Thread: Dogs as slaves

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    03:10 PM

Re: Dogs as slaves

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    The relationship is never even. Your dog has to accept you as number one with him/her subservient to you, otherwise your life would be a misery. As long as you both get out precisely what you want/need/expect (ie love, companionship, walks, food etc) then both parties are happy surely. A dog and/or owner who dont know their positions with each other just creates problems. Slave/ Master is maybe a simplistic way of describing it. It doesnt really allow for the relationship between dog and Man
    Remember what King Kong looked like to you the first time you saw that as a child? The awe you experienced? We loose that perspective as we grow and our intellect develops, but I doubt a dog or cat or most other species have the capacity to change that perspective because their brain stops developing. They may see us permanently as we first experienced King Kong or Godzilla.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    02:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Some people have slaves for sex. Perhaps what dogs provide for us is a feeling of importance and superiority?
    If that's what your dog is for you, I urge you to give your dog up to a rescue organization.

Folks like to use terms to stir the beast and conversations, I understand that. But my dog? I've canceled vacation for that dog. I've gotten her shots when I couldn't afford it, in the past. My dog is a member of the family. My dog makes us play keep away with that ball in her mouth as often as she drops it for me to throw for her.

You may feel the need to apologize for your relationship with your pup. I don't.... and I think it's sad that you do simply because of someone else's viewpoint.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    08:10 PM

Thank goodness I never mentioned the Emergency Rations In Hard Times option.

The relationship between the domesticated dog and humans was part of a general discussion of intrinsic mammalian behaviors, and pointed out that man has the capacity to be awed by what he interprets as God. I wondered whether the mechanism of both canine-to-human and human-to-God responses relies on the same mental state. It was, as you can imagine, a speculative approach but it's probably testable.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Do you think dogs see a member of a different species as a pack member? I see my dogs vying for pack leader, but when I enter the room they act as if to worship me. They lick my feet, sit before me as if to be at attention and when i stand up or do something like move a chair for them to get their ball from under it the awe in their eyes is obvious. They must see us as a super species of sorts.
    Very much as a pack leader - I've seen families where the owners tried to treat the dogs as "one of the children" and never managed to get the pack leader role. Total chaos.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    02:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post

The relationship between the domesticated dog and humans was part of a general discussion of intrinsic mammalian behaviors, and pointed out that man has the capacity to be awed by what he interprets as God. I wondered whether the mechanism of both canine-to-human and human-to-God responses relies on the same mental state. It was, as you can imagine, a speculative approach but it's probably testable.
    Sorry dear, not ignoring your contribution but also not pulling the thesaurus or dictionary for this discussion. So i'll just say hi!
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

It would take a lot more words to say the same thing in Basic English.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post

I believe I recall you making very similar statements on FG a couple of times not in this context, but in threads about general pet ownership. Are you going to make me search for them?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    If that's what your dog is for you, I urge you to give your dog up to a rescue organization.

Folks like to use terms to stir the beast and conversations, I understand that. But my dog? I've canceled vacation for that dog. I've gotten her shots when I couldn't afford it, in the past. My dog is a member of the family. My dog makes us play keep away with that ball in her mouth as often as she drops it for me to throw for her.

You may feel the need to apologize for your relationship with your pup. I don't.... and I think it's sad that you do simply because of someone else's viewpoint.
    My intentions were not to apologize for my relationship with the family members classified as pets but instead to crystallize it. I now have a deeper appreciation and respect for them as a species.

We've also gone the extra distance for our pets. But when you consider the fact that a dog never really gets beyond that of a 4 year old child, and yet think of them, as many of us do, as protectors and companions when we tower over them in every conceivable way theres got to be something more to the issue.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Ahso, it really depends on the size of the dog, if you need one to protect you. Also the dog must accept you as pack leader, and any other members of your family must be ahead of the dog in pecking order. I believe this can be done by always feeding the dog after the humans have fed. I have found that a dog accepts the person that feeds it as pack leader, particularly if that person is male. In my case, however, the alpha female (me) mostly fed our dog. My hubby mostly walked him, along with my son. The order in our particular pack was, hubby (alpha male), son (second), and then myself (alpha female), and the dog accepted without question that he came fourth at all times. Our dog was a German Shepherd, which we adopted from the dog shelter aged 8 years, so it was essential that we started as we meant to go on, and our dog was never confused by mixed messages - he soon learnt, who was 'boss', and it was always done with kindness. He was never smacked, and was always rewarded with a small treat for doing as we asked him. At the age of 8 he was very willing to learn, and he learnt a lot very quickly. Consequently he was a joy to have around, and a delight to take out. He knew he was much loved and returned our love one hundred fold. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I say that is absolute rubbish!

At no time was he a slave - he was another family member.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Ahso, it really depends on the size of the dog, if you need one to protect you. Also the dog must accept you as pack leader, and any other members of your family must be ahead of the dog in pecking order. I believe this can be done by always feeding the dog after the humans have fed. I have found that a dog accepts the person that feeds it as pack leader, particularly if that person is male. In my case, however, the alpha female (me) mostly fed our dog. My hubby mostly walked him, along with my son. The order in our particular pack was, hubby (alpha male), son (second), and then myself (alpha female), and the dog accepted without question that he came fourth at all times. Our dog was a German Shepherd, which we adopted from the dog shelter aged 8 years, so it was essential that we started as we meant to go on, and our dog was never confused by mixed messages - he soon learnt, who was 'boss', and it was always done with kindness. He was never smacked, and was always rewarded with a small treat for doing as we asked him. At the age of 8 he was very willing to learn, and he learnt a lot very quickly. Consequently he was a joy to have around, and a delight to take out. He knew he was much loved and returned our love one hundred fold. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I say that is absolute rubbish!

At no time was he a slave - he was another family member.
    That's beautiful Gill. Good for Rex and your family to have had such wonderful years together

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast