+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hope of Righteousness.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    01:13 PM

The Hope of Righteousness.

A scripture caught my attention in Galations 5:5;" For we through the Spirit, by Faith, are waiting for the Hope of Righteousness."

I have little Faith and do not have Gods Spirit, but I certainly can relate to " Waiting for the Hope of Righteousness." What does the Hope of Righteousness mean? Righteousness is legitimate virtuous behavior and thinking. Oh how I admire that, and long to have it myself. When you don't have something, its easy to long for it, desire it truthfully. When the bible speaks of it, often to me it seems " Lofty', something out of reach, just hardly real. Yet I know a few people who are like this surreal standard, my mother being one. I mean its just how she really is. There is no fake in her, I know her. And she has been consistantly this way for the 55 years I have observed her.

I am one of those who this thing has passed up, so I " Wait for the Hope of Righteousness" to hit me.

And I think Righteousness is what the world needs. And seriously lacks.

And I want to go into this seemingly fading charactheristic in humans.

Peace.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    09:13 PM

Re: The Hope of Righteousness.

No we need a lot less of it. All around the world the righteous inflict their righteous anger on those they disapprove of in the sure and certain knowledge that what they do is justified by god. The righteous make life hell for everybody given half a chance.

A plague on all their houses.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    No we need a lot less of it. All around the world the righteous inflict their righteous anger on those they disapprove of in the sure and certain knowledge that what they do is justified by god. The righteous make life hell for everybody given half a chance.

A plague on all their houses.
    Well you have observed the wrong standard of righteousness, and thus have concluded that to be the correct standard example. I am saddened that many others have observed the same way. People don't need a plague on their houses, they need a clear understanding of what true righteousness really is.

And I want to go into that.

Peace.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

My hope in life is to one day be as close as I can to being right in all of my ways and being. To have a clear understanding of righteousness and goodness. And to live and think according to those ways. To reach a place in my Consciousness, that all which I do, will be benefical to others.

Pretty lofty goals. Yet they are my true hearts desire.

Is such a thing even possible?

Peace.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Well you have observed the wrong standard of righteousness, and thus have concluded that to be the correct standard example. I am saddened that many others have observed the same way. People don't need a plague on their houses, they need a clear understanding of what true righteousness really is.

And I want to go into that.

Peace.
    And why not? If not on an open discussion forum then where? What is it you are afraid of - do you fear having someone questioning your belief may in turn make you question it yourself? Why are religious people so afraid of freethinkers?

You are not in a position to define what a true standard of righteousness is imo but if you believe you are why not have the courage of your convictions? We will probably end up agreeing to disagree but where those who claim to be righteous refuse discourse all it leaves is conflict. Just have look at the middle east where the righteous are on both sides and incapable of discourse. That's why I put it to you we need less righteousness. Is a righteous man flying a plane in to the twin towers more or less righteous than one setting a bomb in omagh?

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

And why not? If not on an open discussion forum then where? What is it you are afraid of - do you fear having someone questioning your belief may in turn make you question it yourself? Why are religious people so afraid of freethinkers?

?

I am not a religious person, I consider myself a freethinker. And I fear conversation with no person, I welcome any discussion, I answer all questions asked of me. Yet, unlike you, I don't have a chip on my shoulder about all this, I know were in trouble in this world. Instead of being angry about it, I study it.

And what the world needs now, Is Righteousness.

And it just does not have it.

Andf I want to go into that.

Peace.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

Strange how people assume I am religious just because I believe in God and the bible. Its because in their minds, they cannot be seperated. I am not attracted to religion, but I am attracted to God and HIS righteousness.

That intrest me for sure, and I want to go into that most interesting subject, Righteousness!

Peace.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

I am not a religious person, I consider myself a freethinker. And I fear conversation with no person, I welcome any discussion, I answer all questions asked of me. Yet, unlike you, I don't have a chip on my shoulder about all this, I know were in trouble in this world. Instead of being angry about it, I study it.

And what the world needs now, Is Righteousness.

And it just does not have it.

Andf I want to go into that.

Peace.
    Strange how people always assume I have chip on my shoulder because I welcome any discussion about religion - and politics come to that. I also am a freethinker but more in the sense of someone who forms opinions on the basis of reason, independent of authority or tradition, and yes whose opinions differ from established religious belief to the extent I am not religious. Synonyms for a freethinker, remember, are skeptic, agnostic; atheist. I've had many an amiable discussion about religion with all shades of the belief spectrum. The only ones I might concede to having a small chip about are the self righteous bigots who believe only they have all the answers and belief that gives them the right to do as they please. You don't need religion to be righteous but religion can make a righteous man a puppet on a string. Without the secularisation of society we would all be still in the dark ages.
    Last edited by gmc; 07-07-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

Strange how people always assume I have chip on my shoulder because I welcome any discussion about religion - and politics come to that. I also am a freethinker but more in the sense of someone who forms opinions on the basis of reason, independent of authority or tradition, and yes whose opinions differ from established religious belief to the extent I am not religious. Synonyms for a freethinker, remember, are skeptic, agnostic; atheist. I've had many an amiable discussion about religion with all shades of the belief spectrum. The only ones I might concede to having a small chip about are the self righteous bigots who belief only they have all the answers and believe that gives them the right to do as they please. You don't need religion to be righteous but religion can make a righteous man a puppet on a string. Without the secularisation of society we would all be still in the dark ages.
    Well your sounding more reasonable, thats a good thing. You don't have to argue and beat on everyone you discuss things with, and I am in no mood for unreasonable debate. I agree with more of what you say this time. Espically " Religion can make a righteous man a puppet on a string", your profoundly correct there.

Peace.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Well your sounding more reasonable, thats a good thing. You don't have to argue and beat on everyone you discuss things with, and I am in no mood for unreasonable debate. I agree with more of what you say this time. Espically " Religion can make a righteous man a puppet on a string", your profoundly correct there.

Peace.
    Surely the whole point of a discussion forum is to discourse with people whose opinions you disagree with? It's a bit pointless if we all just agree with each other. Unreasonable debate to me is when an opinion is expressed and no one is supposed to disagree. You and I are dissenters and protestants an intellectual position that would have got you killed at times in the past had you dared express it. Perhaps it is in the nature of the religious that they cannot tolerate those who will not agree with them. Muslim and christian are both he same, those who will not agree and conform must be silenced at all costs with a righteous wrath against their perfidy.

You yourself are also sounding more reasonable - I'll admit I had you pegged as one of those who quote bits of scripture and think that is the start, middle and end of all discussion and think no one should dare to disagree. Yet again I reiterate we do not need the righteous and their insane anger against those who do not agree with them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast