Thread: Dogs as slaves

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    07:07 AM

Dogs as slaves

You're a smart man, Spot.

I've been observing my relationship with my dogs and I've got to agree its one of slave and master. Funny, I've never recognized it before. Its only since I've been trying to understand how they see me that that has become evident. I'd like to believe its companionship for all and that I'm just a good person giving a needy animal a decent place to live, but I guess I've fooled myself again.

Well, I'm already in this and I need to make the best of it. Thanks for the heads up.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    06:07 AM

Re: Dogs as slaves

I got up at 6 am today to take my dog for her walk before it got hot out today. She sits home all day eating, drinking, sleeping and playing with her pack-mate(my daughter). She was trained(like her pack-mate was trained) to go to the bathroom in certain places. Unlike her pack-mate, she doesn't have to clean up after anyone that decides to get into the garbage or eat a leftover wrapper from supper for fun. No one cleans my toilet and yet hers is scooped at least weekly. I make my meals and hers. I brush my hair and hers. I have one pool in my back yard - it's a wading pool for her(not me or her pack-mate). If I'm going out to garden she likes to hang with me and just lays in the pool of fresh cold water watching me sweat...

My dog is no more a slave than she would be to any alpha bitch she lived with.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    You're a smart man, Spot.

I've been observing my relationship with my dogs and I've got to agree its one of slave and master. Funny, I've never recognized it before. Its only since I've been trying to understand how they see me that that has become evident. I'd like to believe its companionship for all and that I'm just a good person giving a needy animal a decent place to live, but I guess I've fooled myself again.

Well, I'm already in this and I need to make the best of it. Thanks for the heads up.
    having more than one there is always a pack leader, which is the dog who leads them, stays with them, they do what she/he does.

You are in command.

You should start watching 'The Dog Whisperer' or go to the site, and Cesar Milan can help you.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

My dog wants out, she goes to the door, I let her out. She wants food, she goes to her bowl, I feed her. If she is out of water, she barks at the sink, I get up and get her water. She has me well trained.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

But isn't it true that just about any freedom the dog enjoys is at your behest. In any slave/master relationship the master provides for the needs of the slave. We don't have to provide food and water to the dog if we choose not to. Then what?

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    04:07 AM

In this context yes we are the master. Unless your like my 2 dogs were if they didn't get what they wanted at home they would just go next door and get it there, or the next house they had several master in the neighborhood.

But isn't it true that just about any freedom the dog enjoys is at your behest. In any slave/master relationship the master provides for the needs of the slave. We don't have to provide food and water to the dog if we choose not to. Then what?
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Slaves were used to help make money. Dogs just cost money.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Do you think dogs see a member of a different species as a pack member? I see my dogs vying for pack leader, but when I enter the room they act as if to worship me. They lick my feet, sit before me as if to be at attention and when i stand up or do something like move a chair for them to get their ball from under it the awe in their eyes is obvious. They must see us as a super species of sorts.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    12:07 PM

The relationship is never even. Your dog has to accept you as number one with him/her subservient to you, otherwise your life would be a misery. As long as you both get out precisely what you want/need/expect (ie love, companionship, walks, food etc) then both parties are happy surely. A dog and/or owner who dont know their positions with each other just creates problems. Slave/ Master is maybe a simplistic way of describing it. It doesnt really allow for the relationship between dog and Man
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    Slaves were used to help make money. Dogs just cost money.
    Some people have slaves for sex. Perhaps what dogs provide for us is a feeling of importance and superiority?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast