possible fraud with postal votes? Or because all 3 main parties seem so similar?

Voting is not compulsory in the UK but it`s hard to complain about the result of the election if you haven`t personally voted!

Flouncey

Re: Election overkill?

Because they all say one thing and do another...

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Strewth! In the last day, a Labour MP has defected to the Liberals and a Liberal councillor has defected to the Tories. No wonder the voting public are fed up with it all, if even their representatives can`t make up their own minds!

Personally, I wonder if UKIP is the only party worth voting for, as I understand that most of our laws are made by unelected bureaucrats in "Euro-land" now?!

Flouncey

I'm all for reducing bureaucracy but UKIP want us out of Europe completly, I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
    I more inclined to vote for the Greens as I just do not want to vote for any of the 3 'biggies'

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    03:04 PM

The labour MP in question has voted against Blair on some 50 occasions and is not even standing this time around. tories may suprise a few people yet. They understand that the elction is decided by less than 100,000 voters in key marginals and that is where they have concentrated their efforts. Expect a rise in the attacks on the trustworthyness of His Tonyness and quite right too. If I see much more of his open hand "trust me" gesturing accompanied by that trained pausing for effect after every key word speech I am reaching for the sick bucket.
    "I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Thanks for your views. Now somebody has just recommended to me a VERY interesting site to see how you SHOULD be voting if you vote according to your beliefs:

www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com[I][U]

Why not have a go at it?!

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    03:04 PM

How can anyone in this green and beautiful land not vote out the bastards that tell them they cant even fly their own flag because of all the foreign folk living here? I for one, have no problem whatsoever with the st. george cross. Why anyone else does, is beyond me.
    ~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

posted by raven
    How can anyone in this green and beautiful land not vote out the bastards that tell them they cant even fly their own flag because of all the foreign folk living here? I for one, have no problem whatsoever with the st. george cross. Why anyone else does, is beyond me.
    Things have improved you know, at least now most English people understand that the union jack is not the english flag. It usd to be really irritating seeing english fans waving the union jack at football matches instead of the english one.

Don't know where you live in the UK but you have some very strange ideas If you think people will accept that kind of crap who's telling them they can't fly the St Georges cross?

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Sorry to dominate, but just heard an interesting one I`d like to share with you: "If voting could make any difference at all, it would be made illegal!" !!!!!

pete5555

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by john8pies
    Strewth! In the last day, a Labour MP has defected to the Liberals and a Liberal councillor has defected to the Tories. No wonder the voting public are fed up with it all, if even their representatives can`t make up their own minds!

Personally, I wonder if UKIP is the only party worth voting for, as I understand that most of our laws are made by unelected bureaucrats in "Euro-land" now?!
    Good point! But the problem is with our election system that UKIP is not going to win! So if you live in a Labour/Conservative or a Conservative/Lib Dem seat and you vote for UKIP you will effectively help either of the two big pro euro parties. Until we get PR rather than first past the post, if you want a euro-sceptic party, you have to vote Conservative.

+ Reply to Thread