Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handicap Accessible Golf Courses

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time
    02:40 PM

Handicap Accessible Golf Courses

The 18 hole course that I play and belong to is like all other courses in the U.S. in that it requires each of the holes to be accessible for the handicapped player. Each course is required to have a special cart that a handicapped golfer can use ($10,000 cost of cart) and each tee area must be marked with a handicap sign showing where the cart can be taken to the tee. Needless to say, these facilities add greatly to the overall cost of building and maintaining a course. Checking this morning I was told that thus far, one individual has played three times in the past four years. Some how this seems crazy to me. Shouldn't the handicapped accept that there are some limitations on what they can do at the expense of others? My knees are getting worse as I age do to past Raquetball injuries and at some point I will probably have to give up golf, which I will do rather than expect special accommodations.
    Wheel Chair accessible doors at stores etc. are a different matter do to the amount of use.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    09:40 PM

Re: Handicap Accessible Golf Courses

I have mixed feelings on this. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am becoming more and more limited in what I can do. If I liked golf, and it comes to the point I'm in a wheelchair, I'd be thrilled to have something left to be able to do, that I love to do. On the other hand, I also understand the extra costs the other golfers would have because of a few. I think it should be up to the owner of a golf course if he/she wants to make it handicap accessible or not.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time
    02:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am becoming more and more limited in what I can do. If I liked golf, and it comes to the point I'm in a wheelchair, I'd be thrilled to have something left to be able to do, that I love to do. On the other hand, I also understand the extra costs the other golfers would have because of a few. I think it should be up to the owner of a golf course if he/she wants to make it handicap accessible or not.
    That's the problem----it's not up to the owners----it's the law, and a bad one in my opinion. You leave yourself open to big law suits if you do not comply.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:40 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Private enterprise should be able to decide who they wish to cater to. If it's a city park then it's a different issue.

+ Reply to Thread